Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derelict London

Thought some might like this excellent website - the section on sports grounds is interesting - even if Millwall is covered first. The feature on toilets is funny, look who is mentioned first!!

http://www.derelictlondon.com

Comments

• Some lovely old houses on there, sadly neglected over many years..........
  • I enjoyed looking and reading that cheers for posting
  • If things turned out different 20 years ago, there could be plenty of pics of a derilect Valley on there, although I'm sure it would've been long gone and built upon by now if we hadn't returned
  • Interesting site. Pity there's no reference to Seimen's Meadow, Woolwich Common or Pound Park. Perhaps they'll get around to it one day.

Was particularly struck that Shervington's Tobacco shop in Holborn had gone. I used to walk past it every day and it always seemed timeless. I couldn't imagine it going even though it seemed so out of step with the modern world.
  • Stig said:

Interesting site. Pity there's no reference to Seimen's Meadow, Woolwich Common or Pound Park. Perhaps they'll get around to it one day.

Was particularly struck that Shervington's Tobacco shop in Holborn had gone. I used to walk past it every day and it always seemed timeless. I couldn't imagine it going even though it seemed so out of step with the modern world.

I asked the chap who runs the site if he would cover the old CAFC locations...

• Valuable site.
    The stuff on Woolwich and the Co-op was interesting, as well as the pubs and other sites. Good find
  • Brilliant
  • Great stuff, sad how many of the old pubs I knew.
  • The bit I especially liked is just before the photo section where it says ;
    "A plague on the site remembers the Den......." a bit of a Freudian slip perhaps?.
  • great site

Been looking at updates on this site for a few years now
  • Sponsored links:

• cant believe Fisher's old ground looks like that
  • Brought back some old memories..........many thanks for that !
  • the guy running the site has said he will cover the Charlton sites

"yes will be covering Charlton at some point - just need to pinpoint what is now on the site of Siemens Meadow/Field! Will cover the others too plus the temp move to Catford!"

Anyone help with the Siemens Meadow/Field info?
  • Oakster said:

Anyone help with the Siemens Meadow/Field info?

Near Thames Barrier on the Westminster Industrial Estate

• Possibly near Lewis Travel - Westmoor Street
  • If you like that site you may also appreciate http://www.retronaut.com/ - Old photos from around the world.
  • edited December 2012
    Updated today with Charlton's former homes.....

http://www.derelictlondon.com/londons-long-lost-sports-grounds.html

Excellent stuff, wirth following on Facebook too...
  • Great site and there is a very good book that goes with it
  • edited December 2012
    stonemuse said:

Great site and there is a very good book that goes with it

I asked the guy running the site to do a feature on Charlton a few weeks ago - amazed that he has done it so quickly & so well...
  • Sponsored links:

• That's a brilliant piece of work.
  • Great stuff, the older I become the more I am looking back at all this sort of thing. I took a pic of the Floyd Road SE7 sign yesterday and it is now my current screensaver. Sad, I sure am.
  • Derelict London...thought it was a thread about Selhurst Park!
  • Loads about Selhurst on here soapy www.derelictnorthsurrey.com
  • Excellent website.
  • Loved the mention of Charlton Dog Track worked there as a teenager in the mid sixties to boost up my apprentice wages, at Harveys on the Woolwich Road.

The Woolwich Road area was full of big employers those days, Harveys, Johnson & Phillips, Sykes Stones Foundries and Siemens. Happy days!
  • edited December 2012

Loved the mention of Charlton Dog Track worked there as a teenager in the mid sixties to boost up my apprentice wages, at Harveys on the Woolwich Road.

The Woolwich Road area was full of big employers those days, Harveys, Johnson & Phillips, Sykes Stones Foundries and Siemens. Happy days!

British Ropes - Bridon Sports?
  • edited December 2012

Loved the mention of Charlton Dog Track worked there as a teenager in the mid sixties to boost up my apprentice wages, at Harveys on the Woolwich Road.

My grandfather was manager at the dog track at one time.

As the chap says on the site there is little or no documentation about it though which is a shame as I'd like to find out more about his time there.
  • Here's a pic of the Dog Track from the Britain from above website

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw011774