Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 2012 Review: April / May (CHAMPIONS)

Compiled by @colthe3rd

After a slightly disappointing March, the Addicks still had a 6 point lead over Sheffield Utd and an 8 point lead over Wednesday, entering April. But with only 6 games left surely even our own beloved club could not throw this one away?

The first match in April was away to Oldham Athletic. After 30 minutes most fans began to fear the worst. Danny Hollands received a red card for a late challenge. But 10 minutes later the numbers were evened up by a second booking for Jean Yves Mvoto. On 48 minutes big Yann popped up with a goal, but there was still more drama later in the match as Scott Wagstaff was also sent off albeit very harshly. It finished 1-0 and at the time many felt this was the win when they finally believed we would do it.

After such a hard fought victory there was little rest for the squad with a match two days later at the Valley against Walsall on Easter Monday, who were currently on a five match unbeaten run. The Addicks rode their luck at times but the on-loan Danny N’Guessan scored his third goal in five games to give Charlton another 1-0 win.

The Sheffield clubs continued to win but what this result meant was that if Charlton were to win away at Carlisle and Wednesday failed to win away at Colchester then promotion would be secured. Could it happen again at Carlisle?

Shortly after kick off attention turned to Colchester, a goal for United on 3 minutes meant that it was on. Carlisle had started the brighter of the two teams but at the break the sides went in deadlocked. Back in Essex, Wednesday had equalised through former Addick Miguel Llera’s 52nd minute goal. Shortly after Carlisle had struck the woodwork, it was looking doubtful today would be the day. However, on 75 minutes that all changed. Jackson’s corner to the far post was nodded back by Dale Stephens, and who else but Bradley Wright-Phillips was there to toe poke the ball in. Cue wild celebrations in the Brunton Park away end. It was a nervy last 15 minutes, but after the final whistle went news filtered through that Wednesday had only drawn. Charlton were promoted, at Carlisle, again! An emotional Chris Powell after the game said “it was meant to be”. A nice birthday present for the boss’s mother.


Chris Powell said after the game 'It's been a long time coming for this club. We've tasted good times in the Premier League, it went wrong for whatever reasons and it's been tough to take for the supporters languishing in League One but we were there for a reason and we had to get out of it and we've done that.
'You have to have belief in yourself, the decisions you make and you have to have belief in the players. Once you've done your preparation it's up to them and they've been outstanding for me this year. We've stressed it's only teams get promoted, not individuals. We had to change the mind set of everyone and the board supported me. It's a small step but a big step towards trying to get back where we were.'

So with promotion back to the Championship firmly secured, next on the to-do list was to win the league. Charlton welcomed the relegation threatened Wycombe Wanderers to the Valley on April 21st. A magnificent 30 yard free-kick from big Yann put the Addicks one up. The Chairboys equalised through top scorer Stuart Beavon on the stroke of half time, the first goal conceded in nearly a month since the Huddersfield match. But big Yann was to become provider setting up Dale Stephens for the winner. This win along with Sheffield Utd's loss to the Dons meant Charlton were crowned League 1 Champions with two games to spare.


With promotion and the title sewn up, next on the list was the was the 100 point mark. Currently sitting on 97 points, Charlton travelled to Preston on double denim day (April 28th to everyone else). Chris Powell saw this as an opportunity to give some of the back-up players a chance. The changes seemed to be working as goals from Dan(n)y's Haynes and N'Guessan put the Addicks ahead with just 35 minutes gone. Nicky Hunt scored a free-kick on 57 minutes to bring North End back into it. A few weeks earlier Powell said "it was meant to be", and perhaps this match was testament to that as Graham Alexander scored an injury time equaliser in his final match of a 22 year career. The first time Charlton had conceded more than a goal in a match since the 10th of March.

May 2012

As preparations were being made for Queen Liz's diamond jubillee, Charlton returned to the Valley for the final time this season for an end of season party that included opera singers, the Red Devils, a celebrity pitch side announcer (and Dave Berry) and a band of travelling smurfs.


Amongst all this there was a game to be played against Hartlepool with the Addicks still looking to break the 100 point mark and only a win could do it. Perhaps this was the reason the Monkey Hangers took the lead through Peter Hartley. As the match went on the 100 point target looked further away than at any other point in the season, but finally on 71 minutes a specatcular Danny Hollands volley made it 1-1. Danny Haynes then scored to put Charlton ahead on 78 minutes while just three minutes later big Yann popped up with an unbelievably flukey/spectacular (delete as appropriate) goal. There was yet more drama as Hartlepool scored another to make it a nervy last four minutes. The Addicks held on for the win.


And that brought an end to one of the most amazing and enjoyable seasons in recent years, one that saw record after record tumbling, one that saw new heroes made and one that brought about a league title.

But most importantly it brought about promotion.




  • Nice one colt
    and you didn't stoop to the lowness of putting a warning that there was a picture of a hot woman in the thread title to increase the views
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out Forever!