Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Save Lewisham A&E

Comments

• Options
    SaveLewishamA&E ‏@SaveLewishamAE
    Don't miss @BBCQuestionTime, 23:05 tonight, live from Lewisham :-) https://www.facebook.com/events/124525711046216/
  • Options
    @SaveLewishamAE Tonight's #bbcqt panel: Ed Davey, John Bird, John Prescott, Nadine Dorries, Camilla Cavendish - no Kershaw or Jeremy Hunt
  • Options
    Question Time is on at 10.35 (22:35) not as stated above.
  • Options
    the thing is even ifthis is shut down the PFI contracts are still there and still driaining huge amounts of cash out of the PCTs.

No one seems to have th gonads to take the issue of PFI on.
  • Options

the thing is even ifthis is shut down the PFI contracts are still there and still driaining huge amounts of cash out of the PCTs.

No one seems to have th gonads to take the issue of PFI on.

Those responsible for signing the PFI contracts should be sacked for gross negligence. They should also be sued personally for any injury or death caused by the bankruptcy of the NHS Trusts resulting from the ridiculous burdens imposed by those contracts.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    many who signed are sitting in high places within Government and the Opposition benches.
    Why is there no huge out cry?its becuase they all know the shit would go far and wide.

---Penalty clauses for late payments
    ---Huge penalty clauses for opting out early (might well call it the Pardew Clause) ---10z and 10z of millions of pounds per contract.
    ---Massive mark ups on "project works".

its Wonga .Com for varous Governments with the NHS---Education--LAs etc picking up the bill--------------well the tax payer of course.

Why do you think the Special Administrator says the is no option ?
  • Options
    Good old Lewisham hospital has been trucking along doing OK living within it's limited means, but now faces devastation to pay for the losses in the health trusts cemented in Tory voting areas.
    I suppose that's what Cameron means by 'we're all in this together'.
  • Options
    oooooooooooooo please Seth --------its those bastard Tories ? where were your moral Labour party who put f++k knows how many PFIs in place? Where are they now ? why not slagging off those PFIs ? they cant as they were instrumental in this utter and total disgrace ------ it gives the mega Companies huge amounts of money.

As for the "map" re Tory areas nor affected------------tosh. The Memorial---Royal Herbert---The Brooke all closed all with in a mile of the QE2 hospital all in your "Tory area".

Today reading a contract bid the Company (one of the usual PFIs) uses an example of a huge PFI in the West of England which still has 27 years of its contract to run -------27 years !!! try buying that out !

Good luck to those fighting for Lewisham Hospital ----------but i fear this is the tip of a huge ice berg and no one will tackle the issue.
  • Options
    GH. Good post, not a lot to disagree with there, and because I mentioned the Tory areas (which I believe to be true) don't assume my anger is from a Labour perspective.
    However if the mess is a result (like the banking crisis?) of a mega failure in part of capitalism, I would bet that those running the failing trusts are capitalists of the first order who feel more cosy in bed with the Tories than with Labour.
    Lewisham is my nearest Hospital, and fundamental in any justification to take any taxes from my community, I don't mind paying towards such a vital service.
    It is up close and personal this, finding who to blame in the past is less likely to effect any change in position compared to putting some kind of (moral) pressure on the Tories who currently have the power.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Question Time is on at 10.35 (22:35) not as stated above.

What are you two playing at here? Any decent bloke knows its twenty five to Eleven...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This week alone, Darent Valley has been so busy it closed to Ambulances for 6 hours and also had crews waiting for several hours to hand over patients. The PRU has been bursting at its seems as has the QE. It will only get worse!!
  • Options
    have had to have blood tests at QE2 twice in last year -- number 66 at 8.30 in the morning spent an hour being the translator !! 2nd time got there later gave up and went to work.

what the A+E and other services are going to be like ?????????? the most basic example of how this so called credit crunch should be measured in peoples lives.
  • Options
    Just back from the demo at Goldsmiths.
    Poor turn out and too political. This is an issue which crosses political divides.
    Not sure if it will be covered.
    Next demo I think is the 26th Jan in Lewisham.

