Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Haka

Should it be performed by the non indiginous members of the NZ team?. I would rather only the Maoris perfomed it.

Comments

• Options
    does that mean that white men can't do the watutsi ?
  • Options
    Are the red division allowed to do the haka against Milwall or would it cause problems for the rest of us?
  • Options
    the red division do the haka & the blue division do the can can followed by a joint rendition of the hokey cokey
  • Options

Should it be performed by the non indiginous members of the NZ team?. I would rather only the Maoris perfomed it.

It is performed by all ethnicity in New Zealand at all levels and its up to them.

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Are the red division allowed to do the haka against Milwall or would it cause problems for the rest of us?

arghhhhhhhhhh! he said the M word.

• Options
    seriously, the haka has fallen into disrepute. It's laughed at by many and on saturday the singing of that bloody awful song, sweet chariot, drowned out the vocal aspect of the haka. When Samoa play Fiji we get 2 hakas, 2 too many. The haka has had it's day at international rugby matches and should be put to bed
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

It is performed by all ethnicity in New Zealand at all levels and its up to them.

Exactly, plus many of the seemingly 'Anglo' members of the team actually have Maori/Islander heritage too, players like Christian Cullen etc.

The Haka is an extraordinary thing to see live and should be respected, its them putting down a challenge and you have to meet it head on.

The Haka that the guys from the NZ Army performed for their fallen comrades in Afghanistan was spine-chillingly brilliant, a genuine mark of respect to the fallen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM
  • Options

does that mean that white men can't do the watutsi ?

Except Adam West.
  • Options
    On a serious note, that clip is incredible. The silence that follows just seems so unreal. Very moving.

On a light hearted note, don't be surprised to see the Palace Ultras learning something similar soon...
  • Options
    I must admit, white rugby players doing a Maori war dance is more impressive than a bunch of upper middle class chinless wonders braying a black spiritual song. Not that im stereotyping all rugby fans...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

On a serious note, that clip is incredible. The silence that follows just seems so unreal. Very moving.

On a light hearted note, don't be surprised to see the Palace Ultras learning something similar soon...

They already do something similar before home games. It involves chucking a load of big roll about and holding up pictures of eagles.
  • Options

the singing of that bloody awful song, sweet chariot....

What would you prefer ?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I think that unless you're a New Zealander you don't have the right to an opinion who performs it or where. It's for them to debate and decide.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

I think that unless you're a New Zealander you don't have the right to an opinion who performs it or where. It's for them to debate and decide.

People are entitled to their opinions though.
  • Options
    I have to say, I saw the NZ Womens football team do it at Coventry during the Olympics and found it strangely arousing
  • Options
    The bit they do at the end, sticking their tongues out and waving it around, undermines the whole thing for me in the intimidation stakes!
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Don't agree. Not always and certainly not in a matter like this.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

It's a free country sir. Free speech and all that.
  • Options
    Great clip, really moving.

Yes the whole team should do it, it is laying down the challenge to the opposition. Hate it when the other team ignores it or goes into a huddle.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

It's a free country sir. Free speech and all that.
    (Ignoring the fact there are laws that say otherwise :-) ) That's a different matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yes the whole team should do it, it is laying down the challenge to the opposition. Hate it when the other team ignores it or goes into a huddle.

I loved seeing the Irish march up together as one at Landsdowne Road a few years ago, it was absolutely spell binding - the AB's still thumped them though!
  • Options
    The Haka is one of my favourite sporting traditions. Hate hearing chinless toffee nosed ponces drowning it out at Twickers. Proud tradition, proud people, and though it glosses over some pretty shocking treatment of the Maori people, at least it's an inclusive tradition, and celebrates the true heritage of their people. Plus, it's absolutely fucking awesome to watch Piri Weepu leading it.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

of course i have a right to an opinion.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What should the other team do then MOL? Maybe the Irish should do a bit of Riverdance, the scots a reel, bit of Morris dancing from the English, a tango by the Pumas, the Saffers could re-create that bit in Zulu... No. They want to intimidate the opposition, it is well within the rights of the other team to ignore them and show their disdain. I love to see the Haka myself.
  • Options
    i think England should play in pink only let ex miners play and wave the Guardian at em.
  • Options
    The new Haka is rubbish, the old Ka-Mate one was more intimidating - best ever response was Richard Cockeril's at Old Trafford in '97.
  • Options
    EGAddick said:

The new Haka is rubbish, the old Ka-Mate one was more intimidating - best ever response was Richard Cockeril's at Old Trafford in '97.

Do you think he was brave or stupid? The All Blacks battered him for it either way!
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

What should the other team do then MOL? Maybe the Irish should do a bit of Riverdance, the scots a reel, bit of Morris dancing from the English, a tango by the Pumas, the Saffers could re-create that bit in Zulu... No. They want to intimidate the opposition, it is well within the rights of the other team to ignore them and show their disdain. I love to see the Haka myself.
    I would just like the opposition to stand there, front it out and accept the challenge.
    I dont think anyone is 'intimidated' by it, but it is nice tradition. No need for every country to have a 'thing' to do before each game.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

They don't need to show 'distain' the thing they need to show is 'defiance' - best exemplified by Sebastian Chabal in the WCQF in 2007 against the AB's.