Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hip Replacements

Hi
Anyone got experience with total hip replacements. After 15 years of ever worsening arthritis now on waiting list for a hip replacement. Am 50 and otherwise fairly fit, expect to be in pain immediately afterwards but really interested in recovery time. Registrar said I could be back at work in 2-4 weeks (office job) could this be true ? The positive side of waiting lists is that it will be in the close season so will not miss any games.

Any help/experience appreciated. Thanks Kim

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Lady Irving (or Sister Irving as she is at work) says

If really debilitating do it but otherwise avoid as, with current technology, it has to be replaced after 10 years.

If you go with it commit to the rehab and exercise. 4 weeks sounds more likely than two but your fitness helps.

Who's the surgeon and where? Check their results
  • Options
    Really good surgeon at UCHL.convinced I am doing the right thing. Just a bit worried about he aftercare
  • Options
    And good luck. Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    My Mum going through this now and will be having the op next month. She is fit but got to the point that the constant pain, lack of sleep and not being able to walk more than 100 yards pushed her to have it done. Rehab must be done after the op but not sure exactly what this contails yet. you will have 4 or 5 days recovering if on NHS but you cannot drive after for 6 weeks and will be on crutches for most of that time. As Henry says, life span of the tech is about 10 years. make sure you dont have a metal on metal replacement joint and that the joint is not made in China where I am told problems have arisen. The NHS are arranging for my Mum to have daily visits re washing / dressing etc etc after. you cannot cross your legs after the op or else there is a chance the new ball joint will pop out! good luck.
  • Options
    Routine surgery these days carried out under a local anaesthetic. Recovery is usually without complication and for most people it is life changing. Do not expect to be completely pain free even some years post op. Good luck. I'm sure everything will go extremely well.
  • Options
    Kimbo, I'm 53 and had mine done 3 years ago. It's the best decision I ever made. I was in so much pain it was unbelievable. I was in and out of hospital in 3 days and walking with sticks after a week. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks but I was ready to go back to work after because I had extensive aqua therapy. That's just walking up and the length of a swimming pool for those 6 weeks. Although I was ready to go back after 6 weeks, the doctor had signed me off for 4 months and my occupational health person wouldn't let me come back and even then I had to have a phased return but that's the public sector for you. Only downsides are the muscle hasn't repaired properly around the scar so I have a slight limp and I set off the metal detectors at airports all the time so be prepared for a strip search every time you go on holiday. Good luck
  • Options
    Had mine removed and a bolt fitted through pelvis and screwed into right femur in 1968 at the tender age of 14. All my movement is the pelvis rocking at the base of my spine and my right leg is 2 and a bit shorter than t'other. Nothing to do with your forthcoming procedure I realise but, my bits are titanium and don't bother the airport security gear. See if titanium is an option for you. :-)
  • Options
    My hip's titanium with a ceramic ball but it still sets off the metal detector. Agree that it shouldn't but mine does and that's why I carry a 'I've had a hip replacement' card.
  • Options
    Apologies VMcM. I thought maybe it was due to some other metal being used.
  • Options
    No need to apologise Wickford. It's just a discussion. Kimbo needs all the info she can get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks folks as you say I need all the info I can get. Everyone seems to say I will feel much better once it is done.
  • Options
    Op next Tuesday!! Will let u know how I get on.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    My dad sailed through both of his in his 70s. Sore for a bit obviously but he was up and out of there in a few days. Didn't have at same time tho.

Sorry, good luck.

• Options
    Hello, im a nurse who currently works on an orthopedic ward at dvh and we have loads of hip and knee patients. You'll be fine kimbo, just got to have it in your head to get up and go the day after.
  • Options
    Good luck Kimbo.

Fear I am up for a knee replacement soon. I am 50 and have been too heavy for years (getting sorted now) so am not particularly fit, dreading it tbh. Although have read that being a big lump most of my life (pre fat club days...) might help me out in this instance as the a larger knee joint takes the replacement better.
  • Options
    Hope all goes well Kimbo.

I had a knee replacement in March and although it was hard going in the first few weeks, I'm glad I had it done. I suspect that I will be needing hip replacements as well in the next few years.
  • Options
    My Dad is waiting to go in DVH for a knee replacement, likely to be before Xmas. He's had a bad knee for years but its so bad now he cant walk more than 10 yards as his leg has bowed as a result. He' s put it off a few times as he was desperate to get a few jobs done around the house as his best mate had both knees replaced in the last 12 months and he's apparently been struggling badly to walk since. I think we'll all be glad when he's had it done so he actually gets some quality of life again. It distressing to see a 66 year old man look more like 86.
  • Options
    you'll be fine .. replacement hips are the new 'false teeth' .. commonplace and life changing .. good luck
  • Options
    wickford said:

Had mine removed and a bolt fitted through pelvis and screwed into right femur in 1968 at the tender age of 14. All my movement is the pelvis rocking at the base of my spine and my right leg is 2 and a bit shorter than t'other. Nothing to do with your forthcoming procedure I realise but, my bits are titanium and don't bother the airport security gear. See if titanium is an option for you. :-)

Wickford, was this due to CDH?
  • Options
    I had a personality transplant but my body rejected it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the best Kimbo. There's so much experience of these hip replacements these days, it sometimes staggered me to see just how quickly some quite elderly people recovered. Keep us up to date with how it goes please!