Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League - Sky and BT from next season...

Just seen this info on how the games will be split across the 2 networks from next season:

Package A (BT): 26 at Sat 12.45pm
- 13 1st picks
- 13 4th picks

Package B (BSkyB): 16-18 at Sat 5.30pm; 6-7 at Sun 12pm or 1.30pm/2.05pm; 2-3 Bank hols
- 22 3rd picks
- 4 5th picks

Package C (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 1.30pm/2.05pm
- 13 2nd picks
- 13 3rd picks

Package D (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm
- 20 1st picks
- 6 4th picks

Package E (BSkyB): 18-22 at Mon 8pm; 4-8 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm or Sat 12.45pm
- 12 2nd picks
- 10 4th picks
- 4 5th picks

Package F (BSkyB): 12 at Sat 5.30pm
- 8 2nd picks
- 4 4th picks

Package G (BT): 10 Midweek and Bank hols; 2 at Sat 12.45pm
- 5 1st picks
- 5 2nd picks
- 2 5th picks

Club Quotas (in alphabetical package order):
Maximum: 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2, 2 (Total = 28)
Minimum: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 (Total = 5)

Pick totals:
- 38 1st picks
- 38 2nd picks
- 35 3rd picks
- 33 4th picks
- 10 5th picks

From what I can make of the numbers it seems as though the biggest change is BT having (most of) the Saturday lunchtime games (in Package A) which I guess means they will grab some of the big ones which previously might have been shown Sundays on Sky.

Incredible that a team could be shown live 28 out of 38 games whilst some might only be on 5 times.

Also how many people actually have the BT Vision system? Seems like a massive amount of money for BT to spend on a such a small audience.

Comments

• Why do companies keep trying to take on Sky's premier league coverage? Sure fire way to an early bankruptcy
  • Big gamble on new customers over the summer. Disaster all over it. Sky always come out on top
  • Echo the above. Love them or loathe them, sky deliver every time.
  • I think in the first round of bidding BT actually tried to blow Sky out of the water and were on course for 5 of the 7 packages but in the next round Sky upped their bids and BT were left with just 2 packages....but at massively inflated prices
  • What will happen to ESPN ? Will BT launch their own channel on Sky ?
  • BT are massively cash rich so Sky will have even more problems in 3 years time.

BT Sports Channel will be on Sky and Virgin Media.
  • isnt it about time somebody other than sky started showing leauge football. Its very competative much more unpredictable
  • My dad worked for bt for 43 years and recently retired-bt are by no means rich, they are still recovering from £32billion pound of debt incurred from buying up 3G, which has been reduced massively, but they are still very much in debt. I would like there to be a viable competitor to sky-our sky sports has just gone up to £20 a month-apparently we had a half price discount for a year- and can no longer afford it. Can't see many people switching over to bt vision unfortunately.
  • Not sure what is going to happen with ESPN UK, seems as well as Premier League Football and Rugby they have also lost out on the below....

BT has secured multi-year rights deals to Serie A in Italy, Ligue 1 in France, Brasileiro in Brazil and Major League Soccer (MLS) in the USA.

From memory ESPN still have the rights to the FA Cup for the next few years, but they would need more than that to entice subscribers....maybe they could merge ESPN UK and ESPN America (the European version)?

• The problem I have with all these packages and splitting the coverage between different networks is that it's not had the desired effect.

The idea was to introduce competition, thus lowering prices to consumers.

What has happened instead is that competition has driven up wholesale prices and consumers are worse off as they now have to buy two different pay TV services instead of just one to get all the games.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have BT Vision and if they make as much of a hash of this venture they did of the recent software update of the TV decoder then it should be a monumental plummet.

Having said that it means we get to see more of Jake Humphreys which is never a bad thing.
  • Stream = all packages and some.
  • The problem I have with all these packages and splitting the coverage between different networks is that it's not had the desired effect.

The idea was to introduce competition, thus lowering prices to consumers.

What has happened instead is that competition has driven up wholesale prices and consumers are worse off as they now have to buy two different pay TV services instead of just one to get all the games.

As soon as the EU demanded that Sky lose their monopoly this was what I said would happen, something supposedly for the benefit of the consumer would only end up benefitting big business, because that was the real idea behind it.
  • Rothko said:

BT are massively cash rich so Sky will have even more problems in 3 years time.

I think you're clutching at straws there.
  • So what will the pubs do ? Will they be showing Saturday lunch time games ?
  • So what will the pubs do ? Will they be showing Saturday lunch time games ?

Only if they have BT Vision (unlikely) or pay the extra subscription to receive BT Sports Channel on Sky (depends on cost)

• Riviera said:

Rothko said:

BT are massively cash rich so Sky will have even more problems in 3 years time.

