Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Frimpong chooses to play for Ghana instead of England

edited November 2012 in General Charlton
This makes sense as to why he is only loaned until 1 January 2013.

Why would we want to pay his wages whilst he is at the Africa Cup of Nations?

It also explains why he was desperate to get match fit before Xmas.

It seems that this arrangement will benefit everyone we get a better quality player than we would normally have until the loan window and he gets match fit to play in a vital tournament.

Similar scenario to the legendary Jorge Costa who basically came on loan to us so that he could play for Portugal in the World Cup

Report from BBC

Midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong will be available for Ghana at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations after his nationality switch was ratified by world football governing body Fifa.
The 20-year old, who is on loan at Charlton from Arsenal, represented England at U-16 and U-17 levels.
But he has been given the go ahead to play for the country of his birth by Fifa after the Scottish FA submitted a letter confirming that Frimpong, who holds dual Ghanaian and British citizenship, has not played for them at competitive level last week.
Frimpong can now be picked for Ghana's 2013 Africa Cup of Nations campaign in South Africa next year.
It also formalizes an ambition for Frimpong that stretches back to two years ago when he declared "I have always said that, no matter what, I will always play for Ghana because I believe I am a Ghanaian".
He added: "England has done a lot for me and my family but at the end of the day I can't see myself playing for England because I am not English - I am from Ghana", he added.
However, Frimpong faces a tough task to force his way into Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah's squad as Ghana's midfield is thought to contain their best players.
Frimpong will be up against the hugely experienced duo of Anthony Annan and Derek Boateng for a place in central midfield as well the promising France-based Rabui Mohammed and Parma's Afriyie Acquah.
He becomes the fifth player after goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey, Quincy Owusu Abeyie and Kevin-Prince Boateng to take advantage of Fifa's rule change of nationality and switch to Ghana after representing an European country at youth level.

Comments

• We've had a few Ghana internationals play for the first team now, haven't we?
  • Good luck to him, only dissapointment is that i hoped we would get him for the rest of the season.
  • We can still get him for the rest of the season, he'll just be away for a month.
  • What's wrong with the BBC, first mixing up Charlton with Palace and in this article apparently mixing up the English FA with the Scottish !
  • Have I missed something here ? .. the article mentions Ghana's strong midfield but no mention of probably their best midfielder, Michael Essien. Where is the BBC, normally or historically so accurate, finding these hopeless 'reporters' ? .. is it due to cutbacks and reliance on non BBC news and information sources.
  • Have I missed something here ? .. the article mentions Ghana's strong midfield but no mention of probably their best midfielder, Michael Essien. Where is the BBC, normally or historically so accurate, finding these hopeless 'reporters' ? .. is it due to cutbacks and reliance on non BBC news and information sources.

Currently not available for selection as his own choice to manage his injuries, well that is what i last heard anyway.

Currently not available for selection as his own choice to manage his injuries, well that is what i last heard anyway.
    that explains it .. my apologies to Auntie

Its all Jimmy Saville's fault
  • Dizzle said:

Have I missed something here ? .. the article mentions Ghana's strong midfield but no mention of probably their best midfielder, Michael Essien. Where is the BBC, normally or historically so accurate, finding these hopeless 'reporters' ? .. is it due to cutbacks and reliance on non BBC news and information sources.

Its all Jimmy Saville's fault
    now then young man now then
  • I came to the same conclusion and posted just that on the 'Frimpong signs on Loan' thread 10 days ago.

Doesn't anyone read my posts???

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

What's wrong with the BBC, first mixing up Charlton with Palace and in this article apparently mixing up the English FA with the Scottish !

He was eligible for all the home nations, so probably Scotland were the last ones to send the letter to FIFA

• yes but Ghana still have to pick him for their squad, if they don't .........?
  • Oggy Red said:

I came to the same conclusion and posted just that on the 'Frimpong signs on Loan' thread 10 days ago.

;o)

Swerve 'em to be honest Oggy ;o)
  • edited November 2012
    At least he can come back to us to join our relegation battle / mid table obscurity promotion push.
  • Oggy Red said:

I came to the same conclusion and posted just that on the 'Frimpong signs on Loan' thread 10 days ago.

;o)

Well done for predicting this Oggy,the reason I started a new thread was that FIFA only gave Frimpong permission to make this change today.
  • Twas in jest, Richard. Hence the smiley winky thing.

I don't take myself that seriously!

;o)

• Has anyone seen any posts from @Oggy Red lately?
  • Oggy who gilbert
  • edited November 2012
    "There's someone in my head, but it's not me".

;o)
  • anyone hear that

no thought not

toodles for now