Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

HS2

Comments

• Options
    200 mph to Birmingham and then a replacement bus service!

Not enough capacity for competition so fares to Manchester will still be sky high before midday.

Oh well.
  • Options
    It’s ok, Rishi says everyone can use their cars so that’s fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I see in the list of transport infrastructure projects that will now go ahead due to the savings from scrapping HS2 there is no mention of the Lower Thames Crossing?
  • Options
    the £36bn will be reprofiled; and be used for tax cuts 
    Spread over 10 years that's about 50 quid per year each. Not to be sniffed at but not exactly a game changer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was a white elephant from the outset .. I recall Johnson at the peak of his pomp, when whatever he said was taken as gospel screaming that the 'project will go ahead all guns blazing' or words to that affect .. there has been untold damage to the environment and to the property and prospects of people in its path as well as uncounted wasted billions of pounds .. the project brought more prosperity to the west side of England at the neglect of the east .. the east-west railway system needs urgent upgrading as well infrastructure in the far west
    I wrote months ago that the best thing now is to convert the now redundant rail pathways into roads, as his been done in this area with railways abandoned as far back  as the Beeching era
  • Options
    I feel for the poor people who had to move house. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    the £36bn will be reprofiled; and be used for tax cuts 
    Thanks Rishi
  • Options
    I have been against HS2 from the beginning but we are so far down the road that we have to finish it. The problem with it is there will be clear benefits but they are for the long term not now. Mind you, the Victorians built the railways for the long term.
  • Options
    I suspect if they had built the much needed Hull-Leeds-Manchester-Liverpool bit first they wouldn't have cancelled it half way through.
  • Options
    Sorry, being lazy here. 

How much time does/would the HS lines take off of the journeys between:   

London Birmingham
    London Manchester
    Manchester Birmingham
    Manchester Leeds 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Sorry, being lazy here. 

London Birmingham
    London Manchester
    Manchester Birmingham
    Manchester Leeds 

The following figures were provided by the Department for Transport and reprinted in The Times.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hs2-time-save-route-line-london-b1109490.html

Route

Current time

Journey made by HS2

Time saved

London to Birmingham

1hr 21

45 minutes

36 minutes

London to Manchester (Cancelled)

2hr 6

1hr 55

55 minutes

London to Leeds (Cancelled)

2hr 13

1hr 21

52 minutes

Birmingham to Manchester (Cancelled)

1hr 26

41 minutes

45 minutes

Birmingham to Leeds (Cancelled)

1hr 58

49 minutes

69 minutes

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Sorry, being lazy here. 

London Birmingham
    London Manchester
    Manchester Birmingham
    Manchester Leeds 
    is this before, after or during strikes ?  :*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel for the poor people who had to move house. 
    They'll be watching them be resold now for a huge mark up and the farmers lands will probably soon be housing developments. Still money to be creamed off of this yet. 
  • Options
    That's the inherent flaw in democracy, it puts a focus on the short term, only things that can be completed by the next election cycle so that those who instigated the policy can then claim the benefit whilst campaigning for reelection.

Of course the founders of our democracy saw this flaw and instigated a second chamber to counter-act it, a chamber filled with those who could look at the long term as they wouldn't be obsessing about the next election above everything else.

The problem with that is the short term obsessed MPs have broken the system. There should be no such thing as a "Tory Peer" or a "Labour Peer", once the two houses are aligned along party lines then the upper house no longer functions as intended.

So whilst those who call for the abolition of the lords are correct, it is broken and needs scrapping, usually miss the point that a second house, concerned with the long term well being of the country over the petty concerns of winning the next election, is vital to successful governance. 
     The whole political thing is a joke.

I see so many good people in this country really making a difference with talent and good ideas that could really move us forward if they were given the chance.

Then I look at the elected Bozo's that are put up to run the country. Talentless, egotistical knuckle heads without the first clue about what is going on in the country they are supposed to represent.

I know it's ' always been that way' but it doesn't make it right.
    And it's getting worse. And nothing I've seen from any of these in power and those vying for it are going to make it any better.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    All week Rishi had been saying no decision had been made. Then they release an announcement video that had been filmed before he even left Downing Street for the conference. 
    A politician that lies? Shirley shone mishtake.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Its really not about time saved, even if that's a bonus, it's the massive capacity upgrade it gives the network, and the off-shoot benefits for Northern Powerhouse Rail. 

Weirdly the time argument isn't used for the Elizabeth line, even thought it knocks 10 minutes off journeys, it's a mainly a capacity play. 
    Exactly this, the time benefits should always have been stated as a small bonus on top of this. In addition it should have been used to promote the net zero targets, encouraging more train use and less car/plane travel to these destinations. Creating more jobs and as you mention the Northern powerhouse economic benefits. I would add lower prices on the existing lines but we all know that probably wouldn't materialise given the privatisation of our railway network.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Rothko said:
    Its really not about time saved, even if that's a bonus, it's the massive capacity upgrade it gives the network, and the off-shoot benefits for Northern Powerhouse Rail. 

Weirdly the time argument isn't used for the Elizabeth line, even thought it knocks 10 minutes off journeys, it's a mainly a capacity play. 
    Exactly this, the time benefits should always have been stated as a small bonus on top of this. In addition it should have been used to promote the net zero targets, encouraging more train use and less car/plane travel to these destinations. Creating more jobs and as you mention the Northern powerhouse economic benefits. I would add lower prices on the existing lines but we all know that probably wouldn't materialise given the privatisation of our railway network.
    Prices on high speed lines in Europe are often lower than the equivalent traditional lines. They are not regarded as a better "quality" option.
  • Options
    It was a political decision yesterday.
    Should this discussion be in the House of Commoners section of Charlton Life?