I think you're clutching at straws there.
    from a recent article on BT's move into sports content

"BT's business produces £2.2bn of free cash flow per a year and, in addition to investing in the nationwide rollout of its BT Infinity high speed broadband network and YouView TV service, a significant portion of that will be invested in the BT Sport offering."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/10/bt-gauntlet-sky-sports-coverage
  • The Guardian's view of a News International company? Don't think I'll bother ta.
  • Riviera said:

The Guardian's view of a News International company? Don't think I'll bother ta.

or from ITN consulting, but why let fact get in the way of anything

itnconsulting.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/bt-mounting-pay-tv-title-challenge-against-sky-or-is-it-virgin/

"BT, like Sky, have cash. Lots of it. The group generated £6bn profit last year (vs. Sky’s £1bn) with over £2bn free cash flow (vs. Sky’s £0.9bn). That’s the kind of backing that’s required if you’re going to take on Murdoch in pay-TV and come anywhere close to winning"

• No one touches Sky for sport. They are also making in-roads into home produced comedy and drama. As Sandy Togsvig said herself "I never envisaged myself producing programmes funded by Rupert Murdoch but they are the only people willing to spend money on new projects for TV in the UK."

Sky rock and BT will just go the same way as ESPN, Virgin and all those other companies that tried and failed to muscle in and I can't even remember what they were called now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does sky have a monopoly though? if they did, all premiership games would be on sky.

Fact is, the competition need to offer something differant to sky and hope it takes off but they are all just copying sky and sky will always win...

If you have a sky package and you like football, you will have sky sports, and if you can afford it, you will get the extra channel, ESPN, BT etc.

However, if you are a sky customer and you support one of the 72 clubs that are not in the prem, and you can see your club at least once a month on another channel, people would maybe give up their sky sub, for this new channel. Give it 5 years and establish yourselve with the lower league games and then take sky on, but everyone wants the top 4 and that is just boring....

btw, anyone who is paying full price for sky needs to call em up and cancel straight away. Ive never paid full price and currently pay just over £30 for all the channels in HD, plus phone and broadband. Ring em up and give em you 30 days notice and they will offer something off.
  • DanDavis said:

Just seen this info on how the games will be split across the 2 networks from next season:

- 13 1st picks
    - 13 4th picks

Package B (BSkyB): 16-18 at Sat 5.30pm; 6-7 at Sun 12pm or 1.30pm/2.05pm; 2-3 Bank hols
    - 22 3rd picks
    - 4 5th picks

- 13 2nd picks
    - 13 3rd picks

- 20 1st picks
    - 6 4th picks

- 12 2nd picks
    - 10 4th picks
    - 4 5th picks

- 8 2nd picks
    - 4 4th picks

- 5 1st picks
    - 5 2nd picks
    - 2 5th picks

Pick totals:
    - 38 1st picks
    - 38 2nd picks
    - 35 3rd picks
    - 33 4th picks
    - 10 5th picks

From what I can make of the numbers it seems as though the biggest change is BT having (most of) the Saturday lunchtime games (in Package A) which I guess means they will grab some of the big ones which previously might have been shown Sundays on Sky.

Incredible that a team could be shown live 28 out of 38 games whilst some might only be on 5 times.

Also how many people actually have the BT Vision system? Seems like a massive amount of money for BT to spend on a such a small audience.

I the only one who doesn't understand this at all ?
  • Riviera said:

No one touches Sky for sport. They are also making in-roads into home produced comedy and drama. As Sandy Togsvig said herself "I never envisaged myself producing programmes funded by Rupert Murdoch but they are the only people willing to spend money on new projects for TV in the UK."

Sky rock and BT will just go the same way as ESPN, Virgin and all those other companies that tried and failed to muscle in and I can't even remember what they were called now.

Setanta tried and went belly up.

• DanDavis said:

- 13 1st picks
    - 13 4th picks

- 22 3rd picks
    - 4 5th picks

- 13 2nd picks
    - 13 3rd picks

- 20 1st picks
    - 6 4th picks

- 12 2nd picks
    - 10 4th picks
    - 4 5th picks

- 8 2nd picks
    - 4 4th picks

- 5 1st picks
    - 5 2nd picks
    - 2 5th picks

Pick totals:
    - 38 1st picks
    - 38 2nd picks
    - 35 3rd picks
    - 33 4th picks
    - 10 5th picks

I the only one who doesn't understand this at all ?
    I would imagine so.
  • Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only SKY +HD
  • iaitch said:

Riviera said:

No one touches Sky for sport. They are also making in-roads into home produced comedy and drama. As Sandy Togsvig said herself "I never envisaged myself producing programmes funded by Rupert Murdoch but they are the only people willing to spend money on new projects for TV in the UK."

Setanta tried and went belly up.

I think the difference with BT is that they have the financial clout to stick around for 3 years and then push hard to try and get the majority of the Premier League matches in 2016. If Sky loses the majority of the rights people will start switching....BT know this.

• I think you'll find that those who run the EPL are too far down the road with Sky to ever switch.
    Sky saved English football, that should never be forgotten. I mean that by the way.
  • And you think the Premier League Chairman would accept say £500 mill from Sky over £800 mill a season from BT (or someone else)............no chance.
  • Sky will have the majority of EPL TV rights for as long as they want. Fact.
    Get over it.
  • Fecking hell Riveria not meaning to be rude but you come across (online) as someone with a serious attitude problem.