Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Bowie: Where Are We Now?

2»

Comments

• Lets Dance was ok in it's day because it was its time and 1983 was a fantastic year for me. I danced to the 12" of the title track all through that summer from Goochies to South of France to Hayling Island. In retrospect the album was just full of pop and rehashes of old collaborations like China Girl and Cat People.
    Scary Monsters was his last great album.
  • Bowie's albums since 1997 have been an improvement on those in the previous seventeen or so years but they are inconsistent. However, with modern technology you can put together your own albums. So I have made a playlist on my MP3 player of what I think are the best tracks from Earthling, Hours, Reality and Heathen and now have an excellent alternative Bowie album and I never have to listen again to stuff like his embarrassing version of Pablo Picasso.
  • Hunky Dory best album ever

I have always really liked Hunky Dory I think there are some great songs on that album. Haven't always been a huge fan but this has changed in recent years I think his music stands the test of time.
  • watching cracked actor last night made me realise that despite Hunk Dory and Heroes being two of my favourite albums, he didn't half put out some poop.
  • "David Bowie and the Story of Ziggy Stardust" was on BBC Four last week and was a good watch if you're a Bowie fan (which I am).

tells how Mick Ronson was a big part of Bowies' early success, very talented man.
  • Riviera said:

BBC are in the process of a major new Bowie documentary called Five Years which will be shown in May.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bowie-five-years/
    Make a change from seeing Cracked Actor yet again.

The new album is growing on me.

Don't forget this new documentary.
  • watching cracked actor last night made me realise that despite Hunk Dory and Heroes being two of my favourite albums, he didn't half put out some poop.

He did, but not during the period covered by that doc.
  • Liked a lot of the music that Bowie did, not everything, but his influence on so many artists and fan's is probably right up there. Certainly a brave artist, and for that has to be applauded. Ziggy and Young American's were great, and loved 1984.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9WnSOISv0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQ-S6njQQw
    Still think this is one of the best performances at the bbc, in studio 4 ( OGWT)
  • Was that at the BBC Ken?
  • Went to the Bowie exhibition at the V&A on Wednesday. I would highly recommend it.
  • Sponsored links:

• HUGE Bowie fan & am going to the Bowie exhibition on 18th May. I've got a treasured handwritten letter from his then wife Angie dated 1st June 1973 following a letter I sent to them when they lived in Pinner Road, Beckenham.
  • Sam lloyd said:

HUGE Bowie fan & am going to the Bowie exhibition on 18th May. I've got a treasured handwritten letter from his then wife Angie dated 1st June 1973 following a letter I sent to them when they lived in Pinner Road, Beckenham.

Probably worth a few bob that nowadays.
  • Do you really think so Rob ? This is what the letter says:-

Hello Honey,

David asked me to write & thank you for your lovely letter & to apologise that he cannot reply personally but as I'm sure you know, he is away touring until June 30th & unable to answer any mail or really do anything but travel & perform !

So glad you enjoyed Earls Court, so did I. I hope you will be able to attend some other shows in the tour, a better view & a better chance to admire legs & body.

Fondest love to you,

Angie Bowie
  • Could be. Do you have the envelope with the postmark on it? That would help. Not megabucks mind you but a very collectible piece I would say.
  • Thanks Rob but no, no envelope unfortunately, just the letter & his autograph on a brown bit of wrapping paper which was sent to me at a later date. Guess both will have to remain in the bottom of my jewellery box.
  • Pelham123 said:

Went to the Bowie exhibition at the V&A on Wednesday. I would highly recommend it.

I heard this has sold out. Is that true? eBay I suppose.
  • edited April 2013
    The wife is a member. She pays about 60 quid for the year, well worth it as you can take a guest. No queuing up or booking in advance just bowl up and in you go. Also went to the Royal Palaces treasures the same day so add that to all the other exhibitions she goes to and your squids in. Also a nice members room where you can get a brew and a lovely bit of lemon drizzle cake.
  • Just watched the Five Years program from the weekend ...superb and some great memories
  • stonemuse said:

Just watched the Five Years program from the weekend ...superb and
    some great memories

Yep superb.

The amazingly talented iconic Bowie. How much of what/who came after were influenced by him.

• stonemuse said:

Just watched the Five Years program from the weekend ...superb and some great memories

Ditto. A lot of new stuff I hadn't seen before.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2015
    Genius of David Bowie on BBC4 now - what an incredible song-writer/artist he was/is.
  • edited July 2015
    How popular could he have been?, if only he could have adopted some sort of image, or perhaps a oddity like being hit so hard as a lad that one of his ears changed colour, or maybe adopting sexual ambivalence for a period, or best of all having a bass player with absolutely enormous sideburns!.
  • Saw both last night - Actually I also thought the last album (The Next Day) was a real return to form - As did the critics and the public judging by its reviews and number one chart placing. A real shame he didn't tour with it.

The man is a supremely talented God imo ( and I'm an atheist!)
  • My favourite all time Bowie song is The Laughing Gnome.
  • My favourite all time Bowie song is The Laughing Gnome.

Good boy.
    Ask your Dad to get you "Hunky Dory" for your 13th birthday - you'll never look back :-)

(Kidding, before you go into one)