Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Buy your car" sites

Has anyone used one of these? I've got to sell my Focus, don't want to sell it privately as there are a number of problems with it.

Comments

• Options
    I still remember being quoted £180 for a car I eventually sold for £550. Be prepared to sell it for considerably less than it's worth. Or just get the work done and recoup the bill with the sale.
  • Options
    You can sell it privately and when you do the deal, just write a "sold as seen" receipt for it explaining the problems. As JaShea says, the sites will knock you for over 50% of the market value!
  • Options
    Yep - got 10% more than the part exchange offer and was paid what was quoted on line.
  • Options
    Had to sell the car 2 years ago in a hurry. Steered clear of the "webuyanycar" lot as their jingle is so irritating and googled a similar outfit (can't find the emails now sorry). Good service, ie; they were good on the phone, picked it up when I said so and paid direct to your a/c etc, but you do get a feeling with this sort of thing that you are being short changed on the price. Needs must at the time for me but I advise you to get it fixed and sell privately
  • Options
    The we buy any car mob have a place at my local car giant superstore

Are you trading in for a new one or are you just getting shot

If you are getting shot And the car is not a dear motor say between 500 and a 1000 then do it private the motors in that range during times of hardship go pretty quickly as the folks that buy them do so , so that every year or 18 months they get shot and scrap before the car costs them more than they paid for the car 1st time rd remember if you do this option the phrase bought as seen needs to be on your reciept and never bring it to someone get them to come to you

If the car is valued at £1000 and above expect to lose upto 60 % of its private resale value with a we buy any car company

• Options
    @NLA Getting shot of it, we're going down to one car for the time being.

It needs new brakes, timing belt, work on the electric window and a service. Can't justify the expenditure on it.

Looked at Auto Trader and dealers are selling similar for £2500.
  • Options
    BDL said:

It needs new brakes, timing belt, work on the electric window and a service. Can't justify the expenditure on it.

I'd stick it up for £2000 ono and be honest about the problems pal, you should get around £1700 - £1800 for it.
  • Options
    Stick it on ebay with a reserve of £500, describe the faults and you'll be surprised what people will ignore when they really want something
  • Options
    Yep tried to mug me off for my freelander offer 2700 when worth 4500
  • Options
    A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

eBay reserve at £1800
  • Options
    We Buy Any Car has, guess what, the exact same directors as a company called Carcraft which operates a car supermarket business and is connected to a number of other companies.
    Before dealing with any firm you may wish to check to see if it has been the subject of any investigations by the OFT and/or the FSA. You may be interested by what you read.
    oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-enforcement/consumer-enforcement-completed/cc-automotive/ fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/final/uk-car-group.pdf
    Whatever, it's a nice little earner, offer a price on the web which can be reduced once you actually pitch up at their physical office on account of your car's condition. WBAC will then remarket the car or if it's a dog, scrap it. Obviously everyone in the chain needs to make a profit, so I leave it to you to decide how "generous" their prices are.
    If you are selling privately the AA do a template form which you can get the buyer to sign basically saying "sold as seen no responsibility for any faults, etc." I've got a copy of it on another PC. Let me know if you want to see it.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

We Buy Any Car has, guess what, the exact same directors as a company called Carcraft which operates a car supermarket business and is connected to a number of other companies.
    Before dealing with any firm you may wish to check to see if it has been the subject of any investigations by the OFT and/or the FSA. You may be interested by what you read.
    oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-enforcement/consumer-enforcement-completed/cc-automotive/ fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/final/uk-car-group.pdf
    Whatever, it's a nice little earner, offer a price on the web which can be reduced once you actually pitch up at their physical office on account of your car's condition. WBAC will then remarket the car or if it's a dog, scrap it. Obviously everyone in the chain needs to make a profit, so I leave it to you to decide how "generous" their prices are.
    If you are selling privately the AA do a template form which you can get the buyer to sign basically saying "sold as seen no responsibility for any faults, etc." I've got a copy of it on another PC. Let me know if you want to see it.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm probably going to go down either EBay or autotrader and steer clear of the WBAC site.

If you have that template, I'd love a copy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Basically these sites will only offer the trade price of the car, ie what Glasses guide value the car at less any work that needs doing, and there own profit. The price they offer initially will be the guide price, and they will then reduce this value according to the work that needs doing, ie replacing tyres, repairing panels at @ £100-£200 a panel and mechanical repairs. In addition some cars are unpopular and are priced below book value (ie soft tops in winter, high mileage cars, cars in useless colours, or gas guzzlers). They then move the vehicle on through the trade who will then charge a lot more to retail it, or alternatively through the auctions which is why the true value has to be paid for the car, less the profit for the website. If you sell the car privately you will get a price between the trade price, and the retail price which includes warranty and consumer rights, plus the profit for the dealer (otherwise why else would he bother?), and the need to make a margin so they can pay an enhanced price for a part exchange above trade price which customers demand.
  • Options
    I just sold my freelander complete with damaged gearbox on ebay for 500 quid, I had to cancel the guy that I was going to pay to take it away. Sold as seen breaking for parts. ;)
  • Options
    Best way mate

if a dealer has a similar car for 2.5 k then yours with the issues you say then if you get over 1500 for it you have done really well

