Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hector Comacho pronounced brain dead

This one is really sad. I have so many great memories of his fights, especially the sugar ray Leonard one (and his shorts/skirt)
Puerto Rican former boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho is clinically brain dead after being shot in the head on Tuesday, doctors say.

He was in a deep coma and unresponsive, the director of the hospital treating him, Dr Ernesto Torres, told reporters.

Relatives are expected to decide whether to remove the three-time world champion from life support.

Camacho suffered a heart attack after being wounded in a drive-by shooting outside the capital, San Juan.

"We have done all we can do," Dr Torres said, adding that brain studies had shown irregular and intermittent activity.

The bullet "damaged three arteries that run through the neck and as a result blood is not flowing well" to Camacho's brain, he added.

Camacho, 50, was sitting in a car outside a bar on Tuesday with a friend when it was fired on.

His friend, Adrian Mojica Moreno, was killed in the attack. Police say they do not know of any motives for the shooting.

Camacho fought some of the great names of boxing - Oscar de la Hoya, Sugar Ray Leonard and Felix Trinidad.

But in recent years he was convicted of burglary, found in possession of drugs and the subject of domestic abuse complaints from his former wife.

He continued to box, losing a fight to Saul Duran in May 2010, and had been discussing another bout next year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRFtbWyBHM

Comments

• Unfortunately a typical story of Latin/South American retired boxers. They live in a very violent part of the world. Most are uneducated slumboys and on retirement are cast off by their former managers and have no-one to rely on except criminal 'friends'.
    Misfortune is not confined to 'overseas boxers' however. Barry McGuigan recently did a Radio5Live documentary on retired UK boxers. If it is still available on iPlayer, it's well worth a listen
  • Sad indeed. Life is cheap out there......
  • Terrible news, was just in Puerto Rico the other day - he's a big hero inPR
  • The original showman in my opinion was the first I can remember with the fancy entrance and the props to go with the show

Certainly could bang and bring the a game when required

I dread the news that will follow but it certainly seems that his fighting is not going to last as long as my memories of him

Let's hope espn or box nation put up a highlight reel