Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Record Shop thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Shrew said:
    The few remaining independant record shops will really struggle after this lockdown, Il try n support my local store ‘Left for Dead’ in Shrewsbury.
    Reckless Records in Berwick Street, family run record shop 
    https://reckless.co.uk/
    I spent a fortune in there over the years. Got most of my Roy Ayers collection in there which wasn’t cheap. 
  • Options
    Are there record shops in Berwick Street & Greek street....?  I never noticed...😉
  • Options
    Used to go to Onestop records in Dean Street, my local one was Treble Clef in Sydenham High Street.
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    The few remaining independant record shops will really struggle after this lockdown, Il try n support my local store ‘Left for Dead’ in Shrewsbury.
    I spent a fortune in there over the years. Got most of my Roy Ayers collection in there which wasn’t cheap. 
    Seen Roy Ayers a few times, my favourite being when Gilles Peterson sneaked him on at the Sunday afternoon jazz session at Dingwalls. While introducing him, Peterson told the audience to keep this strictly secret as Ayers shouldn’t really be playing there because he had a residency at Ronnie Scott’s.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Shrew said:
    Seen Roy Ayers a few times, my favourite being when Gilles Peterson sneaked him on at the Sunday afternoon jazz session at Dingwalls. While introducing him, Peterson told the audience to keep this strictly secret as Ayers shouldn’t really be playing there because he had a residency at Ronnie Scott’s.
    He’s always good value live, seen him loads of times over the years too. 

Spoken to him a few times as well, he’s a nice guy.

We took my dad to see him at Ronnie Scott’s for his 60th about 20 years ago. We sat on a table at the front, had a meal and fair few drinks. About halfway through the set, I looked over at my wife (who admittedly isn’t a fan), she had her head back mouth open and was asleep. Her excuse was that it was hot in there.
  • Options
    Are there record shops in Berwick Street & Greek street....?  I never noticed...😉
    Only Reckless left, Berwick street is a big building site now ( The Rupert St end anyway)
  • Options
    2 good record shops in Greenwich, one in the high st and one just round the corner in creek Rd.
  • Options
    Furlongs in Thomas Street, Woolwich. In the early 70's I regularly blew my Saturday boy wages from Wallis' supermarket on Caravan, Soft Machine etc albums. I remember a sweaty guy with dandruff... hope I've not offended anyone's dad!
  • Options
    About to sell off/dump some to clear space, not looking for top prices by any means but are these dealers decent value?
  • Options
    I used to frequent Cheapo Cheapo in Soho. It was the record shop equivalent of that Chinese restaurant up the road where you'd go in to get insulted. I once asked the guy who owned it if the soul and jazz section was open downstairs (sometimes it wasn't). His answer was, 'I don't f*cking know!'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About to sell off/dump some to clear space, not looking for top prices by any means but are these dealers decent value?

You'd be better off selling on ebay if you have the time, collectible 1960's and 70's stuff can acheive eyewatering prices.

But remember, condition is everything.
  • Options
    Not at all, they'll pay you next to nothing, better off ebaying them or setting up a discogs page and selling them there
  • Options
    Thanks M62 ,mostly late 60's early 70's but nothing that rare, main thing is freeing up space, most of it gives me a headache now,  currently playing some early Quo so most is a quick play thanks for the memories and farewell. 
  • Options
    I sold pretty much all mine off a few years ago. I kept some of them (signed ones, Roy Ayers etc) but regretted it ever since.
  • Options
    Keeping a few favourites DM.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    hawksmoor said:
    I used to frequent Cheapo Cheapo in Soho. It was the record shop equivalent of that Chinese restaurant up the road where you'd go in to get insulted. I once asked the guy who owned it if the soul and jazz section was open downstairs (sometimes it wasn't). His answer was, 'I don't f*cking know!'

I loved that shop,when I worked as a postman in Rathbone Place in the 90;s I used to spend a load of cash in that place along with my mate Steve.Bought a load of cd's from Gary and than Jack upstairs at Cheapo Cheapo.

The bloke that ran it was indeed a miserable bastard,you never ever asked him about anything in his shop as the you just got a mouthful of abuse.

Not sure what happened to all of his stock when he died as there was tons of it.

Mr CD in Berwick Street and Steve's Sounds in Newport Court were another two places that my wages went to.

All gone now due to sky high rents and the area being gentrified :(

• Options
    My dad used to run Furlongs in Thomas Street, Woolwich. Great times. 
  • Options
    There used to be a record shop at the top parade in Blackheath Village opposite the church.  I used it  a lot going back. Can’t remember the name.
  • Options
    There used to be a record shop at the top parade in Blackheath Village opposite the church.  I used it  a lot going back. Can’t remember the name.
    Music Shop in Blackheath Village
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    My dad used to run Furlongs in Thomas Street, Woolwich. Great times. 
    I thought Thomas Street was only a hundred yards long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to school at Eletham Green there used to be a really good record shop at the very top of the High Street past the fire station also Norman's the musical instrument shop used to sell records as well although at the time the bloke who ran it was a miserable git, wouldn't play any tracks and certainly wouldn't let us anywhere near the guitars. As I got older I always vowed never to buy anything in there and never have....silly really By the way I love these threads although I don't have my vinyl collection anymore (sold it all off to declutter) I still recall the tingle of buying an LP, getting home, putting it on the record playing and then reading the sleeve notes whilst it played. The download generation will never understand that thrill.

Although it's easier now, and we can stream anything, I sometimes ask if we would be better off overall with things as they were. We had less quantity but more quality in terms of depth of feeling. 
    And some people now don't even think about listening to a whole album from start to finish.
  • Options
    I went to school at Eletham Green there used to be a really good record shop at the very top of the High Street past the fire station also Norman's the musical instrument shop used to sell records as well although at the time the bloke who ran it was a miserable git, wouldn't play any tracks and certainly wouldn't let us anywhere near the guitars. As I got older I always vowed never to buy anything in there and never have....silly really By the way I love these threads although I don't have my vinyl collection anymore (sold it all off to declutter) I still recall the tingle of buying an LP, getting home, putting it on the record playing and then reading the sleeve notes whilst it played. The download generation will never understand that thrill.

Although it's easier now, and we can stream anything, I sometimes ask if we would be better off overall with things as they were. We had less quantity but more quality in terms of depth of feeling. 
    And some people now don't even think about listening to a whole album from start to finish.
    In my humble opinion it's all gone to shit! I used to buy albums on the basis of hearing one track or even zero tracks if I liked the artist. It was sometimes a bit of a gamble and you'd done your record money for the month so you'd better listen a few times and try to get into it! In this world of streaming hardly any money goes to the artists, which is fine for established acts but no good for up and coming acts. People have got out of the habit of paying for music, so where are the funds to pay for musicians to make new music?

I kept my vinyl collection and still add to it. There is a lot more available now than 5 years ago.