Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 10th March 1987 Full Members Cup Semi Final

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Full Members Cup Semi-Final. Tuesday 10th March 1987. Selhurst Park. Att 5,431

Charlton Athletic 2 (0) (Walsh 90, Butterworth og 93) Norwich City 1 (0) (Rosario 89) *After Extra Time 90 mins 1-1

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Peake, Thompson, Miller, Curbishley, Lee, Melrose, Shipley, Walsh. Unused subs: Stuart, Leaburn.

Norwich: Gunn, Brown (Elliott 106), Spearing, Bruce, Phelan, (Biggins 78), Butterworth, Crook, Drinkell, Rosario, Putney, Gordon.

Referee: M Bodenham (Brighton)

All appeared to be lost when Rosario scored his 89th minute goal but Charlton scored in the first minute of stoppage time through Walsh. Humphrey's cross was then deflected past his own goalkeeper by Butterworth in extra time to secure an unlikely win and a Wembley final with Blackburn Rovers just 19 days later.

Comments

• Options
    was just walkin up the arfur wait steps as we equalised,remeber goin to Leicester the following Saturday singin Wembley and gettin pelted by Baby Squad
  • Options
    cor blimey that brings back memories
  • Options
    Seem to remember the actual game was pretty pants apart from the frantic ending. Another woeful selhurst attendance even for a semi final for a cup competition as crap as that. Looking at that Charlton team, how many of those players were proper 100%'ers, plenty of effort on show.
  • Options
    "All appeared to be lost when Rosario scored his 89th minute goal but Charlton scored in the first minute of stoppage time through Walsh."

It just goes to show, that you should never give up - even when it seems too late.
  • Options
    Funnilly enough, this is one of my favourite Shithurst memories.

I was only a slip of a lad back then (just into my teens) but I remember it vividly. I went nuts when Walshie scored - if I remember correctly, it was from about 25 yards - one of his regulay shots from distance that seemed to get to waist height and just crash into the corner of the net. Fuck me he could hit a ball that fella.

I remember my joy at going to 'Wemberlee' being tempered by all the kids at school the next day telling me that the competition was toss anyway and none of 'their (Liverpool, ManYoo, Tottingham) teams were even bothered by it. Funny how none of the armchair supporters back then followed Arsenal - might have had something to do with how shite they were.
  • Options
    Yeah, this was a great night and remember going ape when Walshie equalised in injury time.

Just one thing though, I have been trying to remember Walshie's goal but can't seem to find it in the memory banks, I know it was in front of the Holmesdale End. Was it a free-kick just outside the box? Or was it a low shot into the bottom corner? I just can't picture it all these years later.

I do remember the winner came from Johnny Humphrey breaking down the right in injury time and crossing it low where the hapless Ian Butterworth stuck a long leg out and turned it past Brynn Gunn.

Then there was that great day at Wembley for the final........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]was just walkin up the arfur wait steps as we equalised,remeber goin to Leicester the following Saturday singin Wembley and gettin pelted by Baby Squad
    i was doing the same , trying to make my way back early to the bus stop for the no.75
    but i shall never forget the pathetic turn out of support at wembley ... i mean to be out numbered by blackburn 2 to 1 ish is a joke no matter whether we were playing at selhurst park or not
  • Options
    That ref, Bodenham.

Hated him.
  • Options
    funny enough I was going through a few things in my garage the other day and came across the flag that I brought at wembley that day! lol it is now hanging on the garage wall!
  • Options
    any newbies remember this one?

A bumper crowd for a cup semi-final!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed this ... but being a glory hunter I was at wembley ;-) ... Completely outnumbered by Blackburn
  • Options
    I went to Wembley but remember nothing of the day at all really. Really pissed.
  • Options
    Was on the Sainsburys terrace. Went to every round (including Everton) and was beyond gutted when Rosario scored.

Strange how you retain memories, I can still see Johnny H putting over the cross that Butterworth stuck in his own net.
  • Options
    The crowd was small but (cough) about seven times the turnout for the first couple of rounds- even I drew the line at those games. Think the numbers were 824 and 817, Lennie Lawrence asked what he'd said to upset the seven people who blew out the second game.

We gave a goal away in the last minute, think Miller cocked up a back pass. We were still ranting at him when Walshie equalised. The extra time was Johnny H vs Steve Bruce, everyone else looked seized up in comparison.
  • Options
    A few more at this one.
  • Options

Posted By: northstandsteve
    was just walkin up the arfur wait steps as we equalised,remeber goin to Leicester the following Saturday singin Wembley and gettin pelted by Baby Squad
    i was doing the same , trying to make my way back early to the bus stop for the no.75
    but i shall never forget the pathetic turn out of support at wembley ... i mean to be out numbered by blackburn 2 to 1 ish is a joke no matter whether we were playing at selhurst park or not

six years on and OohAah is still moaning about travelling support.

Remember singing "you thought you had won, so did we, so did we" to the Norwich fans.
  • Options
    if i remember rightly, the game was awful up until the goals went in.

thought we'd lost it, then the equaliser and goin mental and then goin mental again not long afterwards. small crowd but very animated and seemed really noisy when the goals went in (probably wasn't though).

"When Steve goes up to get the Members Cup, we'll be there, we'll be there"

sadly, he didn't.
  • Options

That ref, Bodenham.

Hated him.

He is now a first class Cricket Umpire:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/229251.html

• Options

Was on the Sainsburys terrace. Went to every round (including Everton) and was beyond gutted when Rosario scored.

Strange how you retain memories, I can still see Johnny H putting over the cross that Butterworth stuck in his own net.

Did we not go together mate and me mum drop you of home afterwards
  • Options
    Anyone going to own up to leaving when Norwich scored in the 89th minute?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fatrob said:

Did we not go together mate and me mum drop you of home afterwards
    I think you might be right!