Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charity adverts on TV

2»

Comments

• Options
    Charity begins at home, preferably MY home .. All donations thankfully received .. My address is ..........!!!!!
  • Options

Charity begins at home, preferably MY home .. All donations thankfully received .. My address is ..........!!!!!

Webbed-foot Cottage
    Inbredsby
    Lincs

;o)

• Options
    And some companies when you do give the money spend money stupidly.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/17/david-cameron-hunt-convicted-rspca

£327k to mug odd some toffs, if I want to help animals I think I'll donate to someone else.
  • Options
    I can't believe that someone would donate money to a donkey sanctuary ahead of a children's charity.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

And some companies when you do give the money spend money stupidly.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/17/david-cameron-hunt-convicted-rspca

£327k to mug odd some toffs, if I want to help animals I think I'll donate to someone else.

That's a hll of a lot of dough. But I'll bet that most of the peole who gave to the RSPCA wouldn't consider it a complete waste os dough - and it's their money after all, so it's up to them if they want to spend it upholding the law.

If you've never given to the RSPCA then I can't see why it would bother you. If you have, then you have a right to ask questions if you disagree.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

I can't believe that someone would donate money to a donkey sanctuary ahead of a children's charity.

Depends on the childrens charity though, doesn't it? There's hundreds of them out there.

I'm uncomfortable giving to any charities that seemingly help prop up "iffy" governments - i.e. by looking after their own people for them whilst they spend money on guns - or those that have a religious rather than humanitarium agenda.

Sally Army anyone?
  • Options
    £3 to save the polar bears now. FFS, how many three quids will it take to stop the icecaps melting into the sea? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Mrs Sillybilly gives a modest amount each month to 4 separate charities by direct debit (or maybe standing order). We literally get phoned every other day by these folk asking for more or to sell raffle tickets etc. it's reached the point where she has more or less told them to stop it or she will cancel the existing donations. I gave a donation to the British heart Foundation when my father died. I had a voluntary donation at the funeral instead of flowers and raised a few bob. For the next couple of years I was hounded for more. I more or less had to tell them to fkcu off despite the fact that its a great and crucial cause. They don't help themselves at times.
  • Options
    You all have to watch a charity ad on you tube. its called save dave hillarious...and im in it lol
  • Options
    fenn3098 said:

You all have to watch a charity ad on you tube. its called save dave hillarious...and im in it lol

http://www.savedave.info/ ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If anyone has real concern for the long-term plight of children in, say, Africa, and indeed all of us for that matter, here are two charities that seem to have the right idea in promoting contraception.
    Interact Worldwide - used to be called Population Concern - says it operates in the world's poorest countries (and Hackney!) and Population Matters - watching the population clock on the latter's website heading remorselessly towards 8bn is very scary indeed. Especially when the site tells you the total was only 2bn 85 years ago.
  • Options
    Several years ago while Captain of my golf club, I was looking for a cancer charity to benefit from funds raised during my year in office. I was keen to avoid those charities that paid for celebrities to appear at your fund-raising events and was amazed at the charities that were only interested if you could guarantee a certain income.
    I eventually chose to support Marie Curie cancer care for my year as Captain and was very pleased with the assistance they gave us, and they were equally pleased with the £15000 we raised on their behalf.
    As others have posted above, choose your charity carefully.
  • Options

I don't support charities that:
    1. advertise on TV
    2. employ chuggers
    3. cold call you to "give you updates" (i.e. ask for more money)
    4. support the Robin Hood Tax campaign
    5. are endorsed by Bill Nighy.
    Too many large charities pursue political campaigns and waste money (mainly because they get too much).
    Small charities are starved of money and typically deploy a much higher % of their funds on their causes.
    Support your favourite small charities.

Sums up my view pretty well.