Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Skiing

124»

Comments

• Options
    Is it easy to change from skiing to snowboarding does anyone know? I've skiied quite a few times when I was a teenager but would like to give it a go at crossing over to the wanker side?
  • Options
    Is it easy to change from skiing to snowboarding does anyone know? I've skiied quite a few times when I was a teenager but would like to give it a go at crossing over to the wanker side?
    I skied but moved to snowboarding. Have a lesson on Hemel or Milton Keynes. It's difficult at first, but you'll find it easier to progress.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Best done when you're younger.  lot of effort involved in clipping and unclipping one boot, and scooting along the flat and uphiill bits with no poles to help you. But once you've mastered it you're off! When I was 35 I did a bit of monoskiing in France, now thats the bollocks! Nowadays this has been made redundant by snowboards and no one makes mono skis any more
  • Options
    just got back from our first ski holiday - Borovets in Bulgaria, I've never done it before and neither had the kids.

The wife has (but 20 years ago) 

can't believe it's taken me so long to go, amazing time - booking again for next year, brilliant for the kids
    That's funny... I just got back from there as well... Maybe it's an Eltham thing
    Probably see you next year in half term! Where did you stay?
    The Rila @jacob_CAFC
  • Options
    Borovets - I went there many years ago.  The last day skiing I ended being stretchered off the slope and a night in hospital. Luckily I was let out the next day to catch my flight home.  Gutted that I missed a tour of Sofia.  
  • Options
    just got back from our first ski holiday - Borovets in Bulgaria, I've never done it before and neither had the kids.

can't believe it's taken me so long to go, amazing time - booking again for next year, brilliant for the kids
    That's funny... I just got back from there as well... Maybe it's an Eltham thing
    Probably see you next year in half term! Where did you stay?
    The Rila @jacob_CAFC
    Probably saw you in there lol. 
  • Options
    We will book the same place next Feb HT - loved it.

My missus and kids spent half the time looking out for Peter Andre
  • Options

My gf saw him up the mountain a few times  :D
  • Options

Went there on a lads trip just before the initial covid lockdown. Had probably one of the best/funniest lads hols ever,massive dump of snow on our 1st night and it didnt stop the whole time we were there which made the skiing a bit difficult at first. The 'nightlife' is interesting😉
  • Options
    I saw online that airlines often take Boots & Skis through as one bag - just wanted to check what peoples' experience of that is? A bit worried about having my boots attached via the straps as they get flung in the cargo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Got the impression the snowboarding and "stunt" skiing has kind of taken over at the Winter Olympics. Is that the case overall?
    20 years ago I would have said that snowboarding would get to parity with skiing in terms of numbers. It was what the kids wanted to do, the outfits were cooler and the boots more comfortable. However, snowboarding is now a significant minority of the people you will see on slopes. I'd put it at 5 - 10% in Europe and maybe 15% in North America. Head to terrain parks and the numbers grow significantly, but still the minority. Other styles have also fallen by the wayside (e.g mono skis, bike skis and snowblades (really short skis)). And rightly so, they all got in the way of proper skiers  ;)
  • Options
    Snow boards unquestionably churn up the pistes and are way more disruptive to conditions for skiers…..of course, they will argue otherwise but everyone knows it to be the case.
  • Options
    Anybody Skiing in Europe this year going end of feb looking for a resort not to far from Geneva (2 Hours max) with a good Apres any suggestions?
    Morzine.
  • Options

My gf saw him up the mountain a few times  :D
    yeah we saw him on the Musala Pathway
  • Options
    I saw online that airlines often take Boots & Skis through as one bag - just wanted to check what peoples' experience of that is? A bit worried about having my boots attached via the straps as they get flung in the cargo
    You mean attached to the outside of your ski bag? Don't do it, use your boot bag as hand luggage, or use a holdall big enough to take your boots as well. Stuff pants and socks inside your boots!

• Options
    Anybody Skiing in Europe this year going end of feb looking for a resort not to far from Geneva (2 Hours max) with a good Apres any suggestions?
    Morzine.
    Seconded
  • Options
    We leave Saturday group of 11 heading for Val Thorens for the week. 

Weathers looking like bluebird days so can't wait.

Downside is Covid and lack of doing exercise means the Ski clothes have need renewing 
  • Options
    Get yourself something like this - https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/fall-line-ski-roller-bag-190cm-snowleader-DAKI01407.html

You can put the boots in there with the skis and pad the bag out with your ski clothing (and helmet).
  • Options
    I can't see the point in taking skis any more. Mine went in the skip 20 years ago. Crystal are charging £50 ski carriage,plus if you get them serviced each time that's another £25+. Two weeks ago I booked a pair direct with Snowrental in La Plagne for £85 inc insurance and got a brand new pair for a week, with no hassle of lugging skis round an airport and on transfer buses.