Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Is it possible to "compete" outside the top flight and break even?

13»

Comments

• razil said:

what if the Chumps played on weeknights, whenever there wasn't another game, that would bring in some revenue, and even 745 games on sat and sun?

Nice idea but just too late for the TV audiences in Asia. If the CCC is to be marketed in competition to the EPL, games would have to be played at lunchtime on Sat and Sun Asia time ie. about 5am GMT.

The sad reality is that for many proud English football clubs with decades of heritage and local loyalties, they are reduced to being a TV and gambling export product for people in Bangkok if they want to survive.
  • hmm so I'm back to my televised 3pm away games then..
  • edited January 2013
    razil said:

hmm so I'm back to my televised 3pm away games then..

Or just accept 2nd tier English football will never be as popular and therefore not as as lucrative as the best league in the world?
  • sportwey said:

sm said: The FA and FL are clearly not fit for purpose and I suspect the time for Government action has now come.

You may be right about the FA and the FL, but Government action is the answer? How would you have the Government solve the problem?

By giving the powers of the FA and FL to govern the game to a new body more representative of those who watch and are involved in the game. On the other hand you could have a body that jumps to the tune of Abramovich, the Glaziers, Murdoch and their ilk - and then complain when it acts in their interests rather than the game as a whole.
  • edited January 2013
    Love the idea of premium subscription for away games, even a decent 1/2 hour highlights package would be a vast improvement but perhaps that would kill the culture of away support that we have here but is missing in some countries?
    As I mentioned higher up the thread 14 of the Premier League are not so different to most of the Championship and yo-yo has to be a better strategy than that of QPR who are spending millions every window on trying to survive?
    When I first went to the Valley there were experiments with kick off times but to me it has to be about enhancing the matchday experience and marketing the club
    Parachute payments hmmm... just goes to the players and agents in long term contracts but hows about the government / authorities insist on the following:
    All clubs have relegation clauses in their player contracts cutting the basic deal by 50(?)% - unless of course the Premier League agree to share some more of the deal with the Championship
    A percentage of the tv deal goes straight to HMRC to cover money lost if clubs (in any division) go into administration
    That the super creditors rule be abolished whereby players and other clubs are given preference over everyone else if a club goes under - perhaps then players would be tempted to play for clubs with sound finances that will survive longer than a three year contract?

The alternative is that we stick with the status quo which has encouraged massive investment in the stadia and playing squads over the last 20 years... and trust that CAFC can continue on its way back up the leagues with shrewd management and good player acquisition... but this will never be on a break even basis and there will always be a risk that clubs at our level topple over!
  • Perhaps parachutes should be phased out and clubs obliged to include relegation clauses
  • Relegation clauses will only work if they are going to be salary caps based on each division.

If all wages have to drop by, say, 50% that won't help if Man City are relegated and their owner stops pumping money in!
  • I have just seen a set of numbers showing that ten of the Championship clubs owe £700 million between them! Yep that's £70M each and they are losing an average of £9M each per season. So maybe some fire sales of players this summer and some decent players rolling up at the Valley on the cheap?

On the other hand there are a few clubs who owe less than £10M because they have spent their money wisely when in the Premier League
  • In the future I think we will have two options:
    1 - to go to live matches
    2 - to watch a live feed from our TV's computers, probably in 3D.
    A season ticket for live TV would be considerably cheaper than for attending live games.
    Man U and Liverpool would do very well out of such a scheme.
    I think we would still be second tier.
    At the end of the day player contracts have to be reined in, as they surely are now in the Champs.