Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Catfish 1 Pigeons 0

http://youtu.be/UZwPG_x6QEk
In Southwestern France, a group of fish have learned how to kill birds. As the River Tarn winds through the city of Albi, it contains a small gravel island where pigeons gather to clean and bathe. And patrolling the island are European catfish—1 to 1.5 metres long, and the largest freshwater fish on the continent. These particular catfish have taken to lunging out of the water, grabbing a pigeon, and then wriggling back into the water to swallow their prey. In the process, they temporarily strand themselves on land for a few seconds.

Other aquatic hunters strand themselves in a similar way, including bottlenose dolphins from South Carolina, which drive small fish onto beaches, and Argentinian killer whales, which swim onto beaches to snag resting sealions. The behaviour of the Tarn catfishes is so similar that Julien Cucherousset from Paul Sabatier University in Toulouse describes them as “freshwater killer whales”.

Alerted to the fishes’ behaviour by local fishermen, Cucherousset watched them from a bridge overlooking the island. Over the summer of 2011, he filmed 54 attacks, of which 28 percent were successful.

Catfish get their name for the long, sensitive whiskers (or ‘barbels’) on their upper jaws, and the Tarn fishes would erect theirs when they were hunting pigeons. This, combined with the fact that only moving pigeons were ever attacked, suggests that the fish are sensing the vibrations of birds that approached the water.

Chucherousset collected samples of the catfish, as well as the three animals that they eat—pigeons, crayfish, and smaller fish. All of these prey have different levels of carbon and nitrogen in their bodies, and Chucherousset used these to show that individual catfish varied in whether they hunted pigeons, and those that did ate fewer fish.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Never seen that before, wonder if the catfish like pintade as well?
  • Always wanted to go and catch cat fish in france or Spain my take little lad on a weekend to do it
  • Always wanted to go and catch cat fish in france or Spain my take little lad on a weekend to do it

Just get your little lad a pigeon suit and you're laughing.........................

You're welcome to stay at mine pal, plenty of lakes round here! You can fish in my lake but there ain't any cats in it, just roach and perch and a few carp and tench.
  • Might take you up on that mate cheers pal