Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Obi Mikel banned for Clattenberg threats

Chelsea's John Mikel Obi has been given a three-match ban and fined £60,000 by the Football Association for threatening referee Mark Clattenburg.

Mikel admitted an FA charge following an incident in the match officials' changing room after Chelsea's defeat by Manchester United on 28 October.

The FA accepted the player had believed the referee had racially abused him.

"But for that factor the suspension would have been significantly longer," the FA said in a statement.

In a personal hearing on Thursday the FA's Independent Regulatory Commission also accepted the Nigerian midfielder's explanation.

The FA has investigated the allegation against Clattenburg and found that there was no case for him to answer.

The police also dropped their own inquiry into the allegations that Clattenburg had racially abused Mikel, 25.

Mikel's team-mate Ramires had made the allegation and Chelsea later said they regretted the way the matter was handled.

Clattenburg missed four weekends of Premier League matches while the FA investigated Chelsea's complaint.

Comments

• Options
    Good.

Should be banned for longer for making something up and potentially ruining a mans livelihood

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Good.

Should be banned for longer for making something up and potentially ruining a mans livelihood

TBF Mikel didn't make it up. He was told by Rameris that that was what clattenberg had said.

Still doesn't excuse his behaviour and lucky to get away with the same ban he'd have got for punching the ball off the line or bringing down a striker thru on goal.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Good.

The allegation came from Ramires, Mikel admited he heard nothing.
  • Options
    Right that he is punished.

Although the instigators of it should be punished as well.
  • Options
    Think it's been handled very well to be honest (by all apart from Chelsea, obviously.

Clattenburg's name comprehensively cleared, FA let it be known they think Ramires genuinely thought he heard it so no unjust recriminations, Mikel banned for acting like an idiot but the circumstances of that taken into acccount when deciding the length of ban.

FA get a lot wrong but they've done this the right way.
  • Options
    Glad he's been done
    It's about time Chelsea realize that they can't bully and intimidate officials anymore
    Bunch of overpaid underperforming average tests
  • Options
    Clattenburg misses 4 games for something he didn't do. Mikel misses 3 games for something he did do........mmmmmmm....
  • Options
    I think his biggest crime is being a crap footballer . How he gets in that team is beyond me.
  • Options
    The thing that always makes me laugh about Mikel (and trust me there are a lot of things given just how limited a footballer he is), is that Chelsea paid Man U £12million for him and the closest he got to wearing a Man United shirt was holding one up. No wonder Man United have been top dogs for years, everyone else just hands it to them on a plate!
  • Options

Clattenburg misses 4 games for something he didn't do. Mikel misses 3 games for something he did do........mmmmmmm....

My thoughts entirely. Clatenburg lost money as well effectively a cost for being innocent

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I think his biggest crime is being a crap footballer . How he gets in that team is beyond me.

From what I have seen from him this season he has been missing for a lot longer than 3 games. Surely once Lampard is fit he will force that useless lump way beyond the bench. And to think Man U and Chelsea fought over his signature. Glad to see Clattenburg cleared and Mikel penalised for outrageous behaviour.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

My thoughts entirely. Clatenburg lost money as well effectively a cost for being innocent

I imagine he was paid in full.
  • Options
    It was Clattenburg's decision not to ref in that period of time as well.
  • Options
    Mikel and Ramires have got off lightly, Ramires scot free
  • Options
    When are we going to get an apology from Chelsea for having to play on sand?
  • Options
    Pathetic punishment typical of the people who run football these days.
  • Options

Don't be daft, Ramires acted in good faith, you can't punish him for speaking up.
  • Options

Don't be daft, Ramires acted in good faith, you can't punish him for speaking up.
    'acted in good faith' .. righto !!
  • Options

Two players sent off and they lost, right then......how can we get at him?

They sat down in the dressing room afterwards and concocted this bullsh*t story.

They should have points deducted and be forced to play every game with nine men for the rest of the season!!
  • Options

Two players sent off and they lost, right then......how can we get at him?

They sat down in the dressing room afterwards and concocted this bullsh*t story.

They should have points deducted and be forced to play every game with nine men for the rest of the season!!
    either this or Ramires was in such a state after the game that he either imagined he heard someting untoward or decided off his own bat that he would 'get the ref'. Either way, malicious or misheard, he has got away with it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012

Kap10 said:

I imagine he was paid in full.
    There are add ons for referees at games related to appearance, which is on top of their basic, so if they do not referee a game then they don't get paid, they get money based upon their assessment from the match day assessor and there a re a few further add ons. So he'll get his basic but will he get the add ons.