Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are english teams really that great?

We all seem to think the EPL is the best league in the world etc etc... But is it really?

Are our teams really that great?

I think our teams are declining whilst the rest of Europe is improving.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Man U are great
    City arnt a team, just individuals
    Chelsea just need it to click, one of the top three attacking mid trio's in the world
    Arsenal are not a top team, they just buy nobodys

Madrid
    Barca
    Bayern
    Dortmund
    Man U

Probably the best teams. Man U just abou making that list, need to beef up there CMs/CBs
  • Options
    Man United have no world class players bar Van Persie. They just have a fantastic manager and coaching setup. And yes, by that I do mean that Rooney isn't world class.
  • Options
    Alarmed at how un-English teams are in the Premier league, however its raised the standard of play further down the leagues as British players filter down
  • Options
    All "english" teams are great. The fact that the English are the children of God makes is so.
  • Options

All "english" teams are great. The fact that the English are the children of God makes is so.

Arsenal?
  • Options
    we are talking about English teams
  • Options
    dizzee said:

We all seem to think the EPL is the best league in the world etc etc... But is it really?

We don't all think that. That is just what Sky and the rest of the mainstream media keep telling us.
    dizzee said:

Which explains why Barca Real Madrid Chelsea won the CL last time.

I think we overreact when we win and overreact when we lose.

• Options
    The EPL is exciting to watch .. (I watched the Real/Athletico game on the weekend, there was a foul/stoppage every 30 seconds) if technically behind other european leagues. BUT they are catching up in terms of physicality. We are not developing our technical skills as quickly. The FL has always been viewed thru rose coloured glasses by Englishmen .. English is best .. it aint so, one world cup won at home says it all. Liverpool and Forest during their eurocup winning exploits were teams with lots of Scots & Irish players. Ireland is still churning out a few good uns, Scotland ? ... not so many
  • Options

dizzee said:

We don't all think that. That is just what Sky and the rest of the mainstream media keep telling us.
    dizzee said:

Which explains why Barca Real Madrid Chelsea won the CL last time.

I think we overreact when we win and overreact when we lose.

I agree Henners.
  • Options
    TBH having any regard for Chelsea/Arsenal/Man C or U's exploits in the European competitions has as much to do with Englishness as admiring say Rolls Royce or any other long lost and sold off British institution. English football went global with the rest of the world. Not interested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cant understand what Man Citys problem is when it comes to europe.

They have the perfect style of play and players to be a consistent winning Champions league team.

It has to be a certain attitude or psychological thing in the dressing room.
  • Options
    MattD said:

Man U are great

Sorry, what?

Unless you have a coherent team ethic then you don't win the Premier League and have a 2 year unbeaten home record.

Pretty much their whole first team have been regulars in the starting line-up for 1-2 years and compliment each other very well. I personally find them very entertaining to watch.

When people talk about the EPL being the "best league in the world", it strikes me as a very vague term that many often get their wires crossed with. Does it refer to "the league with the best teams and players" or "the best league for excitement" or the "best league for competitiveness", the list goes on.

I don't think there is a single right or wrong answer for the "best league in the world", it can be interchangeable with two or three leagues based on what someone is looking for.

Just because a couple of English teams have been pretty drab in this years' Champions League, lets not lose sight of the fact that the 2012 Champions League was WON by an ENGLISH team! May have been bit of a fluke, miracle, whatever - doesn't really matter.

Personally, I don't recall any of the other major leagues producing a climax like the EPL did last season.

• Options
    I think it's certainly the best league for excitement and also unpredictability. The strength is amazing, it has the most depth. There is always more 'shock' results than other leagues.But I agree that Real, Barca and Bayern are a step up at the moment above Chelsea and the Manchester clubs. Juve and Dortmund are strong aswell.
  • Options
    The thing i dont understand from English teams in Europe, is the way our managers seem to rest players ahead of important PL games, and then wonder why they get beat.

Essentially, they play in the PL to get into Europe. So why when you get there, do you not field the strongest team?....Spanish/Italian/German teams dont do it.

