Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Minecraft

Has anybody played this game? My nine year old is desperate to get it for Xmas. Is it suitable for him and will it last beyond next week in terms of interest?

Comments

• Search for it on youtube, it's rather odd but fun from what I've seen of it
  • I have it and I must say I love it. It's available on xbox and computer now. It's more than suitable for him, the monsters aren't scary at all, no more than in mario, all you do is run around, collect items and build things, its very creative and great fun.

Only thing is, it requires a certain amount of grinding out, the idea of the game is to collect materials (stone, coal, iron, gold, diamonds) and use them to make or do whatever you want. And to get stuff like diamond sometimes you have to mine a long way just to get a couple bits of it, so it could get a lil dull, but I reckon it'd be a good present. More creative and suitable than a lot of games about for kids atm.
  • Sounds right up his street LNA. He is a bit geeky and happy to play a game that takes a while to develop.
  • my boy is 8 and loves it, he builds all sorts of crazy stuff including The Valley!!
  • My 12 yr old has been addicted to this for over a year now. If he gets into it, he'll be playing for ages.

Definately suitable mate..................
  • cafc999 said:

my boy is 8 and loves it, he builds all sorts of crazy stuff including The Valley!!

My son who is also 8 has it on my iPad, his mums iPad, the lap top and his Xbox and is totally obsessed with it. Like 999s son, he built a football stadium but sadly not The Valley. It's one of the very few games that I can honestly say is harmless to small kids. No blood, guts or gore!
  • Ok well I'd definitely go for it then :)
  • edited December 2012
    Yep, my youngest (13) is another Minecraft obsessive. He absolutely loves it. Him and his mates build huge landscapes with it. I don't know how they do it but they export/import each others' work, building a section each. So it's a great tool for collaborative learning.

He has another programme (sorry, I can't remember what it's called) that they use to record what happens in Minecraft and play it back as a video.
  • Check out the "YogsCast" or "YogPog" videos on youtube, they build some insane stuff, never really played it but know the guys who make the vids.
  • Check out the "YogsCast" or "YogPog" videos on youtube, they build some insane stuff, never really played it but know the guys who make the vids.

You know yogscast?!?! Which members?
  • Sponsored links:

• Hannah, Lewis and Simon.
  • You want to be really careful with this. I think that videogames have a bad influence on kids. Be careful that he doesn't start mining in your back garden, and building mad stuff everywhere - it's a recipe for tragedy.
  • Stig said:

Yep, my youngest (13) is another Minecraft obsessive. He absolutely loves it. Him and his mates build huge landscapes with it. I don't know how they do it but they export/import each others' work, building a section each. So it's a great tool for collaborative learning.

He has another programme (sorry, I can't remember what it's called) that they use to record what happens in Minecraft and play it back as a video.

I think that's weird. CatJnr plays it with his mates but they also watch YouTube videos of other people playing - I think that's downright odd.

Tis a good game and doesn't get them hyped like a shootem up - though it was quite funny the other day when he and his mate called MrsCat to show her what they had made... turned out to be a massive tower in the shape of a penis. Beginning to wonder if Leroy A has a point....

• My 10 year old loves it as to a load of his friends.
  • My 8 year old plays this at his after school club and they are really strict on the online access they have. He is totally obsessed with it. I have only seen it a couple of times but it does look good fun and very creative.
  • You want to be really careful with this. I think that videogames have a bad influence on kids. Be careful that he doesn't start mining in your back garden, and building mad stuff everywhere - it's a recipe for tragedy.

LOL.

• embarressed to say i tried playing it but really had no idea what i was doing.

Jesus, well tell them not to waste the career of a lifetime, to be able to be paid to play games all day is a dream. Also, they're doing a great job.

Jesus, well tell them not to waste the career of a lifetime, to be able to be paid to play games all day is a dream. Also, they're doing a great job.
    I haven't spoken to any of them for a while, last time I spoke to any of them was back when YOGPod was just starting, way before mine craft even existed.

• Sponsored links:

• That's a thing of beauty!
  • embarressed to say i tried playing it but really had no idea what i was doing.

Do not be embarrassed Kent.......I have no idea either!!!

• No violence, depending on your imagination can last for months and "all the kids are doing it" it's a perfect game for a 9 year old.
  • cafc999 said:

embarressed to say i tried playing it but really had no idea what i was doing.

I'm only 21! Shouldn't be losing touch with gaming so early haha
  • cafc999 said:

embarressed to say i tried playing it but really had no idea what i was doing.

I'm only 21! Shouldn't be losing touch with gaming so early haha
    Oh dear :)
  • minecraft has swords and bows but no blood involved. very fun, quite adictting
    p.s im aged(redrobos son) aged 10
  • I think its free on the internet with a PC. My son who is 11 is on this all the time and it is very creative more than anything. Basically, a building blocks environment where you and your friends can go online and build anything. Sometimes costs me money when he wants to upgrade tools and build certain environments. Costing me 8 quid a month at the moment so he can own his own server, whatever that means.
  • I think there's a limited version that's free. The full one costs about £12 to download.
  • Stig said:

I think there's a limited version that's free. The full one costs about £12 to download.

Yep, that sounds about right.

• Cheers everyone, he and his slightly younger brother are already watching clips of other people games. I don't really get that bit....