Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CP's reaction to the question of new faces post Wed interview

It struck me as odd his reaction to the question "Will we have new players at all?" when asked about the up coming palace game.
His immediate reaction was to laugh, and with a wiry smile, scratch his head. But I took it as a defeated laugh. The body language wasn't positive. He looked and sounded resigned to the fact we will not get anyone in. He then said,"That's a great question...If we do, great, If we don't, we just get on with it."

Now he maybe a cunning man ( Fuller signing comes to mind) but to me he isn't expecting anything in this window.

Comments

• Waggy has been superb the past three games and with Wiggins on the way back I don't think there's now any pressing need for a left sided midfielder, as Evina could also play that role. Up front a player of Fuller's quality can't even get a game and Haynes should also be back soon, so I'm not sure that we need another striker either. Perhaps another quality midfielder like Kinsella if there is one out there, but other than that I'm quite happy with what we've got. We've just got to stop throwing away games like we did on Saturday!
  • An experienced CM and another striker i think will improve this. Everywhere else i think we are covered considering the financial resources we have or lack of.
  • seeing as we don't have a pot to p**s in the only way we are likely to sign someone is if a player leaves first...........seeing as Waggy is back in favour that really only leaves Green and BWP and as the latter's contract runs out in July I doubt if anyone will pay much for him.

so its No from me.
  • Well so long as we don't sell any of our top players, I'll settle for no new ones in too, assuming we can actually keep Haynes fit for more than two games.
  • ?....assuming we can actually keep Haynes fit for more than two games.

Sadly I think there is little chance of this.
  • Is Haynes fit again soon? back for his three game stint cannot wait. In all honesty though I wish people would forget about Haynes as he will never be injury free.
  • Is Haynes fit again soon? back for his three game stint cannot wait. In all honesty though I wish people would forget about Haynes as he will never be injury free.

I'm sure loads others would have said the same about Van Persie few years back. I will keep the faith thanks.
  • Think Powell suggesting it could be a mental issue with Haynes is a pretty bad sign
  • How can pulling your hamstring be a mental thing?
  • How can pulling your hamstring be a mental thing?

Agree Clem I thought it was an odd comment too, having pulled one many moons ago it wasn't mental it was physical and it hurt like a bastard!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2013
    Greenie said:

How can pulling your hamstring be a mental thing?

Agree Clem I thought it was an odd comment too, having pulled one many moons ago it wasn't mental it was physical and it hurt like a bastard!
    That's some thorough and statistically sound research you've done there Greenie. I suggest you send CP your findings post haste so he can rule it out as a possible cause of Danny's issues.
  • Greenie said:

That's some thorough and statistically sound research you've done there Greenie. I suggest you send CP your findings post haste so he can rule it out as a possible cause of Danny's issues.
    So you are saying you can mentally pull a hamstring?
  • It can hamper your comeback. It ended Youga's career effectively. CP said that was mental as well.
  • edited January 2013
    Well Powell said either it's something that he and the doctors have never seen before, or it could be mental.
  • Greenie said:

So you are saying you can mentally pull a hamstring?
    You're mind controls pretty much everything your body does. There are all sorts of weird connections between different parts of the body. He might just be scared of doing it again so subconciously running in a certain way that actually puts more strain on his hamstrings and makes them more likely to pull/tear.

My main point was though, that tearing your own hamstring does not make you an expert on all hamstring injuries.
  • Rob62 said:

Well Powell said either it's something that he and the doctors have never seen before, or it could be mental.

I was and am perplexed by what he said, but I don't know much about high performance sports people. I would be very interested to hear from someone like Melrose on the weight loss thread, he seems to know his stuff in this area.
  • Rob62 said:

Hmm, maybe we need a faith healer like Eileen Drewery...
  • He may be so mentally consumed by it going again that he trains differently he doesn't warm up enough , he over warms up all not the right thing to do and none Of us know

Seems a very logical and reasoned argument to me
  • He may be so mentally consumed by it going again that he trains differently he doesn't warm up enough , he over warms up all not the right thing to do and none Of us know

• Rob62 said:

Not quite. He said it "might be". And that they were looking into it.

The inference I took was that CP suspected there might be a mental aspect to it. I'm not an expert but I've been doing some work with a rehab company in Croydon and they talk a lot about the physcological side of recovery.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Board will be thinking "we are mid-table" with little chance of going up this year and unlikely to go down. We will keep any available funds for the summer when there are better bargains and lots of players out of contract.
    How can you argue with that?

I agree. Or it could even be the moment he feels a slight twinge in his leg he panics about the severity simply because he has pulled it before, its hanging over his head. I seem to remember Youga had a similar problem a couple of years back, I could be wrong on that one.
  • Evina is definately not the answer as a left midfielder, his is beginning to look like a adequate substitute for Wiggins, but to me he doesn't look as if he can beat a fullback, Wiggins on the other hand could, so if you are going down that route, I would be more inclined to playWiggins in midfield.
  • You know f'all about football
  • elaborate, Evina in midfield not a hope, can't beat a player
  • Don't let him talk to you like that Steve.
  • Lol I'm awaiting his pearls of wisdom, how are you mate you and Doyley moved in yet ?
  • elaborate, Evina in midfield not a hope, can't beat a player

In recent games I have seen Evina beat the fullback on numerous occasions. I'm not saying he is the answer to the left mid problem though...
  • I dont think we have a pot to piss in.

I do think we really need to get a CM in whether it be on perm or on loan. Imagine if we pick up a couple of injuries to our CM. We would be really scrapping the barrel.
  • Lol I'm awaiting his pearls of wisdom, how are you mate you and Doyley moved in yet ?

It's a touchy subject mate. One of us will give you the full story next time we see you.

Couple of us are doing Peterbrough if you and Joe fancy it on the Tuesday.