Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tactics and General Style of Play.

From the handfull of games I have been to this season, listening to commentary and reading other fans comments who attend regularly it would appear that we are essentially a long ball outfit this season (as we were towards the back end of last season). I wonder who dictates this style of play?

When CP first joined the club he made it clear he wanted players who could play the game his way. Is his preferred approach the long ball game that the team appear to play the majority of the time or does he have a vision of playing fluid, effective passing football? If it is the latter then why does the team appear to start the first 10 - 15 mins of games playing this style of football, putting teams on the back foot only to revert to the long ball option up to Kermogant/Hulse which is so ineffective? Are the players simply carrying out CP and his coaches instructions, are they not confident in their own ability (with the long ball being the easy option) or just not good enough at this level? If they cannot implement the coaching staffs instructions on the pitch then this needs to be addressed by the gaffer.

I stated on a another thread that I think Kermogant is not good enough at Championship level but thinking about it further I think I may be doing him an injustice. The guy clearly has great ability (as we saw on numerous occassions last year) and an intelligent footballing head on his shoulders but I think his game is restricted by the long ball game we play so often. We also have Stephens who is comfortable on the ball and when he is on top of his game would clearly be an asset if we were looking to knock the ball around and build from the back. The style of football we play is not getting the best of our players it would seem.

Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this subject.

Comments

• Options
    The midfield has not been strengthened and, more importantly we haven't seen a settled 4 (or 5) play a few games in a row. Let's see what happens once we have both Stephens and Wilson available... will Frimpong stay? Will we try to secure someone pacier on the left? Frimpong and Stephens can both pass it on the deck ... what I'm saying is that if the midfield play the ball around this will give confidence to the back 5 to keep it down too
  • Options
    We are neither a long ball or passing side. Much like under Curbs and Parky (before we lost in the play-offs) we're cautious and mix it up. Fine with me as we can adapt as needed. There are games when you don't or can't be patiently passing the ball around at the back.

A big part of our play last season was Wiggins attacking play and pace down the left. Evina was the natural replacement but he got injured and we've had to play a RB and CB on that side.

With a new CM (or Frimpong staying and stepping up) LM and striker and a more settled side we should do well this season. Improve the midfield and they'll start more attacks and we'll play decent football.
  • Options
    Midfield was our strength last season. It is crippling us now. Too many bits and pieces players too many passengers.
  • Options

Midfield was our strength last season. It is crippling us now. Too many bits and pieces players too many passengers.

Think defence was the strength last season.

Charlton play a solid shape and hope to catch teams out when they commit forward.

They don't create much space through midfield movement both on and off the ball. I believe this is a deliberately cautious tactic by CP. Avoid relegation and it is a valid tactic.
  • Options
    There are several factors:

We are up against far superior teams in terms of ability and organisation this season, who are not allowing us the time and space to knock the ball about at will. If defenders and midfielders continually see a lack of options, then they will play a longer ball...especially at home where the pressure to score is greater.

We have also gone behind in games quite a bit, which means the opposition tend to drop back and deny space around the penalty area. Again, this shuts down the options and with time running out, the ball is played directly towards the danger zone. We don't have a Leaburn anymore, who was an expert at knocking the ball down, thus keeping it alive around the penalty area...plus the defenders tend to be of a higher standard so our big men don't win as much in the air around the box as last season. .

Ultimately, it's down to having good enough players to play a pass and move game. I'll use Chris Solly as an example; he is Charlton's best player but one of the weaker parts of his game is his passing. Quite often he'll be the one who will be playing the longer type of ball to the forwards (partly because the options aren't really there and partly because it's what he feels comfortable doing). But with better players around him, that part of his game would go un-noticed because he'd have more options. I suspect that one of the reasons Dervite was preferred to Cort was that Powell feels he's a better man for starting moves from the back and it showed me that we were TRYING to change our style of play. Ultimately we missed Cort for his defensive abilities and organisational skills.