Save the A&E.
  • Options
    It got a decent local airing on Question Time last night, there is still some hope.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It got a decent local airing on Question Time last night, there is still some hope.

I was hoping it would have been the first question instead of the 1% issue.

• Options
    I was hoping it would have been the first question instead of the 1% issue.

"Lewisham Hospital closure dominates BBC Question Time from Goldsmiths" - Headline from News Shopper online. Not on the version I watched, it didn't.
  • Options
    Big March on 26th January, I hope the Massives win the cup replay,
  • Options
    Setting off on big red bus round Greenwich-Bexley-Bromley-Lewisham publicising #LewishamDemo26Jan! Give us a wave! http://bit.ly/demo26Jan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SaveLewishamAE @Qprmick: Jeremy Hunt says defeating bid to shut the Royal Surrey A&E was his proudest political achievement!
  • Options
    This is going to be an absolute disaster for the area. They've already had to close the Darent Valley A&E because of overcrowding as people from the Bexley area have been going there since they closed Queen Marys. A colleague of mine had the misfortune to take her son to the QE last week because he'd dislocated his shoulder. He had to wait for hours to be seen because there were so many people using the facility as doctors surgery as they're not registered with a local practice.
  • Options
    Politicians from both major parties are responsible for the PFI fiasco which has basically amounted to the NHS borrowing money at the type of rates Wonga might change. There are so many incompetent fools involved and the proposed solutions are laughable.

We are run by idiots who don't give a f*** and are gutless. Tear up the contracts .....
  • Options

This is going to be an absolute disaster for the area. They've already had to close the Darent Valley A&E because of overcrowding as people from the Bexley area have been going there since they closed Queen Marys. A colleague of mine had the misfortune to take her son to the QE last week because he'd dislocated his shoulder. He had to wait for hours to be seen because there were so many people using the facility as doctors surgery as they're not registered with a local practice.

Went to darent valley a & e the other day? Is it closed certain times or fully? That would suck if its closed fully.
  • Options
    Agree that at the heart of all this is the ridiculous PFI schemes. If govt can borrow at 1-2%, why is it paying so much more for PFI? Why not nationalise them?

I will be on part of the demo on the 26th (maybe all) but I do worry that the campaign has no plan B beyond trying to persuade the govt that they are being unreasonable. On an issue like this there should be civil disobedience to back up the gentle persuasion.
  • Options

Went to darent valley a & e the other day? Is it closed certain times or fully? That would suck if its closed fully.
    It closed for about six hours because they couldn't cope with the volume of people
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2013

Politicians from both major parties are responsible for the PFI fiasco which has basically amounted to the NHS borrowing money at the type of rates Wonga might change. There are so many incompetent fools involved and the proposed solutions are laughable.

We are run by idiots who don't give a f*** and are gutless. Tear up the contracts .....

This.

Good to see the leafleting outside the ground yesterday.

Regarding the PFI contracts. Also look at the maintainence rates. Renegotiate the cost to competive rates / or expose the companies for profitering.
  • Options
    vff said:

This.

Good to see the leafleting outside the ground yesterday.

Regarding the PFI contracts. Also look at the maintainence rates. Renegotiate the cost to competive rates / or expose the companies for profitering.
    Agree with both of these. From what I have read, the contracts are watertight though. These private finance companies have tied the Trusts up for years to come with the various maintainence and service contracts tied into the original deals.

