Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• This seat is in the back row of the club's official and newly-designated "singing" area within the Stadium of Light.

Football really is dying.
  • Dreadful. If clubs insist on going down this route, it will just give greater weight to the safe standing argument.
  • Uboat said:

Dreadful. If clubs insist on going down this route, it will just give greater weight to the safe standing argument.

How?

• Hmmmm...maybe I'm sceptical but this sounds like a publicity stunt as a warning - i highly doubt they've really suspended someone's season ticket for standing
  • What's the point of taping the seats up if people are standing anyway? Kind of defeats the object!
  • Maybe this will the start of a trend. Maybe, in due course, all clubs will have conditions of their safety certificate regarding banning any that continue to stand.

With the recent arguments about safe standing regarding 'give us standing as it's not safe to stand in seated areas' maybe the authorities will retaliate with 'sit or get banned'

It was always a risky approach to demand standing due to the dangers of standing in seated areas as many fans do now.
  • did they tape up the seats of the 3000 standing man city fans too?
  • modern football sucks sometimes
  • Just dont buy a ST i would assume that the stadium of light is rarely a sell out or have a long waiting list buy a match ticket and do what you want

If clubs start doing this all that will happen is a decline in ST
  • Clubs don't act in isolation. The people who have the whip hand are the local licensing authority, which will be the local council, who in turn are heavily influenced by the police. If the club is taking action it will be because it is under pressure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sums up modern football.

Shit.
  • Load of bollocks and another nail in the coffin

• We'll be closing the north-upper next week.......................
  • Whilst I'm not against standing, I do think that anything behind row MM in blocks H & J should be sold with restricted view warnings.
  • SE10 said:

Sums up modern football.

Shit.

Sad but true in all honesty.
  • Well it is the law.
  • That's why it will effect season ticket sales

If a club insist on doing stupidness like this then buy individual tickets for games not ST's then what have you to lose

It's not like arsenal or tottenham ,man utd etc where you have waiting lists of over ten years
  • MrOneLung said:

Well it is the law.

Genuine question.

Do we all break the law when we score a goal or when the teams come out of the tunnel. Should we still be seated then?
  • Sponsored links:

• That is the problem, the law is, most likely intentionally, vague. Everybody stands at some stage, even if it's just to let somebody past to go to the toilets. We have in this country a lot of vague laws currently, designed so that if the powers that be need an excuse to arrest somebody then they don't have to look very far. It something that started under Thatcher. In the last 30 years more new laws have been created than in the previous period from when this country became a parliamentary democracy up until 1980.

And often these laws overlap, they aren't technically necessary. We have a load of laws now that are basically for offences covered by old laws with "on a computer" or "on the internet" added and the fine/minimum sentences greatly increases, all at the prompting of lobbying groups and (often foreign) corporations.
  • Good for Sunderland - standing is not allowed, full stop.
  • I'm In upper north n get right hump when people in front of me stand!
    Oh Yeh forgot in front row!
  • iainment said:

Uboat said:

Dreadful. If clubs insist on going down this route, it will just give greater weight to the safe standing argument.

How?

Because people want to stand at football matches, so they do. If that gets clamped down on like this, the demand for safe standing will grow.
  • edited December 2012

MrOneLung said:

Well it is the law.

Do we all break the law when we score a goal or when the teams come out of the tunnel.
    Not if you're in the East or West. Polite seated clapping and rattle- waving is still perfectly legal as far as I'm aware.
  • This is purely a Elf n Safety/Insurance thing. If anyone got seriously hurt while it was proved that 'standing fans' were to blame, Sunderland FC would be in serious trouble. Blame the legislation and insurance companies , not the football club.
  • Serious one, are sky encouraging fans to stand by showing the citeh fans doing a poznan? It's on a advert showing how sky give armchair fans the passion of being I the ground instead of the pub or front room
  • From the same club that allowed two of their players to wear shirts WITHOUT poppies?

Bollocks to sunderland, they are far too busy for such a boring club.
  • se9addick said:

Hmmmm...maybe I'm sceptical but this sounds like a publicity stunt as a warning - i highly doubt they've really suspended someone's season ticket for standing

I think this is probably the case. I know the photo only shows one seat but surely they would have to be suspending rows and rows of people as it wouldn't just be a few single individuals standing up on their own.
  • Jarman said:

From the same club that allowed two of their players to wear shirts WITHOUT poppies?

Bollocks to sunderland, they are far too busy for such a boring club.

It is not up to the club to enforce there players to wear poppies on their shirts as that would be against what the players believe in. Certain things in life I would never associate myself with and would tell my boss bollocks if he ever tried to make me represent it.