There is also a lack of pace a lack and running ability in the midfield. Jensen didn't have pace but think of how he used to open the pitch up by his running with the ball. This is possibly where Kerkar or Green could be employed to good effect, in the way that Mortimer (a very left footed player) looked better when he played centre-mid (you'd have to play 4-5-1 though because either Green or Kerkar would be exposed in the centre of a 4 man midfield because neither can tackle or head).

So...if I had everyone available and we'd decided to go the footballing route, I'd try; Hamer - Solly Morrison Cort Wiggins - Wilson Stephens Green Jackson Kerkar - Fuller (with big roles to play also from Hulse, Pritchard, Kermogant, BWP).
  • Options
    Would like to see us play 4-1-3-2 Pritch playing Makelele role in front of back 4, Wilson, Frimpong, Stephens or Waggy, Hulse and Haynes. We played winning football last year but it certainly wasn't attractive or expansive. Can't doubt the boys effort but it has become a little predictable. It would appear we played high balls to Kerms on Saturday when we all know Llera is terrible on the floor, doesn't make tactical sense.

Leeeeaburn, very funny, terrible but still a Charlton legend for me, just for reaction at Chelsea away, you'll know what I mean if you were there.
  • Options
    I dont think we are blessed with an abundance of championship talent so I think the way CP sets us up is about right.

We are a solid hardworking side who will take points consistently through the season without ever really impressing and going on a run. As Scoham says this is pretty much how Curbs set us up in the Premier league when competing against teams with better resources and unless the money is there to significantly strengthen then a mid table finish with this style of play would be a good season in my eyes.
  • Options
    The more you struggle the more you resort to long ball tactics.
    Were up against better players. At least we are keeping games tight.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The style of play has been dictated by the available player personnel. We do not have a particularly creative midfield, our defenders are not too happy 'going forward', we are playing to what Powell perceives to be our strengths, that is a big man/men up front. It's not pretty but has been pretty effective.
    Every game I've seen this season has been dire, but we got a few results & are are well above the relegation places (so far). When we have Barcelona type players, I expect us to play like Barcelona, until then .. never mind the quality, take what we can get
  • Options
    I suspect that we are seeing a higher quality passing game sacrificed in the drive for points and safety. I think we do have some players capable of playing in the Swansea/Brighton way but insufficient to do that safely, knowing that we will retain possession. So we see a little bit of that but a lot more of the longer game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    General Style of Play - In League One it was "up, back and through" football, mixed up with quick attacking play along the flanks and early crosses into the box. Which was very effective. This season we have been more direct because in most games we haven't been strong enough in midfield to control the game and play through the middle third. We are gradually phasing out the players who are not strong enough or consistent enough at this level. The General Style of Play will improve as better players are added to the squad.

Tactics - They should change with the opposition and whether the match is at home or away. CP has had his moments when he has picked the wrong system - the Diamond at Forest stands out - but he has got it right on most occasions. Brighton at home is the best example. All managers are vulnerable to players under performing. He will know who he can rely on and who has not been capable of doing the job. But overall, CP has adapted his tactics well - like all managers, he needs better quality in the squad if we are going to push on, particularly in central midfield where most games are won and lost.
  • Options
    I agree with most of the comments so far. One issue not covered, however, is Powell's philosophy about style of play. If he truly does want to play a passing game through midfield, why has he recruited the type of players he has. It seems to me that he has brought in players to be effective in League One but without a long term strategy for playing at a higher level in the Championship. As a result, he is left with a team that will battle and be difficult to beat but are unable to keep the ball for long periods.
    Is this by design because that's the way he wants to play or did he expect money in the summer to bring in more creative but expensive players?

• Options
    Personally don't care what style we play as long as we win. We're lacking in midfield and a left back to go further than the halfway line, Seaborne has done a good job defensively but he's a centre back out of position.

If money's there we'll improve in time but for now with the likes of morro jj Kerms and Solly pulling on the shirt I don't worry about relegation