The Government (whichever one is in power over the next 30 years) must use its' huge bargaining/purchasing power for all NHS requirements. PFI is going to cost us £250BN over the next 30 years and even a 5% reduction in costs will free up £1.5BN to relieve some of the pressure the Trusts are under.
  • Options

Received this by e-mail

Dear Sir/Madam
    Thank you again for signing the petition to save Lewisham Hospital’s A&E and maternity department, which I presented to No. 10 just before Christmas. Over 35,000 people have now signed the petition, and together we are sending a loud and clear message that we strongly oppose the plans for closure.
    Despite this, we learnt this week that the Special Administrator appointed to the South London Healthcare Trust has formally recommended to Government that both A&E and maternity services at Lewisham should close. He proposes to replace them with an urgent care centre and a midwife-led birthing unit.
    Many people – including me - feel badly let down by the so-called consultation process that has taken place. It is sheer madness to be shutting down services at a solvent, successful hospital in order to deal with financial problems elsewhere. I am also extremely concerned about the inadequate services that will be left for South East London - just this week the two closest maternity units, at Queen Elizabeth, Woolwich and Kings, had to turn away pregnant women in labour as they were at capacity.
    But this is not a done deal, and together we must keep up the fight.
    The Health Secretary is currently considering these proposals, and will be announcing his decision on 1st February. Along with my parliamentary colleagues Dame Joan Ruddock and Jim Dowd, I will be doing all that I can to convince the Health Secretary of the case against these proposals. But we need your help.
    Between now and 1st February, please do all that you can to help the campaign. If you have 5 minutes or 5 days, there are lots of ways you can get involved. At the bottom of this email, there are specific contacts and things you can do to help – for example, leafleting, making placards or being a steward at campaign events.
    If you can only spare a little time, please do the following:
    1. Protest against the proposals. The Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign have organised a second peaceful demonstration on Saturday 26th January. Assemble at Lewisham Roundabout (by the station) at 12, before we march past the hospital to Mountsfield Park for a rally, music and giant petition. I will be speaking at the rally.

2. Let the Secretary of State know what you think by sending your views directly to him. Email Jeremy Hunt on mb-sofs@dh.gsi.gov.uk or write to him at Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP, Secretary of State for Health, Department for Health, Richmond House, 79 Whitehall, London SW1A 2NS

3. Forward this email on to your friends. Spread the word about the campaign! This does not only affect the people of Lewisham, and Mr Hunt needs to know that people across South East London are not prepared to accept these recommendations and have their services and their safety compromised.

The campaign to Save Lewisham Hospital is far from over. We must be prepared to step up and make our voices heard. I hope we can count upon your support.
    Best wishes
    Heidi Alexander MP
    Labour MP for Lewisham East
    www.heidialexander.org.uk
    twitter: @heidi_mp
    WE NEED TO MARCH AGAIN!
    Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign update from Dr Louise Irvine (Campaign Chair)
    www.savelewishamhospital.com

We have organised another demonstration on Saturday 26th January. The TSA Matthew Kershaw handed in his report to Jeremy Hunt which shows that he has not listened at all to the views of Lewisham people, local GPs, hospital doctors and health workers, the Council and Churches.
    The decision on the future of Lewisham A&E and maternity is due at the start of February. We must keep up the pressure.

10,000 people marched through Lewisham on 24th November 2012 – young, elderly, families and people from every background. WE NEED A HUGE TURNOUT. We need to GET YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW to come and march with us on Saturday 26th January:

The demo will assemble at Lewisham Roundabout (by the station) at 12 noon on Saturday 26th January. We will march past our hospital to Mountsfield Park where there will be a rally, music and a giant petition. You can see further information and download the leaflet from http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/demonstration-26th-january/

We need a lot of help in the build up to the demo and on the day. See below for a list of ways you can get involved.

*STEWARDING We have an urgent need for people to volunteer as stewards for the demo– contact Helen at GrgHallam@aol.com

* SHOPPING CENTRE STALLS AND LEAFLETING – contact Barbara at Barbara_veale@hotmail.co.uk
    Saturday 12th January and Saturday 19th January:
    Lewisham Riverdale Centre, main entrance 10am – 4pm
    Catford Shopping Centre (under the cat) 11am – 3 pm
    Deptford High St 10am onwards

* BIG RED BUS – this is going round LEWISHAM AND SOUTH LONDON BOROUGHS we need people to travel on the bus and give out leaflets etc. If you want to help on the bus meet at 9:30am Saturday 12 January or Saturday 19 January Elmira Street, Cornmill Gardens by the old Lewisham Bridge School.

