Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Elliot - New chairman ?

edited November 2012 in General Charlton
Does anyone know how close this is to happening? Didn't realise a lot of the stuff he'd done after retiring, very impressive guy all around. Written a piece connected to it here anyway and questioning how much success the likes of Kick It out etc have had in getting racism out of the game ... http://blog.oddslife.com/2012/11/the-first-black-chairman-tackling-racism-in-football/

Comments

• Options
    Misleading title alert. You might as well amend it before you get a load of flak.
  • Options
    Won't be announced until the takeover happens.

Bye bye TJ and thanks for everything.
  • Options
    Takeover ?
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Takeover ?

Aaaaargh!
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Does anyone know how close this is to happening? ... http://blog.oddslife.com/2012/11/the-first-black-chairman-tackling-racism-in-football/

I don't know Sam - seeing as you wrote the article in the first place, then you tell us!!

• Options
    Sam, why the picture of Man Utd players? What's that got to do with Elliot.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Stig said:

It's because Rio is black

• Options
    If that's the reason, I hope they had a picture of frosty the snowman when Slater became chairman.
  • Options
    The association of white and yellow snowmen and snowwomen Lawyers wouldnt have had it any other way
  • Options
    Cheap shot with the thread title and blog blocked on mobile so it's a no from me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would be even more impressive if you managed to spell his name correctly?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Cos the article is about racism in football in general as the latter part of the title indicates. The fact that it's 2012 and only now is a club in english football about to announce the first black chairman is one of the key points I'm trying to make, how far have the likes of Kick it Out, Show Racism the Red Card really come? The fact that prior to Elliott (utmost apologies for forgetting the extra t) not one chairman in the game has been black is shocking in my opinion and additionally something that has surprised most I've told, and in doing so made them question the extent to which racism does still exist in the game right here in England.
  • Options

I don't know Sam - seeing as you wrote the article in the first place, then you tell us!!

Wasn't able to find any further information despite researching it, this being probably the main charlton forum I thought someone may have some insider info of some sort, apparently not...
  • Options
    We're told nuffink.
  • Options

Wasn't able to find any further information despite researching it, t, his being probably the main charlton forum I thought someone may have some insider info of some sort, apparently not...

well we already have 1 huge thread on this, thought of trying that ?

• Options
    shine166 said:

Wasn't able to find any further information despite researching it, t, his being probably the main charlton forum I thought someone may have some insider info of some sort, apparently not...

well we already have 1 huge thread on this, thought of trying that ?

I did not
  • Options

Stig said:

Cos the article is about racism in football in general as the latter part of the title indicates. The fact that it's 2012 and only now is a club in english football about to announce the first black chairman is one of the key points I'm trying to make, how far have the likes of Kick it Out, Show Racism the Red Card really come? The fact that prior to Elliott (utmost apologies for forgetting the extra t) not one chairman in the game has been black is shocking in my opinion and additionally something that has surprised most I've told, and in doing so made them question the extent to which racism does still exist in the game right here in England.
    But why should a person become chairmen of a football club just because they are black? And how many people are chairmen of football clubs just because they are white?
    I think it would be more shocking if someone was made a chairman of a club just because of their colour rather than what they can add to the club.
    FWIW, I think Paul Elliott would be great for our club because of who he is, what skills he can bring and not what colour he is!
  • Options
    I agree. Can't the act of dividing the list into white chairmen and black chairmen be viewed as being fundementally racist?
  • Options

I agree. Can't the act of dividing the list into white chairmen and black chairmen be viewed as being fundementally racist?

Ring Peter Herbert, he'll definately have an opinion.

• Options
    I think a true sign of equality is when we don't need to talk about the colour of someone's skin,because we are all treated equally.Wouldnt it be nice if we didn't have a black lawyers accociation.Why do we need a MOBO award Why can't we just have a music award?I agree with Hugo dividing the list into white and Black Chairmen is fundamentally racist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the race industry only white people are rascist.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I think a true sign of equality is when we don't need to talk about the colour of someone's skin,because we are all treated equally.Wouldnt it be nice if we didn't have a black lawyers accociation.Why do we need a MOBO award Why can't we just have a music award?I agree with Hugo dividing the list into white and Black Chairmen is fundamentally racist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ
  • Options
    It's only in this country can racism be worse then somebody's death.
  • Options
    Regardless racism still exists.

