Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dale Stephen Saga!!

Aston Villa fans seem to be assuming a deal is almost done for Dale Stephens. With so much gossip going on what do think is the truth in the whole saga?!

Comments

• I can't see this one happening for a minute , which probably means yes he's off.
  • I would say it will get done.
  • If the offer is even close to their £2m bid of the summer, I'd snap their hand off.....................
  • edited January 2013
    Villa need to offer more up front and less of the bolt ons that they offered before. Anything about winning cups and playing in Europe is just waffle and needs to be ignored. Wouldn't touch anything to do with games played either. He won't play that many. Think it will happen and we will never know the fee.
  • The Villa fan tweeting it seems to be a bit of a wannabe journo / in the know type.

Wouldn't dismiss it, but equally wouldn't take it at the truth at this point.

On a seperate point, unread the title as Dale Stephen Segal !!
  • I was wondering about this when Sir Chris said that he expected to bring a couople in but a couple would have to be sold first. Stephens immediately sprung to mind. If th ebid is decent, I suspect Sir Chris has a replacement lined up already. Could be interesting.
  • It'll be interesting to see if he's rested from the Cup team this weekend. Regarding the deal it depends on how it's being funded, if we get a decent chunk upfront then I'd take it, a smaller sum (say £500K upfront and the rest inn add-ons) then I'd say no thanks.
  • Would sell for 2m never been overly impressed by him. The money will hopefully be spent strengthening the squad
  • Snap their hands off for 2 million. Considering what Powell did in league 1 with the Jenkinson money, lets do it.
  • Millwall season ticket holder I work with reckons they want James Henry.

I can't see them taking both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Villa need to offer more up front and less of the bolt ons that they offered before. Anything about winning cups and playing in Europe is just waffle and needs to be ignored. Wouldn't touch anything to do with games played either. He won't play that many. Think it will happen and we will never know the fee.

Yeah , pay up or shut up Villa!

• I don't think we're desperate for the cash, or he would have gone in the summer. If the price is right I think he'll go, but only if the price is right.
  • Probably the easiest rumor to start considering it was ongoing last Summer. Won't believe any of it until Charlton or Villa come out and say something.
  • If CP reckons he can improve midfield without him then £2-3m goes a long way to making the club more stable... using that money to buy players in - no thanks! Plenty of free agents available in the summer and is our academy able to produce centre mids sometime soon?
    Two things you have to say about rejecting Villas offer last time - it must have pushed the price up and Dale has done a decent job in most games.
  • If it means we get £1m for SCP to spend, then i would snap Villas hands off in a heart beat. But if it meant that the total included money the club would use as running costs, which left SCP was less, then i would be a bit wary of the deal.
  • in their position, just don't see why Villa would want Stephens.
  • Macronate said:

in their position, just don't see why Villa would want Stephens.

A good squad player, adds some depth but I doubt he'd be a regular starter which is why I'd be wary of a deal with a low upfront price and stage payments based on games played.
  • This one will drag on until the ned of the month. Lets face it Aston Villa are not going to pay anything like £2M for Dale Stephens up front most of the money will be tied to appearences etc. In that event we should tell them to do one, if they do front up with cash I'll personally drive him to Villa Park myself.
  • You would think for a club like Villa, their scouting network would come up with someone better than Dale. I think he's a pretty decent player at this level but he has been far from consistent this season and no where near ready for the step up, especially straight into a relegation fight.
  • Macronate said:

in their position, just don't see why Villa would want Stephens.

A good squad player, adds some depth but I doubt he'd be a regular starter which is why I'd be wary of a deal with a low upfront price and stage payments based on games played.
    ok but Villa's absolute priority is to stay up and to stand a chance they need to stop shipping goals now. spoke to a Villa supporter this week and he said they need Vlaar back and another experienced centre back in...he mentioned Lescott. when he asked (he'd seen the rumours) about both Stephens & Pritchard he seemed to think the latter would be a better bet for them in m/field.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be a little worried for dale if this goes through. Could see him becoming a culprit should they go down.
    Ok he's a professional and no doubt he knows to expect stick from fans but the villa fans are a right fickle lot! If you think you've heard booing at the valley then wait until that lot turn on you! Not good for a young lad making his way in the sport.
  • To any scouts out there. Stephens is our best player by far, although kerkar could give him a run for his money. Solly and Hamer are crap.

You're welcome. Send my commission cheque. In the mail
  • Huskaris said:

To any scouts out there. Stephens is our best player by far, although kerkar could give him a run for his money. Solly and Hamer are crap.

You're welcome. Send my commission cheque. In the mail

And taunt them for missing out on Clarke.....

• Becks is back in town folks

Dale to villa

Beckham to Charlton

FACT

Or not so FACT
  • Most commentators say Villa need experience and leadership on the pitch. Not sure Dale helps on either front...
  • Might depend on extent of Westwood's injury, seeing as they took him instead of Stephens last time. Lambert has to bring more in, that's for sure.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/01/02/aston-villa-face-wait-on-ashley-westwood-injury/
  • edited January 2013

Becks is back in town folks

Dale to villa

Beckham to Charlton

FACT

Or not so FACT

heard he was going qpr could be wrong, do know he brought a property in london so it could be us

• I do sort of admire Villa for trying to give youngsters a chance but they could have too many although they bounced back with a decent point from 3 poor defeats.
  • Two things you have to say about rejecting Villas offer last time - it must have pushed the price up and Dale has done a decent job in most games.

I certainly don't have to say either of those things! If the offer they made in the summer was anywhere near the figures that were touted around (£2m) then we should have taken it then. We'll get nowhere near that figure now as he's been in and out of the side and apart from all too rare moments of class has been pretty crap all season.

• our midfield has been over-run in the majority of games this year so how Dale is good enough for prem is beyond me. I dont particularly rate any of our midfield although Pritch has been improving and puts in a hell of a shift.