Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of 2012

Gotta be Wiggo!? (Bradders)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2012
    First British male Wimbledon finalist since 1938.

First British male Grand Slam winner since 1936.

Olympic gold medal Mens Singles.

Olympic silver medal Mixed Doubles

Andy Murray

(not decrying Wiggins but pointing out what he is up against. The same sort of catalogue of achievement can be compiled for quite a few this year)

• Options
    Yeah but Wiggo is a Mod!
  • Options
    toughest year ever?
  • Options
    Wiggins
    Farah
    Murray

I reckon it will be
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Yeah but Wiggo is a Mod!

exactly ... gets the deciding vote ;-)
  • Options
    In a ordinary year, Murray wins, in extraordinary year like this, Wiggins is peerless, with for me only Weir, Farah and Ennis coming close.
  • Options
    Wiggins
    Ennis
    Murray

Team GB - Olympics

(I really hate that Americanism btw!)
  • Options
    Wiggins but Murray will get it back in three years time when it comes out Wiggo gets done for doping.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Love to see Wiggo, but can't see two cyclists in succession. (PLus part of Wiggo's TDF was won for him by Fromedog and the team)

Weir for me followed by Murray, Ennis.
  • Options
    For me it's either Nicola Adams or Ellie Simmonds. All others mentioned are fine sports people. But Nicola and Ellie are as the title of the award suggests have personality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    WSS said:

Wiggins but Murray will get it back in three years time when it comes out Wiggo gets done for doping.

Thwike him Thenturion, and thwow him to the ground.:-)
  • Options
    Wiggins, Farah and Ennis

Murray would be a cert in a non olympic year (Us Open and Wimbledon) and a few people may still have not forgiven for him for his comment in 2006. Sad but true.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Wiggins, Farah and Ennis

Murray would be a cert in a non olympic year (Us Open and Wimbledon) and a few people may still have not forgiven for him for his comment in 2006. Sad but true.

Does the word Personality not mean Murray is ineligible ?
  • Options
    I think that went out the window when Giggs won it
  • Options
    JT said:

I think that went out the window when Giggs won it

Even though BBC Wales do their own Welsh only award.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

shirty5 said:

Wiggins, Farah and Ennis

Does the word Personality not mean Murray is ineligible ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

When the likes of Mansell and Davis are listed as past winners, you have to ignore the "Personality" part of of the wording.

• Options
    It's the Wierwolf for me.
  • Options
    Agree with Big Rob and Rothko. Absolutely got to be Wiggo; no ifs no buts.

There's some other great achievements out there, but nothing close to a TDF win. Plus he got an olympic gold as well!
  • Options
    Wiggo for me. Amazing that the list is so rich that Triathlon Gold medalist Brownlee doesn't even make the 12.
  • Options
    Wiggins has also won, Paris-Nice, Tour de Romande and the Critérium du Dauphiné, on top of the TdF and Olympics.

Exceptional record very rarely matched.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stone said:

Wiggo for me. Amazing that the list is so rich that Triathlon Gold medalist Brownlee doesn't even make the 12.

And his 10'000m time was nothing short of incredible considering the two other eveents alongisde.

• Options
    All the women will vote for Ennis, all the Scots for Murray. That leaves Farah out in the cold though (imo) he should walk it .. sorry .. run it by a mile
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Rothko said:

Wiggins has also won, Paris-Nice, Tour de Romande and the Critérium du Dauphiné, on top of the TdF and Olympics.

This. While others have won some exceptional events in their sports Wiggins has dominated the cycling calender all year round and as a result has won events that other Briton's have never come close to winning. Its also hard for anyone to win all those events in one season anyway, I could go on but the fact that he won TDF means he should get it anyway.

So yeah Wiggo by a mile or maybe in his case a mountain ; )
  • Options

Rothko said:

This. While others have won some exceptional events in their sports Wiggins has dominated the cycling calender all year round and as a result has won events that other Briton's have never come close to winning. Its also hard for anyone to win all those events in one season anyway, I could go on but the fact that he won TDF means he should get it anyway.

Wiggins is always assisted by a TEAM, his domestiques and French Maids .. mmmm .. undoubtedly a talented man and has had a great year ,but he is the star of a great TEAM
  • Options
    The team business is a complete red herring: 2011, Mark Cavendish (team player); 2009 Ryan Giggs (team player); 2005, Andrew Flintoff (team player), 2003, Jonny Wilkinson (team player)...

Add to that look at the way that Wiggins busted a gut to support Cav in the Olympics and in the final stage of the Tour. This ain't just a bloke who's taking from the team, he's contributing greatly to it as well.

Let's get this straight. If Wiggo doesn't win the sports personality of the year, it won't just be a bad decision; it won't just be the wrong decision; it would be a complete and utter travesty.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Stig said:

The team business is a complete red herring: 2011, Mark Cavendish (team player); 2009 Ryan Giggs (team player); 2005, Andrew Flintoff (team player), 2003, Jonny Wilkinson (team player)...

Add to that look at the way that Wiggins busted a gut to support Cav in the Olympics and in the final stage of the Tour. This ain't just a bloke who's taking from the team, he's contributing greatly to it as well.

Let's get this straight. If Wiggo doesn't win the sports personality of the year, it won't just be a bad decision; it won't just be the wrong decision; it would be a complete and utter travesty.

This, this and this. May I also add Wiggo won TDF due to his amazing performances in the time trials that gave him a huge barrier over the rest of the field. Yes his team helped hugely (Froome in the mountains) but if it wasn't for his individual performances in the time trails he wouldn't have been close to winning. Its the same with his gold medal in the Olympics which again was a time trial where its just him and the bike.
  • Options

Rothko said:

Wiggins is always assisted by a TEAM, his domestiques and French Maids .. mmmm .. undoubtedly a talented man and has had a great year ,but he is the star of a great TEAM
    So are you saying someone from a team cannot win SPOTY?

He also did quite well in the Olympic time trial which I'm fairly sure isn't team based.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Rothko said:

So are you saying someone from a team cannot win SPOTY?

He also did quite well in the Olympic time trial which I'm fairly sure isn't team based.
    what I am saying is .. IN MY OPINION, in the sports personality of the year, the award should be biased towards a solo performer .. BUT after all it is the SPOTY ... and NOT the SOLO SPOTY
  • Options
    So no-one in a team sport can win?
  • Options
    Wiggins for me as well although i think that murray will push him close, with farah and ennis not far behind.