Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Derby - Preview, predictions, line ups etc

Introduction

With the nation getting fatter by the hour, football action this time of year comes around as quick as the next dive into the Quality Street tin.

If it is hard enough graft for us fans to drag our expanding arses off the sofa and get to the game, spare a thought for the poor players who get granted just enough time to down a Jagerbomb, roast a groupie and put their shinnies back in before the ref is blowing his whistle.

But while the sound of the dressing room will be a cacophony of unwrapping plastic of their new Dr Dre headphones, on the concourses behind the stand there will be a backdrop of nervous mutterings. Having taken a while to find their feet again in the Championship, Charlton seemed to have cracked what is required during November with a run of four wins and a draw. It provided a platform to step on, but it has not materialised.

No wins in five and three defeats in a row was not what was realistically expected through December, and the lacklustre performance of the most recent defeat to lowly Ipswich has certainly rung a few alarm bells.
Charlton need a win again, and hopefully the quick turnaround in games will provide that.

The Oppo

Sitting six places above the Addicks in twelfth, The Rams are equally failing to pull up any trees and appear to lack consistency. The arrive at The Valley off the back of two losses (Hull H, Burnley A), and made hard work in the reverse fixture earlier in the season when coasting at 3-0 as goals from Danny Green and Yann Kermogant made it a tighter finish than what should have been.

Two-goal hitman Jamie Ward was the thorn in the Addicks side that night, so supporters will not be shocked to learn that after three months out with a torn hamstring, he will be back and available for the trip tomorrow. The bench looks his likely starting position however. Midfielder Craig Bryson and defender Mark O’Brien are also both seen as doubtful. Derby have already lost in two trips to South London this season, and lets hope they complete the hat-trick.

Line Up

Gawd knows.

Its traditional this time of the year to ‘make use of the squad’ but when things are not going well it frustratingly appears to many as ‘not picking your best team’.

With Haynes, Fuller and Hulse all starting on Wednesday, it seems likely Kermorgant will start and if BWP can find his way out of the wilderness in time for kick-off, SCP might go all retro and pair them up again. Elsewhere, Wilson is likely to reappear after his suspension, and Pritchard must be pushing for a starting berth after impressing again from the bench on Wednesday. One of the centre halves will no doubt be rested for Dervite. My team (which it won’t be), would be:

Hamer

Solly
Cort / Dervite
Morrison / Dervite
Seabiscuit

Wilson
Pritchard
Jackson
Haynes / Kerkar

Hulse
Haynes / BWP

Prediction

Stop panicking and man up. 3-0 to the Addicks

What was we all worrying about ?

Comments

• Tricky game against inconsistent perennial underachievers who can be brilliant one day and woeful the next. Hughes the 17 year old midfielder is their main threat. The boy is gonna be a mega/super/great white star.
    We need to attack, attack and attack with this team:
    Hamer - Solly Morrison Dervite Evina (if fit) - Haynes Wilson Pritchard Kerkar - Fuller Hulse.

Wilson in central midfield, two 'wingers', two strikers and let's go for it.

CAFC 2 v Derby County 1
  • bore draw 1-1
  • I too think BWP deserves a start.
  • stonemuse said:

bore draw 1-1

yep
  • First home league game I'm missing in 5 years so it's bound to be a thriller and we'll probably get our first Saturday 3pm home win of the season as well
  • 2 1 win for the Mighty Addicks for my first trip to the Valley in a season and a half and to extend my unbeaten run of games i have attended to 13, COYR!

• Hope Seabuiscuit is already on the motorway back to Southampton! Kerkar @ LB if ceddy is not available

Stephens instead of Jackson
  • Oh yeah defo 2-0 Charlton, COYR
  • Refuse to give a prediction, as per usual but Pritch & Wilson must start for me, and have to agree that All At Seabourne should be permanently rested with Evina coming back into the starting line up.

Probably the wrong thread, but we have to be the 12th man tomorrow as per the Cardiff game...This may be our last chance to influence what may be occuring in a certain Mr J's head.

SCP needs us more than ever before - please don't let him down !
  • gawd knows with this one...but the perennial optimist in me says addicks will win........the score...not a clue!!! The team...not a clue!!!
    Match thread will be back at 2 pm......lets hope we get the 3 points this time round......PLEASE!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Other than Wilson hard to guess which changes will be made.

I suspect the starting team will be closer to the 2nd half v Ipswich but with Wilson's return allowing Haynes to move up top.

Evina at left back seems an obvious change but who knows.

Hamer
    Solly Cort Morrison Evina
    Wilson Stephens Pritchard Jackson
    Hulse Haynes

The Prodigal Sons (BWP + Waggy) to return off the bench and combine for a late winner.

I suspect the starting team will be closer to the 2nd half v Ipswich but with Wilson's return allowing Haynes to move up top.

Hamer
    Hulse Haynes

The Prodigal Sons (BWP + Waggy) to return off the bench and combine for a late winner.

I'd like to see this team but I don't think we'll win. 2-0 to the Derbyshire Rams
  • 2-1 to Derby

Hamer
    Hulse Haynes

Agree with that team, but can't see better than us getting a draw this time. 1-1.
  • 4 nilthe Rams
  • 0-3 the Rams.
  • 2-0 to Derby
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    Charlton will carry out a precautionary pitch inspection at 9am on Saturday ahead of the clash with Derby.
  • 3 1 derby

Hamer
    Hulse Haynes

I'd be happy with this team too. Not sure about the last bit though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Big game. Crowd and players to respond. 2 - 0 to The Addicks
  • take a point , we're in a rut and need some inspiration from somewhere to lift us , SCP can do it but will it be this match

1-1

• Bring back waggy!!!!!
  • Hamer

Chard Bromhead. Bourne Hitch

Hook Ardendorfe. Jones. Williams

Scheiss. Jones

• Could try a 4-4-1-1

Hamer
    Solly
    Morro
    Cort
    Evina

Wilson
    Pritchard
    Jackson
    Haynes

Stephens

Fuller

Allows Stephens to be more creative without losing possession in a dangerous position like he did against Ipswich.
  • Match postponed. Whenever we have a precautionary inspectiom it never goes ahead. Forecast is dire tomorrow and reading the reports, the ground staff think we are in trouble if the inevitable rain comes
  • 5 - 0 up then abandoned at h.t.
  • Hamer

Solly Dervite Cort Fox

Wilson Stephens Pritchard Harriot

Kermorgant, Haynes

Won't happen of course, but I'd quite like to seei it. No loanees, all our own boys. Fox and Harriot already understand each other so play them together. Morro could do with a rest.
  • 2-2 Cafc to comeback from two down.