Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Madness of Premiership Wages

Yes, Harry might have a reputation but here he has a valid point, who in their right mind would pay Jose Bosingwa - a reserve player at Chelsea - £65,000 per week?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2252195/Harry-Redknapp-launches-attack-QPR-players.html

What is the owner of the club, in this case Tony Fernandes, thinking by allowing these sort of wages? Utter madness.

Comments

• Its fine for Harry to make these justifiable comments, but he is part of the problem. He is building excuses, as his messianic appointment fails to have its desired effect. Much of Portsmouths plight is down to Harry and his profligate use of the cheque book.
  • Exactly Kap , to a lesser extent Pardew done the same thing at Charlton
    and weak chairmen like Murray, hoping for him to be the saviour, gives in to all the silly demands of the manager and you end up with crocks of shit drawing big wages from you without even playing sometimes
  • The irony that Redknapp comes out with this. He is part of the problem and then says this. I'm sure his media mates will ignore that though.
  • Whatever he's done in the past, there's nothing wrong with what he's said there. There's absolutely no point in spending in January unless they can pick up a real bargain. What they need is to rebuild in the summer with the aim of bouncing back. And, to be fair to those profligate managers, there's a structural problem with football that needs addressing and that problem became apparent the second that they decided that football clubs were businesses. Sure Redknapp, Pardew and others are guilty of having overspent in the past, but it's the whole logic of the system that leads them into it.
  • The excuses are flowing from him now. All that from a man who claimed he didn't know any of the player's wages at Spurs.
  • colthe3rd said:

The excuses are flowing from him now. All that from a man who claimed he didn't know any of the player's wages at Spurs.

Spot on Col. To suggest that this player is earning more than ANY of his signings at Spurs (and you can include Pompey as well) is utter, utter balls. Wasn't Spurs contribution to Adebayor's wages when he was on loan more than that alone for example. These agents he talks about, wouldn't be the same ones that he has a long history of doing 'business' with would they?

Redknapp sums up everything that is wrong with the game for me. Nothing is ever his fault, taps up players or disciplines them in the press, has played a huge part in wage inflation and left several clubs on the verge of financial meltdown and for what, one lousy FA cup.
  • Didn't he sign 144 players over 7 years while at wet ham?
  • There are huge sums of money sloshing around in football but the problem is that the vast majority of it is being taken straight back out of the game by just a few hundred people. Teams that gain promotion to the premier league are locked into the madness and although the rewards are massive the consequences of relegation can be catastrophic. No idea what the solution is but as far as I am concerned the money involved in the premier league is like an albatross hanging round the neck of English football.
  • colthe3rd said:

The excuses are flowing from him now. All that from a man who claimed he didn't know any of the player's wages at Spurs.

Spot on Col. To suggest that this player is earning more than ANY of his signings at Spurs (and you can include Pompey as well) is utter, utter balls. Wasn't Spurs contribution to Adebayor's wages when he was on loan more than that alone for example. These agents he talks about, wouldn't be the same ones that he has a long history of doing 'business' with would they?

Redknapp sums up everything that is wrong with the game for me. Nothing is ever his fault, taps up players or disciplines them in the press, has played a huge part in wage inflation and left several clubs on the verge of financial meltdown and for what, one lousy FA cup.
    Exactly BA, from those quotes it would seem he wouldn't have much of a problem with QPR paying those players that much if they were actually any good.

As much as I dislike the man though I have to give it to him he knows exactly how to manipulate the media into getting what he wants. I think what he has said will help with two things. First, it will be used as an excuse to not pay as much to new signings in Jan, "look at what we spent before, can't keep doing that". Second, it helps him personally, if they go down this will just be another excuse to add to the reasons he couldn't save them, along with "when I came here QPR had 4 points" etc. If he keeps them up then it's just something to add to the 'Arry hype as to why he is the greatest English manager ever.
  • cafc999 said:

Didn't he sign 144 players over 7 years while at wet ham?

Correct. As recorded in Tom Bower's book. Agree with all the critical comments above. Brass nerved hypocrite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redknapp says this in the same week that he says he wants to sign Anelka. How much would he cost QPR in transfer fee, agents fee, wages and bonuses? In my opinion that would be a ridiculous signing for the club.