Sold as seen pal as stated above takes all come backs on the car

Don't be too greedy but don't be needy either none of the things wrong on your car a very expensive fixes if the mechanic picks them up quickly

I would take 1500 to 1800 hundred
  • Options
    Also sold my Octavia last year on eBay listed with lots faults and 175000 miles had em trying to rip me arm of for it made about 400 more than I valued it at? So u never know
  • Options
    Tried this out a few years ago just to see what they would offer.....I had a 2005 M3 Convertible which was stolen in 2009....I thought I was going to get a kicking from the insurance company so I tested the water with "We buy any car" They offered £12,000. You couldnt buy one for under £19,000 at the time...anyway, the insurance surprised me and actually paid out £19,000 with no quibbles.
  • Options
    BDL (And others if interested, obviously) here's the text of the private sale contract. Obviously, both parties get a copy.
    The last sentence, from the seller's point of view, is the important one. Interestingly, this same sentence has disappeared from the current version of this form on the AA web site.
    I suspect this indicates that changes to consumer legislation has diminished the effectiveness of a blanket "buyer beware" clause and that such a clause no longer gives full protection to the seller in law. So, whatever a contract may say, private sellers can still be liable for, eg, misrepresentation of a vehicle's condition, mileage, etc.
    That said, if a buyer is given an honest description of the vehicle with any known faults listed in the "Notes/Comments" section, it should at least still focus the buyer's mind on what is actually being purchased and militate against any future disputes.
    Both the AA web site and the honest john site provide good background advice on the things to be careful about when buying/selling a car privately and, in particular, how best to arrange transfer of the purchase monies.
    Use the notes/comments section too for details like, confirmation that there has been no serious accident damage, how many sets of keys are supplied, service history, MOT expiry, road tax expiry, etc.

Print this contract and use it when you sell a car.
    For private car sellers
    Vehicle details
    Make: ............................
    Model:..............................
    Registration No..........................
    Mileage:............................
    Registration Document completed by buyer/seller Yes/No
    Registration Document (V5) exchanged Yes/No

Additional Notes/Comments:.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The undersigned purchaser acknowledges receipt of the above vehicle in exchange for the cash sum of £ ............... being the price agreed by the purchaser with the vendor for the above-named vehicle, receipt of which the vendor hereby acknowledges.
    It is understood the vehicle is sold as seen, tried and approved by the purchaser without any representations, warranties or conditions express or implied whatsoever.

Purchaser .......................................

Vendor ..........................................

Date .............................................
  • Options
    Private sales will always get you a better price than WBAC (or similar). Sold my Corsa a few years back through Autotrader. It was on the website for less than 12 hours in which time I was inundated with phonecalls, including one guy who was going to drive down from Birmingham to buy it! Sold it at full asking price the same day and probably could have got a few quid more if I'd held out a bit. And that was for a 12 year old car in no more than average condition!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Needless to say we didn't get rid of it, but I now need to get shot of my car in the next two weeks.

Anyone have any contacts, apart from the we buy lot, who buy cars for cash? Car is worth £2500 will accept £1500 ono. Had rear brakes done, new battery fitted, tyres done. I got the electric window working by greasing the motor.

Thanks.
  • Options
    We rip you off all the time.com .. do not even think about using one of these sites .. the 'wongas' of the used car trade .. unless .. you're desperate for the cash and want it NOW
  • Options

We rip you off all the time.com .. do not even think about using one of these sites .. the 'wongas' of the used car trade .. unless .. you're desperate for the cash and want it NOW

I ternd to agree however my stepsister got exactly what she wanted for her BMX X5. Initially they weren't interested then suddenly a couple of weeks later they contacted her and said they would give her the full £12k she wanted.

I guess the local car dealers had a waiting buyer

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I ternd to agree however my stepsister got exactly what she wanted for her BMX X5. Initially they weren't interested then suddenly a couple of weeks later they contacted her and said they would give her the full £12k she wanted.

I guess the local car dealers had a waiting buyer

probably .. that's the advantage of 'computerised' retailing .. they can have a large database of available vehicles compared to buyers and duck and dive accordingly.
  • Options
    Sold our 58 plate Punto to We Buy Any Car today. Got the exact price quoted in the trade guides. Bought a new motor yesterday and wanted shot of the Punto quickly. Got more than we were offered as a part ex. If you are willing to take the low price WBAC should be fine.
  • Options
    Offered me £50 for my rover but car had to be inspected for £49.99

In other words, we don't want your bloody car
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sold my range rover sport to them in January for the price they quoted which was £2500 more than similar to it on auto trader and £4500 more than any dealer offered. Money was in my account the next day no problems what so ever
  • Options
    Got double what they offered holding out for private sale think its swings and rdbouts with them
  • Options
    They've offered me £975, know its worth more as similar car with higher mileage on Autotrader is going for £2695, albeit that is a trade seller.

Will try and get it on Ebay at the weekend.
  • Options
    Got offered £205 for my car on WBAC, sold it in 4 days on Autotrader for £650 (asking price).