* LEAFLETING AT FOOTBALL MATCHES - contact Pat at pat.sikorski@yahoo.co.uk
    This Saturday 12th help leaflet Charlton Football Match, The Valley Club, meet outside club shop, Floyd Rd, SE7 8BL at 1.30pm. (next week, Saturday 19th Millwall– details available from Pat)

* IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEAFLET YOUR STREET – contact Simone at bluelibran@hotmail.co.uk
    Leaflets for you to distribute locally on your street, schools, and localities can be collected from the The Saville Day Centre (the pensioners forum office), 436 Lewisham High Street, London SE13 6LJ

* ASK YOUR GP PRACTICE to take fliers and posters – contact Louise at louise.irvine@runbox.com
    * MAKING PLACARDS – contact Carolyn at c.emanuel@hotmail.co.uk
    * HELPING WITH THE RALLY/EVENT after the march – contact Jill at jillmountford@rocketmail.com and Simone at bluelibran@hotmail.co.uk

COMMUNITY CONTACTS
    If you have contacts with specific groups in the community please contact the following people
    * PENSIONERS – contact Tamsin at lpforum@btconnect.com
    * SCHOOLS – contact Jill at jillmountford@rocketmail.com
    * CHURCHES – contact Gillian at gillianlewis@ntlworld.com

OR you can email us directly at savelewishamhospital@yahoo.com or fill out the form on our ‘How you can help’ page

We look forward to seeing you on 26th January but hopefully before.

* JOIN the Facebook event – INVITE your friends and SHARE the event page! And ‘like’ the official campaign Facebook
    * Tweet about the event - Come to the@SaveLewishamAE Demo through Lewisham and Catford on Saturday 26th January! http://on.fb.me/Z4jpRI #LewishamDemo26Jan
    * If write your own blog or any other ways you can help promote the Demo or the campaign, please get in touch.

Received this by e-mail

Dear Sir/Madam
    Thank you again for signing the petition to save Lewisham Hospital’s A&E and maternity department, which I presented to No. 10 just before Christmas. Over 35,000 people have now signed the petition, and together we are sending a loud and clear message that we strongly oppose the plans for closure.
    Despite this, we learnt this week that the Special Administrator appointed to the South London Healthcare Trust has formally recommended to Government that both A&E and maternity services at Lewisham should close. He proposes to replace them with an urgent care centre and a midwife-led birthing unit.
    Many people – including me - feel badly let down by the so-called consultation process that has taken place. It is sheer madness to be shutting down services at a solvent, successful hospital in order to deal with financial problems elsewhere. I am also extremely concerned about the inadequate services that will be left for South East London - just this week the two closest maternity units, at Queen Elizabeth, Woolwich and Kings, had to turn away pregnant women in labour as they were at capacity.
    But this is not a done deal, and together we must keep up the fight.
    The Health Secretary is currently considering these proposals, and will be announcing his decision on 1st February. Along with my parliamentary colleagues Dame Joan Ruddock and Jim Dowd, I will be doing all that I can to convince the Health Secretary of the case against these proposals. But we need your help.
    Between now and 1st February, please do all that you can to help the campaign. If you have 5 minutes or 5 days, there are lots of ways you can get involved. At the bottom of this email, there are specific contacts and things you can do to help – for example, leafleting, making placards or being a steward at campaign events.
    If you can only spare a little time, please do the following:
    1. Protest against the proposals. The Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign have organised a second peaceful demonstration on Saturday 26th January. Assemble at Lewisham Roundabout (by the station) at 12, before we march past the hospital to Mountsfield Park for a rally, music and giant petition. I will be speaking at the rally.

2. Let the Secretary of State know what you think by sending your views directly to him. Email Jeremy Hunt on mb-sofs@dh.gsi.gov.uk or write to him at Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP, Secretary of State for Health, Department for Health, Richmond House, 79 Whitehall, London SW1A 2NS

3. Forward this email on to your friends. Spread the word about the campaign! This does not only affect the people of Lewisham, and Mr Hunt needs to know that people across South East London are not prepared to accept these recommendations and have their services and their safety compromised.