No matter how much rubbish idiots like herbert of the Black Lawyers Assoc and the BNP spout about racism to further their own agendas racism is still there.

Its not the role of any one group or race to combat racism or any other discrimination.

It all of us. We should all be standing up to racism from where ever it comes from be we white or black or if the racism isa coming from white or black.
  • Options
    "On the race issue Powell, who alongside Birmingham City's Chris Hughton is one of only two black managers in the four divisions, is echoing views held privately by many black players. But he goes further, puncturing the myth that racism had been eradicated only to suddenly resurface this season.

"The mistake is that we thought we'd finished with it," he says. "You can't ever think that. It's not strictly just football's problem. We know it was part of football in the bad old days but it's a problem that emanates from society.

"I look at football as a game, it should be available to anyone regardless of where they're from. You should be free to go and sit in a stadium and watch the game, support your team regardless of people thinking you shouldn't be here because of the colour of your skin. I'm loath to talk about it. I shouldn't be talking about it in 2012, I should be talking about football."

But, surely back in his playing days - Powell made his debut with Crystal Palace in 1987 - it was a more a case of fans' abuse of black players rather than players abusing each other as they are this season.

"Oh, there was," he sighs. "Don't be fooled by that, without a doubt there was. We all knew it was happening, both from the terraces and between the players. Nothing was done.

"Don't kid yourself it didn't happen. Back in the 70s, 80s, 90s, nothing was reported because nothing was happening with the authorities. So player-to-player abuse was almost, sadly, accepted in those days. You got on with it but the players fought their corner."

So was he racially abused by other players? He looks at me in some surprise and says: "Come on, what do you think? I don't want to talk about then. I want to talk about now. I want players to feel comfortable playing and feel free to report if things happen. That's what we're seeing. People won't accept it these days. It's being dealt with now regardless of how long it's taken. In days gone by we wouldn't even be talking about it."
  • Options

dickplumb said:

He is a wise man Morgan Freeman.

• Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/9448746.stm

6 April 2011

Chris Powell insists FA is encouraging black managers

Charlton Athletic boss Chris Powell believes the Football Association is doing nothing wrong in its approach to encouraging black managers.

Powell, currently the only black manager in the Football League, dismissed criticism of the FA over the perceived failing.

He told BBC Radio Kent: "People will always look for someone to blame.

"I've come through courses run in conjunction with the FA, but I stillfeel it's up to the individual."

He added: "The FA obviously wants more players of ethnic backgrounds to apply for jobs but it will taketime.

"I obviously recognise the importance of my role, but I don't think you can always blame governing bodies - I think it's always quite easy to do that."

The issue has been in the news following the departure of Paul Ince from Notts County last week.

The fact that Powell is now the only black boss left in the Football League led the Sports Minister Hugh Robertson to say it was "further proof that football is the worst governed sport in this country".

The chief executiveof the Professional Footballers' Association, Gordon Taylor, has suggested thata possible solution would be to introduce a new regulation modelled on the American National Football League's "Rooney Rule" (named after Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney), which requires all teams to include at least one ethnic minority candidate in interviews for senior management posts.

But Powell said it was up to individuals to push themselves forward for the top jobs.
  • Options

Regardless racism still exists.

No matter how much rubbish idiots like herbert of the Black Lawyers Assoc and the BNP spout about racism to further their own agendas racism is still there.

Its not the role of any one group or race to combat racism or any other discrimination.

It all of us. We should all be standing up to racism from where ever it comes from be we white or black or if the racism isa coming from white or black.

Good post Bill.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Valid point by Morgan.
  • Options
    I agree - you don't need to say anymore. Same go for gay (or "same sex" relationships) - it only seems to be them making an issue out of it.................as Ali G says..........."is coz I'm black ?"