Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 12th March 1994 Man Utd 3 Charlton 1

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
F.A Cup Quarter Final. Man Utd 3 (0) Hughes 46, Kanchelskis 71, 75 Charlton Athletic 1 (0) Leaburn 77 Att: 44,347

Man Utd: Schmeichel, Parker (Sealey 44), Irwin, Bruce, Kanchelskis, Pallister, Cantona, Ince, Keane, Hughes, Giggs. Unused subs: McClair, Robson.

Charlton: Vaughan, Brown, Minto, Pardew, Balmer, McLeary, Robson, Pitcher, Leaburn, Grant (Walsh 57), Nelson. Unused Subs: Chapple, Bolder.

Referee: R. Hart (County Durham)

Schmeichel was sent off in the 44th minute for deliberately handling Kim Grants goalbound effort outside his area.

A massive 10,500 addicks made the trip to see Charlton play in their first cup quarter final since 1947

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Schmeichel was sent off in the 44th minute for deliberately handling Kim Grants goalbound effort outside his area.

A massive 10,500 addicks made the trip to see Charlton play in their first cup quarter final since 1947
    I thought Schmeichel was sent off for the foul on Kim Grant?
  • Options
    The bible according to Colin Cameron doth say that it was for handball and that he took Grant out in the process. Amen.
  • Options
    Oh no, I've been commiting heresy all these years! What shall I do?
  • Options
    A few of These will put things right.
  • Options
    Me and 3 other mates, all in our 30/40's went to some pub near the ground before the game. The bouncer asked where we were from. We told him London. He said sorry - Home only. Then he and his mate took another look at us and said " Go on lads, go in and have a pint. You don't look any bother".
    I didn't know whether to be pleased or insulted!
  • Options
    If a United pub was turning people away from London, then it would of been empty !

If was definate handball by Schmeical, though i don't think Grant's shot would of had the legs to make it. Definaltely one of those what if moments, because that incident changed the game and Man U really upped it in the second half.

Old Vaughny was a bit of a porker,wasn't he ?
  • Options
    Not sure about a bit of a porker, thought he was a dwarf myself!

Great shot stopper not a lot else.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It was a right pain getting tickets for this. I ended up on one of George Nobles coaches from Sussex as ticket and coach were his terms.
    Never realised that Cantona played. Don't remember him at all. Just the sight of Kanchelskis and Giggs tearing us apart in that 2nd half.
    I missed the Grant incident as it was 'beer o'clock' and my round. Came legging it back up the stairs to see what all the fuss was about.
    The false hope that we could actually do them came across loud and clear at half time "Things can only get better".
    I also remember half the people round me didn't know the words to VFR.
    Oh and I think this was my eldest lads 1st away game.
  • Options
    I missed this game as lack of funds meant I had to get a job to fund college. I was stuck in a crappy bookies near Waterloo station with a stereotypical utd fan. He went all quiet and hid in the back room at the sending off but was soon back for the second half.
  • Options
    Schmeichel was sent off in the 44th minute for deliberately handling Kim Grants goalbound effort outside his area.

From what I recall he dived straight at Kim Grant, who was later subbed as a consequence, on the tram back to the station some Manc fan tried to convince me it was never a sending off...yeah right.

Vaughan I remember made several great saves without which Man U would have scored two or more goals.

The other thing I recall was the queue to get tickets when they went on sale, I turned up and saw the queue stretching way back, after a while I got fed up and left and wrote to Chris Parkes saying how badly organised it was - plus there were rumours that some touts had bought dozens of tickets, as the Sub-standard had ads in the paper advertising tickets for sale I think there was truth in that rumour. A couple of days later he phoned me (at work too), apologised and told me there was a ticket for me if I wanted to collect it that evening. Good one Chris!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    man utd singing "10 men,we've only got 10 men!" for which we waited almost 13 years before we could give it to another side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

The other thing I recall was the queue to get tickets when they went on sale, I turned up and saw the queue stretching way back, after a while I got fed up and left and wrote to Chris Parkes saying how badly organised it was - plus there were rumours that some touts had bought dozens of tickets, as the Sub-standard had ads in the paper advertising tickets for sale I think there was truth in that rumour. A couple of days later he phoned me (at work too), apologised and told me there was a ticket for me if I wanted to collect it that evening. Good one Chris!

