Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Superbowl

In a couple of weeks the climax of the US football season is with us. The San Francisco 49ers take on the Baltimore Ravens. East coast versus west but more pertinently, Harbaugh versus Harbaugh. The two sides in this multi million dollar, multi giant extravaganza are coached by brothers. It's quite remarkable that one family should produce two outstanding sportsmen who have made it to the very top, especially in the white hot competitive US sports environment.
I can't think of any similar situation in English sport. We have the Nevilles and have had the Charltons, I'm sure that there are various instances of friendly fraternal conflict, but two brothers coaching in the equivalent of the FA or Euro cup final ?, that must be unique.

Comments

• This has been a great year for San Francisco sports. First the baseball World Series and now the Super Bowl. The 49ers QB is something special. He's young and has only started 8 or 9 games and he's already in the Super Bowl. Last week he rushed for 180 odd yards as a QB, the most ever for a QB in the history of the NFL. And yesterday he kept his cool and pulled it back from a 17 point deficit, the most in history in an NFC championship game.

And, yes, Jim Harbaugh is some coach for the 49ers. It should be some game as John Harbaugh is no slouch either.
  • I honestly can't see him running like that again. He'll be closely watched, and taken down if he gets too confident! Look at RGIII, he kept running, and got noticed, then injured while running. That injury cost the Redskins dearly, and i believe that next season he will not run anywhere near as much as he did this season.
  • More importantly who are we all rooting for? It's a tough one for me because I don't really mind either but probably favour the niners!
  • And also the true story of Ravens Offensive Tackle Michael Oher, from the film The Blindside - From homelessness to NFL first round draft pick to The Superbowl.....
    And for the first time I don't have to wait up until the early morning hours to watch it over here in Tampa
  • Well I am a NY Giants fan, have been for about 7/8 years. But Mr EastStand is a big Ravens fan. So my loyalties are firmly set for this one. #winitforray
  • Royally peed ff at the Pats last night, the pressure was on and we choked big time, now I don't care who wins
  • Hate the Patriots. The Man U of NFL. Brady = Rooney.
  • Brady is nothing like Rooney mate, down to earth, humble and blessed with a great talent for a start, not to mention one of the all time greats, 2nd in total passing yards of all time now isn't he?
  • Let's go RAVENS!!!
  • 49ers for me, wonderful city and my old man lives in California.

they also knocked out my Packers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ravens all the way for me, they should be handed the SB as a reward for knocking out the Pats!
  • For the first time in years I don't mind who wins,may have to put some money on it just so I can support someone!
  • I've been a 49ers fan for ages so I'm chuffed to see them back at the top after them being completely pants in recent years. I'm also getting a bit tired of Ray Lewis crying all over the place so I hope the Ravens get smashed!

• I can't think of any similar situation in English sport.

No, but in 1991 the Scottish Cup Final was contested by Motherwell and Dundee United who were managed by brothers Tommy and Jim McLean.
  • I don't mind the Ravens but Ray Lewis dancing every minute is getting annoying. 49ers are a better team but it just seems set up for a Ravens win really.

As a Redskins fan I should lean towards the 9ers but there isnt anything particularly likeable about them (other than the best uniform in the league).
  • I support Green Bay. :-)
  • 30 years a skin. HTTR
  • Atlanta is a city in mourning still.........never had a better chance of glory. Sad times.
  • HTTR here too!

I mist be one of the few who it would seem likes Ray Lewis and would love to see him go out in style.
  • Ravens for me.

Too many memories of 49'ers being dominant in the 80's and as a Raiders fan usually go with the AFC (apart from Pats and Steelers)
  • Sponsored links:

• Same here! As a Raiders fan I can't support the 49ers, however I do like the coach and wish we had hired him.

Also like the QB we have a similar player in Prior who is bigger and quicker but not as good at throwing. Would love to see him develop in a similar system
  • Anyone know game start time? I fell asleep at the end of the third quarter last year, would like to last to the end this time.
  • 2330hrs start time.
  • cafckev said:

I honestly can't see him running like that again. He'll be closely watched, and taken down if he gets too confident! Look at RGIII, he kept running, and got noticed, then injured while running. That injury cost the Redskins dearly, and i believe that next season he will not run anywhere near as much as he did this season.

The key is that he can always pull that out of the hat if he needs it and teams will always be aware of that and cover that option. A bit like man marking in football. This ties up a defensive player and the 9ers have the weapons to expose that especially that Kapernick has a great arm as well. A multiple sport player as he was also drafted by the Chicago Cubs as a 90mph pitcher but he choose the NFL instead. Some athlete.
  • I had a small wager on the 49ers some weeks ago but really don't mind who wins. I am just looking forward to a contest between 2 super young 1/4backs. (Strange that the inevitable stars of the show are never on the field at the same time). I 'support' the Vikings. I remember their nickname from long ago when they were one of THE teams .. The Purple People Eaters
  • Predictions ?
    28-20.
  • Also, what time does the game start ?
  • 27-27 OT, Ravens get 3 in overtime
  • 27-17 ravens
  • Like others don't mind who wins. As a chiefs fan i have no right to talk or comment on the nfl