The campaign to Save Lewisham Hospital is far from over. We must be prepared to step up and make our voices heard. I hope we can count upon your support.
    Best wishes
    Heidi Alexander MP
    Labour MP for Lewisham East
    www.heidialexander.org.uk
    twitter: @heidi_mp
    WE NEED TO MARCH AGAIN!
    Save Lewisham Hospital Campaign update from Dr Louise Irvine (Campaign Chair)
    www.savelewishamhospital.com

We have organised another demonstration on Saturday 26th January. The TSA Matthew Kershaw handed in his report to Jeremy Hunt which shows that he has not listened at all to the views of Lewisham people, local GPs, hospital doctors and health workers, the Council and Churches.
    The decision on the future of Lewisham A&E and maternity is due at the start of February. We must keep up the pressure.

10,000 people marched through Lewisham on 24th November 2012 – young, elderly, families and people from every background. WE NEED A HUGE TURNOUT. We need to GET YOU AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW to come and march with us on Saturday 26th January:

The demo will assemble at Lewisham Roundabout (by the station) at 12 noon on Saturday 26th January. We will march past our hospital to Mountsfield Park where there will be a rally, music and a giant petition. You can see further information and download the leaflet from http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/demonstration-26th-january/

We need a lot of help in the build up to the demo and on the day. See below for a list of ways you can get involved.

*STEWARDING We have an urgent need for people to volunteer as stewards for the demo– contact Helen at GrgHallam@aol.com

* SHOPPING CENTRE STALLS AND LEAFLETING – contact Barbara at Barbara_veale@hotmail.co.uk
    Saturday 12th January and Saturday 19th January:
    Lewisham Riverdale Centre, main entrance 10am – 4pm
    Catford Shopping Centre (under the cat) 11am – 3 pm
    Deptford High St 10am onwards

* BIG RED BUS – this is going round LEWISHAM AND SOUTH LONDON BOROUGHS we need people to travel on the bus and give out leaflets etc. If you want to help on the bus meet at 9:30am Saturday 12 January or Saturday 19 January Elmira Street, Cornmill Gardens by the old Lewisham Bridge School.

* LEAFLETING AT FOOTBALL MATCHES - contact Pat at pat.sikorski@yahoo.co.uk
    This Saturday 12th help leaflet Charlton Football Match, The Valley Club, meet outside club shop, Floyd Rd, SE7 8BL at 1.30pm. (next week, Saturday 19th Millwall– details available from Pat)

* IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LEAFLET YOUR STREET – contact Simone at bluelibran@hotmail.co.uk
    Leaflets for you to distribute locally on your street, schools, and localities can be collected from the The Saville Day Centre (the pensioners forum office), 436 Lewisham High Street, London SE13 6LJ

* ASK YOUR GP PRACTICE to take fliers and posters – contact Louise at louise.irvine@runbox.com
    * MAKING PLACARDS – contact Carolyn at c.emanuel@hotmail.co.uk
    * HELPING WITH THE RALLY/EVENT after the march – contact Jill at jillmountford@rocketmail.com and Simone at bluelibran@hotmail.co.uk

COMMUNITY CONTACTS
    If you have contacts with specific groups in the community please contact the following people
    * PENSIONERS – contact Tamsin at lpforum@btconnect.com
    * SCHOOLS – contact Jill at jillmountford@rocketmail.com
    * CHURCHES – contact Gillian at gillianlewis@ntlworld.com

OR you can email us directly at savelewishamhospital@yahoo.com or fill out the form on our ‘How you can help’ page

We look forward to seeing you on 26th January but hopefully before.

* JOIN the Facebook event – INVITE your friends and SHARE the event page! And ‘like’ the official campaign Facebook
    * Tweet about the event - Come to the@SaveLewishamAE Demo through Lewisham and Catford on Saturday 26th January! http://on.fb.me/Z4jpRI #LewishamDemo26Jan
    * If write your own blog or any other ways you can help promote the Demo or the campaign, please get in touch.