Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

One second . . . . . . . !

2»

Comments

• If only they could devise some kind of system to warn you that the lights were about to change to red.

Can't believe you've got the balls to take to the internet and claim like you're being hard done by. You broke the rules, you either knew you were doing it or weren't paying attention like you should have been and you got caught. Suck it up and don't do it again.
  • Essex_Al said:

Received a summons through the post today from Essex Police.

Particulars of the Offence

Photographic evidence that the driver failed to comply with a red light.

The speed of the vehicle was 24mph in a 30mph limit. The time into red was 1 second!

Offence carries a maximum of £1000 fine and 6 points.

My luck!!!!!!

Got done for under half a second a few years ago up town. I guess the argument is that the clue is in the big amber light that goes before, but still a bit harsh. You presumably got a fixed penalty?
  • Can see both sides of everyone's point of view, some a bit OTT but there you go, it's happened and I'll have to pay up and look pretty, but I bet there's not one person that has replied on this thread that hasn't gone through an amber light. Think about one second in your head and how quick that really is!

Typical response from Henry, he'll be telling me Wagstaff is a good player next!
  • Essex_Al said:

Can see both sides of everyone's point of view, some a bit OTT but there you go, it's happened and I'll have to pay up and look pretty, but I bet there's not one person that has replied on this thread that hasn't gone through an amber light. Think about one second in your head and how quick that really is!

Typical response from Henry, he'll be telling me Wagstaff is a good player next!

And just like on the pitch Green wasnt there when you needed it/him and it cost you.

: - )
  • When I was at University a chap did just what you did. Saw an amber and decided that he'd still go and 'make it'. A car coming from his left (my right) forced him to swerve and he hit my stationary car head on at a speed in excess of 50 miles an hour. The car was a right off and me and both the passengers spent some time in hospital.

It is a fact that if you are not speeding and the light tunes amber you have time to stop or clear the lights before they go red. If you manage to do neither then you are, genuinely, risking causing serious injury to other drivers or pedestrians.

Suck it up, pay the fine, and learn to stop if it's red in the future!
  • So in your lifetime of driving, you've never gone through an amber light then!

In the space of one second, I doubt that the lights coming from the opposite direction have even changed, so a slightly different scenario to yours.

As I've said, done the crime, pay the fine! but one second jeeeez!
  • edited November 2012
    Al, was there a car close behind you? If so it _might_ have been justified not to brake, but otherwise you've got no excuse.
  • 1 second past red = probably 5 seconds past Amber which is the point you should be starting to stop unless you are already so close to the line that you can't stop safely behind the line, so your point about it being 1 second doesn't seem valid to me.
  • I thought this was a thread about premature evaluation :-0
  • aliwibble said:

Al, was there a car close behind you? If so it _might_ have been justified not to brake, but otherwise you've got no excuse.

Agreed, no excuses from me, haven't tried to make any!

• Sponsored links:

• 1 second past red = probably 5 seconds past Amber which is the point you should be starting to stop unless you are already so close to the line that you can't stop safely behind the line, so your point about it being 1 second doesn't seem valid to me.

Three seconds is the amber light time actually. Sorry you can't see the point, but I still bet there is not one person on here that hasn't gone through a traffic light on amber, I was just unlucky to get caught for one second.
  • Essex_Al said:

1 second past red = probably 5 seconds past Amber which is the point you should be starting to stop unless you are already so close to the line that you can't stop safely behind the line, so your point about it being 1 second doesn't seem valid to me.

Three seconds is the amber light time actually. Sorry you can't see the point, but I still bet there is not one person on here that hasn't gone through a traffic light on amber, I was just unlucky to get caught for one second.
    So are you saying that you made a conscious decision to run an amber light but missed it by one second? If so then you missed it by one second, but only because you chose to run an amber light.

I confess I did this when I was about 18. I got done, back in those days the fine was about £30. I paid it, and I have never run a red light since. It was about four years later that I was hit by a car that ran a light.

In answer to your suggestion that it was different, the chap that hit me saw an amber and believed he could get past in time. Instead of slowing down he sped up so he ran the red light, maybe by one second, maybe by more. The point is that when he should have slowed down he put his foot down and caused an accident.

I agree with those above that say that three points and a fine are, possibly, a lucky escape.

Jeeeez!
  • Stop for no man
  • Get yourself a bicycle. Apparently, these are immune from red lights and any other laws of the road...................
  • Don't be an amber gambler!
  • Get yourself a bicycle. Apparently, these are immune from red lights and any other laws of the road...................

haha..

Road? I assume you mean pavement?
  • Any driver with an ounce of sense wouldn't have been pootling along at 24mph, he would've sped up and gone through the amber light at 35mph and be away and in the clear.
  • edited November 2012
    DRF said:

iainment said:

If that was the second that my daughter thought she could use the crossing safely..............

Did you not see the light ahead?

How quickly does your daughter walk???
    She has a visual impairment.

• I was fined and given points for jumping a red years ago. my fault. paid up and have not done it since. certainly did not moan about it. the law is straight forwards and there for safety purposes. learn from it.
  • Sponsored links:

• These threads always make me chuckle and die a little bit inside at the same time

• Carter said:

These threads always make me chuckle and die a little bit inside at the same time

In what way?

• Rizzo said:

Carter said:

These threads always make me chuckle and die a little bit inside at the same time

In what way?

Maybe he has a laughter allergy ?
  • From a very young age we are taught traffic lights incorrectly. Below is what they actually mean:

Green = Go
    Amber = Stop if safe to do so
    Red = Don't go (as distinct from stop)
    Red+Amber = Prepare to go

Of course the way lights are treated is typically:

Green = Go
    Amber = speed up to beat the red
    Red = Stop (unless it's just changed, then floor it)
    Red+Amber = set off like it's the start of a grand prix

HAHAH brilliant
  • Rizzo said:

Carter said:

In what way?

In the black & white way the world is viewed by some

And my laughter allergy