Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zenit St Petersburg fans want black and gay players excluded

A Zenit St Petersburg supporters' group has called for non-white and gay players to be excluded from the team.

The Russian champions' largest fans' group, Landscrona, said in an open-letter that black players are "forced down Zenit's throat".
They added that gay players are "unworthy of our great city".

Dietmar Beiersdorfer, Zenit director of sports, said players were selected "without any limitation regarding origin, religion or skin colour".
Zenit were the only top-flight Russian team without a black player until this summer.

They signed Brazilian striker Hulk and Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel for £64m.

French midfielder Yann M'Vila reportedly turned down a move to the club in August as a result of racist abuse.

Zenit's Italian head coach, Luciano Spalletti described the supporters' call as "stupidity", saying "tolerance for me is most of all the ability to understand and accept differences".

He added: "I can personally assure you that I will do everything I can to help those who seek to explain to people what tolerance is, and the need to respect other cultures and traditions.

"I think that Zenit has proven through its work that the club understands what tolerance is, and what it means to have tolerant behaviour. The team has gathered players from different countries and ethnic groups who work together to achieve a common goal."

The fans' manifesto read: "The absence of black Zenit players is just an important tradition that underlines the team's identity and nothing more."

Black players in the Russian league have been the target of monkey chants and Anzhi Makhachkala's Christopher Samba had bananas thrown at him by fans. Zenit St Petersburg were fined by the Russian Football Union after one of their fans offered Roberto Carlos of Anzhi a banana before a match between the two sides in March 2011.

Zenit are currently third in the Russian Premier League behind leaders CSKA Moscow and Anzhi. They will play in this season's Europa League after finishing third in Champions League Group C.

Comments

• Options
    Still, let them host the World Cup.
  • Options
    You spelt Millwall wrong.......
  • Options
    Backwards.
  • Options
    "Anyone who disagrees is being offended on behalf of others"

Well, that is the justification trotted out on here for other homophobic or racist remarks but this is some " foriegners" so I guess well can look down our noses at them and complain that if it was English fans UEFA would ban us (even though its not true).

• Options
    Aprés USSR .. Putin's Russia is the new Naziland
  • Options
    All the money in the world will not elevate Zenit into the world elite while attitudes like that prevail. I am certain that top quality players who went there for the big money cannot be happy, and it will deter others of all races.
  • Options
    If this was English fans UEFA would ban us.

• Options
    Or fine us £50
  • Options

Ridiculous argument against them having the world cup tbf.
  • Options
    I need to start using the winky smiley feature I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The most shocking thing is; no one is really shocked or surprised.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

No it isn't. FIFA ought to take into account the attitude of the national football authority, clubs and fans in awarding the privilege of hosting a world cup. Also the quality of the footballing, communications, media, transport and hotel infrastructures, security and commercial returns.
  • Options

I need to start using the winky smiley feature I think

Where do I get access to this feature? Is it just clique members?
  • Options
    You have to apply. It allows you to say anything you want and pass it off as an acceptable comment.
  • Options

Well, that is the justification trotted out on here for other homophobic or racist remarks but this is some " foriegners" so I guess well can look down our noses at them and complain that if it was English fans UEFA would ban us (even though its not true).

nice thinly veiled stab at other members there.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

colthe3rd said:

No it isn't. FIFA ought to take into account the attitude of the national football authority, clubs and fans in awarding the privilege of hosting a world cup. Also the quality of the footballing, communications, media, transport and hotel infrastructures, security and commercial returns.
    Hasn't everyone in an official capacity come out and reacted negatively to this statement ? Didn't Zenit actually sign two very high profile nom white players this summer ?

Don't get me wrong, Russia's got problems but condemning them over this ridiculous statement is akin to taking the Champions League final away from London because of some of the b/s that's spouted on Charlton Loyal.
  • Options

You have to apply. It allows you to say anything you want and pass it off as an acceptable comment.

Seems everyone on here but me has that feature then :-(
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Seems everyone on here but me has that feature then :-(
    sad smileys are not acceptable mate. too far!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Davo55 said:

colthe3rd said:

Hasn't everyone in an official capacity come out and reacted negatively to this statement ? Didn't Zenit actually sign two very high profile nom white players this summer ?

Don't get me wrong, Russia's got problems but condemning them over this ridiculous statement is akin to taking the Champions League final away from London because of some of the b/s that's spouted on Charlton Loyal.
    Reactions, Schmeactions - it's what they do about it that is important. And, by the way, I'm not advocating taking the world cup away from them but simply stating that FIFA ought to consider this kind of issue when they are awarding it.
  • Options
    Disgusting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

nice thinly veiled stab at other members there.
    If the cap fits wear it

• Options
    I'm sure FIFA will be doing their utmost to ensure that no African side gets drawn to play in St Petersburg in 2018. Would be highly embarrassing for Blatter and his men.
  • Options

I'm sure FIFA will be doing their utmost to ensure that no African side gets drawn to play in St Petersburg in 2018. Would be highly embarrassing for Blatter and his men.

Blatter doesn't know how to be embarrassed!! He would have gone long ago if he did.
  • Options
    To be honest if we start banning any country/place from hosting tournaments for having some racist fans then Fifa will have to look at the technology to play the World Cup on the Moon or maybe under the sea, this is disgusting but using it as a reason why Russia should not get the World Cup is stupid and bitter.
  • Options
    I would say I'm shocked by the fans statement but I'd be lying. Russia has a massive far-right skinhead problem so it doesn't take a genius to work out that that kind of sentiment is going to seep onto their terraces.

I wouldn't ban them from hosting, personally hope they show themselves up for the backward nation they are, but I hope players have the courage and support to walk from the field of play if abused.
  • Options
    I am sure Zenit's hierarchy know who the leaders of the group are, they need to inform the police and action should be taken in accordance with Russian law. If they have not committed an offence then FIFA should have taken that into account when awarding the World Cup. If they have broken Russian law then they should be prosecuted. That is all you can ask of the Russian authorities really.
  • Options
    I'm amazed SE10 hasn't turned up yet.
  • Options
    I remember when Odemwingie left Lokomotiv they unveiled a banner with a banana on it saying 'Thanks West Brom'. It seems to be quite a widespread problem over there and nothing is being done about it. Wonder how the World Cup will turn out as the powers that be can hardly ignore it with the amount of coverage it'll get. Then again, I've learned never to underestimate them..

I'm glad to see you've decided to make this about you though Henry.
  • Options
    What a strange thing to say Garry and with no substance whatsoever.

Seems I can't point out that some people are happy to excuse racist and homephobic abuse much closer to home without you and KentAddick having a personal dig at me.

As I said if the cap fits
  • Options
    Why create an argument where there isn't one though Henners of Bromley, everyone was agreeing till you post.