Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The history of the United States

Wanting to learn a bit more about the history of the country just for my own curiosity, Starting from Columbus discovery to the modern day.

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend any DVDs that would cover this? Books are also an option but would prefer to watch something to get started with.................

Comments

• There was a series on History channel a little while back which was very good, exactly what youve mentioned.
    Keep an eye out as they always repeat it.
  • Wanting to learn a bit more about the history of the country just for my own curiosity, Starting from Columbus discovery to the modern day.

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend any DVDs that would cover this? Books are also an option but would prefer to watch something to get started with.................

The best one is America - A Personal History of the United States by Alistair Cooke of 'Letter From America' fame, its a four-disc DVD pack and you should get it easily via Amazon or whatever.

It covers the discovery of the US by Columbus right through to about 1970 and was mandated by President Reagan to be part of the US education syllabus for history.
  • Do these histories explain when most of the population became absolute tw@ts?
  • Did you know that the red stripes on the American flag was originally taken off the St Georges Cross.

Actually, if you watch the series I mention you do get a much, much better understanding of the American mentality, not just towards guns but their totally different way of viewing the world.
  • I visited the civil war battlefields and the Jamestown settlement in Virginia in 2006 (missed Curbs last game) and it certainly gave me a much better understanding of the country. Bit more expensive than a box set but if anyone ever gets the chance to go id 100% recommend it.
  • Wanting to learn a bit more about the history of the country just for my own curiosity, Starting from Columbus discovery to the modern day.

The best one is America - A Personal History of the United States by Alistair Cooke of 'Letter From America' fame, its a four-disc DVD pack and you should get it easily via Amazon or whatever.

It covers the discovery of the US by Columbus right through to about 1970 and was mandated by President Reagan to be part of the US education syllabus for history.
    I would double that recommendation.
  • I liked Hugh brogan's Oxford history about 400 pages, very digestible and balanced.

I do enjoy a nice casual bit of xenophobia on CL now and again, thanks!
  • Sponsored links:

• fatrob said:

Did you know that the red stripes on the American flag was originally taken off the St Georges Cross.

I thought it was an adaption of the British east India company flag
  • Try Eric Foner's Give me Liberty, I'm using that at uni now
  • redcarter said:

fatrob said:

Did you know that the red stripes on the American flag was originally taken off the St Georges Cross.

I thought it was an adaption of the British east India company flag
    That's what I was told in a history museum in Boston.

Sad!
  • colthe3rd said:

Do these histories explain when most of the population became absolute tw@ts?

Careful. Pointiing our such uncomfotable truths often leads to personal abuse. : - (

Back on topic Studs Terkel's American Century (or anything by him) give a broader insight into the US.

Hugh Brogan is also good.

Dee Browns' Bury my head at Wounded Knee is a must read.

Ken Burns has done some award winning TV series. The Civil war is my favorite. PBS shows them ocer here if you have that channel.
  • I could be wrong here and I'm not going to look it up but did Columbus have anything at all to do with the US? I thought he discovered first the Bahamas and later Hispaniola, now Cuba. Wasn't it some Norwegian bloke that actually landed in what is now the US and much earlier than Columbus?
  • edited December 2012
    I didn't know the US was lost.

Haven't they now proved the Vikings got there long before any others.

• Addickted said:

Native Americans "discovered" it before any of the above
  • se9addick said:

Addickted said:

Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

Now I thought this comment was quite funny but knew you and your pal would pick up on it.

For the record, I love Americans and America.

• Curb_It said:

colthe3rd said:

Now I thought this comment was quite funny but knew you and your pal would pick up on it.

For the record, I love Americans and America.

Me and my pal?
  • BIG_ROB said:

se9addick said:

Addickted said:

Thanks for pointing that out.
    No worries
  • Xenophobia is not permitted on CL unless it's towards the British, especially the English.
  • BIG_ROB said:

Complaining about Xenophobia is only permitted if it's towards the British, especially the English. Otherwise it's left wing twonks being PC

Corrected for you : - )

• edited December 2012

BIG_ROB said:

Complaining about Xenophobia is only permitted if it's towards the British, especially the English. Otherwise it's left wing twonks being PC

Thanks, point still stands.
  • BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Yes, it does. xenophobia is wrong regardless but some seem to only complain if it's themselves in the firing line.

Anyone else and it's "PC gone mad" Strange that.

• Addickted said:

Not to the (modern day) US - only the tip of Newfoundland.

• BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Yes, it does. xenophobia is wrong regardless but some seem to only complain if it's themselves in the firing line.

Anyone else and it's "PC gone mad" Strange that.

Glad you agree
  • I don't think it's possible to be xenophobic towards ones own nationality