Saying that though, he has been left up s**t creek by Mark Hughes and the crap he has signed.
  • Isn't he a character
  • Probably upset with his January transfer budget. You don't get nice fat brown envelopes unless you spend big.
  • Probably upset with his January transfer budget. You don't get nice fat brown envelopes unless you spend big.

... allegedly ;-)
  • Of course, what arry says he is completely right. No club with an 18,000 capacity should be paying out those wages.

However the irony is if it wasn't for the wages, and the likely further spending in Jan, arry would not have touched this job with a bargepole.
  • Kap10 said:

Its fine for Harry to make these justifiable comments, but he is part of the problem. He is building excuses, as his messianic appointment fails to have its desired effect. Much of Portsmouths plight is down to Harry and his profligate use of the cheque book.

Three draws and a win from last 5 under him is pretty good I'd say considering what he came into.
  • E-cafc said:

Redknapp says this in the same week that he says he wants to sign Anelka. How much would he cost QPR in transfer fee, agents fee, wages and bonuses? In my opinion that would be a ridiculous signing for the club.

Saying that though, he has been left up s**t creek by Mark Hughes and the crap he has signed.

Good point. You could argue that Anelka has been there and done it though and has always scored goals whereas the Bosingwa signing and wages are a strange one.

• One that annoys me is Arsenals chamak who I heard is on £50k a week. He never plays for them and is rubbish when called upon to the 1st team, I wouldn't even want him at charlton for 2k a week.

All he is paid to do is turn up to training for 3 or 4 hours a day, feature for their reserves which sounds great and most people would do that for minimum wage.

He lives a shockingly amazing lifestyle for what he actually does. It's awful.

The only thing going for him is the catchphrase "cha-mak my bitch up"

There are probably loads of players like this.
  • edited December 2012
    If Anelka can score the goals to keep QPR in the prem, then he will be worth every penny of whatever he is paid. If he's a flop, so what. The Prem has become a lottery/heavy duty gamble for megarich men who can probably offset their football club/hobby/vanity project losses against the profits made from airlines, gas fields, arms dealing or whatever is their regular day to day business activity.
  • Kap10 said:

Its fine for Harry to make these justifiable comments, but he is part of the problem. He is building excuses, as his messianic appointment fails to have its desired effect. Much of Portsmouths plight is down to Harry and his profligate use of the cheque book.

Three draws and a win from last 5 under him is pretty good I'd say considering what he came into.
    The highest placed team they have played is Fulham and they are no closer now to safety than when he took over.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2012
    colthe3rd said:

Kap10 said:

The highest placed team they have played is Fulham and they are no closer now to safety than when he took over.

exactly ...but he can't lose ...they go down, it was inevitable and not his fault, players not good enough ...stay up and it is entirely down to his incredible skills and nothing to do with the players
  • edited December 2012

Of course, what arry says he is completely right. No club with an 18,000 capacity should be paying out those wages.

However the irony is if it wasn't for the wages, and the likely further spending in Jan, arry would not have touched this job with a bargepole.

This. Of course he's right about the wages and the players.

Now watch him in January. Hypocritical, corrupt ("allegedly"), press-courting leather-faced twat!
  • Surely QPR cannot have players on more than EVERYONE at Spurs which is what Redknapp was suggesting?

• You have gotta love Harry for coming out and saying it, so few managers would do the same.
  • Has Harry shot himself in the foot? He has a number of players on wages that are too high and he wants to move them on. They have time on their contracts so they are in no hurry to reduce their own wages and Harry has told the world that they are useless so who is going to buy them now or in the summer.
  • Zamora - £90k a week.

It was always going to end in tears.
  • Addickted said:

Zamora - £90k a week.

Just reading that a player like Zamora is on 90K per week has ruined my Xmas.
  • Heard yesterday (Bloke in pub source) that Norwich total weekly wage bill is less than £100,000.
  • Addickted said:

Zamora - £90k a week.

I heard it was more
  • Ormiston Addick said: Addickted said:
    Zamora - £90k a week.

Just reading that a player like Zamora is on 90K per week has ruined my Xmas.

Too right Ormy the whole thing is out of control but whilst the public get on their high horse about bankers and traders they seemingly ignore this obscenity so this Jose mush at Chelsea is on £3.4M a year to sit on his arse amazing! Time for the whole thing to be bought into proportion I would say.