Even in the Europa League Liverpool and Spurs do it. The scousers are doing it this season when its looking likely they wont qualify for Europe via the Premier League for a long time coming. They may as well make the most of it now!!
  • Options

The thing i dont understand from English teams in Europe, is the way our managers seem to rest players ahead of important PL games, and then wonder why they get beat.

Essentially, they play in the PL to get into Europe. So why when you get there, do you not field the strongest team?....Spanish/Italian/German teams dont do it.

Even in the Europa League Liverpool and Spurs do it. The scousers are doing it this season when its looking likely they wont qualify for Europe via the Premier League for a long time coming. They may as well make the most of it now!!

These big teams have so much strength in depth that the rotation of players should run smoothly.

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Cant understand what Man Citys problem is when it comes to europe.

The draw really didn't help them. If they'd been in MU's group they'd have cruised through. United may well have struggled to get through City's (though I'm sure they'd have made more of a fist of it).

• Options
    In addition I think City accumulated the best performance on paper of an eliminated team last season in the Champions League. Though they'll be disappointed, they've not exactly been handed any easy routes.
  • Options
    Spanish and Italian teams do better because they get better weather all year round imo.
  • Options
    I love watching the Premier League but this season I've got to say that on the whole this season so far its been pretty drab, United are pulling clear and don't look great at all.

It's missing the real superstars from a few years back......we we're in the Premier in the real purple period for the league IMO.

Scholes, Ronaldo, Thierry Henry, Beckham, Bergkamp, Defoe & Countless others were at the top of their game and we were witnessing it week in week out.

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

Spanish and Italian teams do better because they get better weather all year round imo.

Eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    cafctom said:

MattD said:

Man U are great

Sorry, what?

Unless you have a coherent team ethic then you don't win the Premier League and have a 2 year unbeaten home record.

Pretty much their whole first team have been regulars in the starting line-up for 1-2 years and compliment each other very well. I personally find them very entertaining to watch.
    I dont think the players compliment each other particularly well. Nowhere near the way a team like Barcelona do. I just think the individual talent the City players have is so good that however you ask them to play, they are going to do relatively well. Quite a few of them are given a lot of creative freedom anyway.
    Lots of options in there style of play, not all of them pull together though.

They are all exciting transfers, good headlines..
    Until this years lot, no-one world class has come in and they havnt appeared to add much to the team.
  • Options
    i remember when Serie A was arguably the best league in the world, then i think the prem was the best but now i think serie A, La Liga and the prem are all about even I'd say
  • Options
    Really dont like Serie A myself, probably because I dont really trust the results that much. Juventus have a decent team mind.
    The Bundesliga has had a few good success storys recently.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I love watching the Premier League but this season I've got to say that on the whole this season so far its been pretty drab, United are pulling clear and don't look great at all.

It's missing the real superstars from a few years back......we we're in the Premier in the real purple period for the league IMO.

Scholes, Ronaldo, Thierry Henry, Beckham, Bergkamp, Defoe & Countless others were at the top of their game and we were witnessing it week in week out.

Too right , also , think Premiership defenders and Vincent Kompany and perhaps a fully fit Vidic , and there are very few at the moment who are world class , i think the standard of defending is very poor in the Premier league.

• Options
    The EPL "best in the world" branding by sky, really is nonsense we have good teams but so many people seem to confuse faster which can be more exciting, to mean the best standard of football, which we don't have on or off the pitch for fans.

• Options
    MattD said:

cafctom said:

MattD said:

Man U are great

Sorry, what?

I dont think the players compliment each other particularly well. Nowhere near the way a team like Barcelona do. I just think the individual talent the City players have is so good that however you ask them to play, they are going to do relatively well. Quite a few of them are given a lot of creative freedom anyway.
    Lots of options in there style of play, not all of them pull together though.

They are all exciting transfers, good headlines..
    Until this years lot, no-one world class has come in and they havnt appeared to add much to the team.

Well if you look at the "individuals" in their team, many of them hadn't won a national division in their career until joining City.

They smashed United 6-1 at Old Trafford last season. Individual skill alone won't allow you to get anything at their place, let alone a scoreline like that.