There was a total shambles when the tickets went on sale. As far as I remember the club announced that season ticket holders could have as many as they liked. VG/members could have 4 tickets and non members could have two. I got there at 10am when the tickets were due on sale only to find the queue stretched right up Lansdowne Mews and around into Charlton Lane. After being in the queue for an hour, the news filtered through that touts had bought fifty or more tickets each and the tickets were disappearing fast. The club then decided to limit the allocation further. No tickets were to be sold to non members. At the time I was a VG member but as I only wanted two tickets, I didn't bring my card with me. Some of the blokes around me were in a similar position so we agreed to hold places in the queue whilst we went back to get or membership cards. I borrowed my Dads who lived about half an hour away. When I got back a hour later the queue had moved about ten yard.

As for the game, it was a great day out. At half time and playing against 10 men, you started to believe. That lasted a couple minutes until that bar steward Mark Hughes scored from the acutest of angles. The game then just went away from us. I enjoyed the whole occasion if not the result.
  • Options
    Remember the touts selling them up and down the queue, they must have bought them and tried to sell them to the people in the queue who clearly had two or three hours wait.

Same thing happened against Sunderland. My mates slept outside after being in Floyds for the Sunderland game, Wish I had done the same. It was roasting that evening and the sales day, ended up queing for fcking hours.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Remember the touts selling them up and down the queue, they must have bought them and tried to sell them to the people in the queue who clearly had two or three hours wait.

Same thing happened against Sunderland. My mates slept outside after being in Floyds for the Sunderland game, Wish I had done the same. It was roasting that evening and the sales day, ended up queing for fcking hours.[/quote]

I queued for nearly five hours for my tickets vs Sunderland, after the Man U experience I wasn't leaving the place without one.

Speaking of the Man u ticket fiasco...was it true that a car that was parked nearby with Man U stickers on was turned over? Presumably while the owners were buying tickets for the game.
  • Options
  • Options
    Things can only get better ... 10k fans singing at halftime, what a moment.
  • Options
    one that will live long in the memory......I took a coach load up from West Kingsdown.....we only just made it as the players were about to kick off...happy, happy days
  • Options
    Remeber me and my dad getting to The Valley at 5.30 to queue up for these tickets.

What a day.
  • Options
    Kanchelskis was and probably still is the fastest player I've seen, in full flight he was awesome
  • Options
    Remember staying with Charlton mate in Southport the night before and going to the game by train. Lots of Bolton on the way, all wishing us well. They were in the cup that day too, and I think they came unstuck as well. Thought Hughes was tremendous for them, but pleased Leaburn pulled one back when it was too late. But as others have said, half time was the highlight.

Remember Ferguson saying the ref would be embarrassed when he saw the sending off again later, but it was a dead cert red. Shame we couldnt get near them second half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    20 years ago, but these guys really gave it a go against a top side.
  • Options
    Great day out, and yes we did give it a go
  • Options
  • Options
    Remember this , and 'Things Can Only Get Better' at half time when Schmeichal had been sent off and we really believed that it was our moment .

It was one of the last times I travelled up with the legendary 'leader' of the Charlton fans in the 70's and 80's Dennis Burgess.He had stopped going away regularly by this point and only got a ticket because I obtained a spare.Dennis now does not even go to home matches because he has caring responsibilities for his elderly mother although had we made Wembley I was going to contact him and see if he would go.

I think it was the only time I saw Cantona live , did he ever play against us again?
  • Options
    I was working on the railway at the time. My sisters boyfriend, was in the quee waiting to get tickets for about an hour then after seeing a tout get a good kicking for walking up and down the line trying to sell his tickets decided to give up. He hoped on a train and went up to Manchester and bought two tickets in the family stand.

On the day itself, we just waited outside the away end managed to swap with some Man Utd fans who had tickets in our end.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/13057825615

Also Souvenir Programme produced by The Charlton Supporters Club

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/13058135344

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    Was a student on my year abroad in Bordeaux - came back by coach just for the game... thought we were in with a shout at half time - can remember "Things can only get better" like it was yesterday. Giggs never ran that day, I remember him almost gliding over the pitch, once in the first half when he cut in from the left sticks in my mind.
  • Options
    Got back just in time for a pint at The Watermans Arms, in fact it was just after 11 but still got served.
  • Options

man utd singing "10 men,we've only got 10 men!" for which we waited almost 13 years before we could give it to another side.

And our response, "ten pence, we only cost ten pence!"

• Options
    20 years ago, blimey.