Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What laptop?

Comments

• Options
    If I can hi-jack Rob's thread for a sec. Looking at replacing my knackered PC and replacing with a laptop. For me, it's all about music - a mix of downloading, CDs and using sites like Soundcloud. Have been told that the HP Envy range have decent memory/sound systems and have seen some good reviews for them.

Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations? Cheers, Tel
  • Options
    Cheers Stras pal, very helpful. Nice one Tell mate, yeah we play music from ours too, so what the best way to pipe the music from where the laptop will be, to speakers in the kitchen, passage and maybe even the bathroom (I've got the flush mounted ceiling speakers already, but ain"t got a clue what to do when it comes to connecting it all up to me laptop. Or is it just done via wifi?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Music has to be a few stand out units. I have an ASUS with build it Bang & Olufsen sound (not sure that the speakers are from them might just be the sound card) it comes with an external subwoofer. It is great.
    The only other unit that I know comes close is with a Bose setup (and that unit it did have the Bose speakers) but for the life of me I can't remember who made it (I was however impressed). You are both welcome to inbox me, and I can guild you through what you both might need.

Rob, how do your speakers work at the moment?
  • Options
    They don't mate, they're in boxes in me loft
  • Options

Go for an older unit that has Windows 7 (unless you really want windows 8) as you get almost the same spec for two thirds the price.

I've tried to get a new PC whcih has Windows 7 and it doesn't seem possible. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Thanks Strasburger. I'll have a look at some of the Bose stuff. I've had one of their Soundwave systems for a few years and it's a great, deep sound. I'll see what their range is and the wifi connection capabilities and drop you a line.

Rob...
    BIG_ROB said:

...first LOL of the morning!! Cheers ;-)
  • Options
    Jints said:

I've tried to get a new PC whcih has Windows 7 and it doesn't seem possible. Any ideas?

These two searches turned up a few
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptops-Windows-7-Computers-Accessories/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:429886031,p_n_operating_system_browse-bin:319707031
    http://www.misco.co.uk/Cat/Computers/Laptops?Operating_System__STRING=Windows+7+Pro&Sort=PriceAsc#Sorting

The Misco one has mostly higher end units that are still a bit pricey (IMHO) but I have bought from them many times and they are good.

The laptop I use is an ASUS N56V I got it from PC world a week before windows 8 came out and got in half price plus an extra £100 off. So a £1400 for £600
    BIG_ROB said:

lol can't help you ;-)

• Options
    If you can afford it Apple Mac all day long they beat anything else out of sight
  • Options

If you can afford it Apple Mac all day long they beat anything else out of sight

Was offered one foe 500 a couple of month back. Wrong time though
  • Options
    Shame Rob that was a bargain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Stras, very helpful
  • Options
    The best windows PC on the market is a MacBook Air, so if you can find one second hand, it'll still be better then an Acer
  • Options
    Rob, it may not be easy for you living in France an'all, but maybe if you ask someone nicely, they might pop along to Agros (Argos) for you.

Decent Spec with an i7 processor and windows 7 premium
    If I was in the market for one, I'd be straight there:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5088096.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&_$ja=tsid:11674|prd:1546795&storeId=10151&referredURL=http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5088096.htm&referrer=COJUN
  • Options

Rob, it may not be easy for you living in France an'all, but maybe if you ask someone nicely, they might pop along to Agros (Argos) for you.

Decent Spec with an i7 processor and windows 7 premium
    If I was in the market for one, I'd be straight there:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5088096.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&_$ja=tsid:11674|prd:1546795&storeId=10151&referredURL=http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5088096.htm&referrer=COJUN

Cheers mate, that's looking the better option now.
  • Options
    If buying a laptop avoid i-7's. Get an i-5, the i-7's run too hot for a laptop and the cooling will pack up eventually.
  • Options
    Having to get a new one myself tomorrow, have reserved a lenovo g700 at argos for £379.99, any thoughts on it before I collect?
  • Options
    What's the best for gaming? ...i.e. Football Manager!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Talal said:

Having to get a new one myself tomorrow, have reserved a lenovo g700 at argos for £379.99, any thoughts on it before I collect?

This from a review site: "The G700.... WLAN reception is very weak and it was almost impossible to get a stable signal over several floors. The connection with a Hitron router was only possible for a few seconds before the notebook lost the signal, even with visual contact. The situation was slightly better with a Fritzbox router, but the overall WLAN performance of the G700 is still disappointing."

So, using in the same room as your router might be okay but if you thought you were going to connect to, say, a hotel's wifi network, perhaps best to give it a swerve? Also a suggestion that the USB3.0 port is too close to the ethernet port and card reader which reduces functionality of these ports.
  • Options
    Thanks for that, only likely to use WiFi at home, would use phone elsewhere so hopefully should be ok. I don't tend to stick much in the laptop aside from a mouse, iPod cable and hdmi cable so again hoping its alright :)
  • Options
    Just a quick few questions about laptop batteries, I've searched google but there seem to be varying answers so wondered what people do here... is it best to keep laptop on charge at all times when indoors? When on the battery how much should you let it run down before recharging? Can the battery be removed if using charger and is this a good idea? Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I've heard god reviews for Lenovo laptops and equally the Acers are good too, depending what you're using it far, getting one with an i5 would be good enough for most stuff.

Macbooks are great but the screens are tiny unless you get the most expensive one, like I said, good but the cost is staggering.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I've heard god reviews for Lenovo laptops and equally the Acers are good too, depending what you're using it far, getting one with an i5 would be good enough for most stuff.

Macbooks are great but the screens are tiny unless you get the most expensive one, like I said, good but the cost is staggering.

OP if God is doing laptop reviews who are we to argue with his findings:0) Have a good weekend buddy.
  • Options
    Tried many makes over the years, but the stand out's were made by Samsung.....last laptop I bought was a Toshiba, and frankly it's been a huge disappointment and it wasn't cheap. (replaced twice).
  • Options
    Asus, good quality and reliable. Search for a Laptop with a fingerprint reader, if, like me, remembering passwords drives you mad. It will save you heaps of time and hassle.
  • Options
    I notice that DELL have not had a mention, does that indicate a negative rating by those in the know?
  • Options
    I'll only add from my experience - stay clear of Acers.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I notice that DELL have not had a mention, does that indicate a negative rating by those in the know?

I've a Dell for sometime, 6yrs I think, don't use it much, these days. In its time the hard drive has gone and the battery. I would buy another, in fact I'm looking for one for my daughter to replace the toshiba she has got, which has been a trouble compared to the dell.
  • Options
    Just taken delivery of an Acer Aspire Timelne Ultra M3 from Argos for £349 instead of £499. Looks the part, just gonna set it up now, might fit a Whose Rack special in before bed!
  • Options
    I got an Acer Aspire 5532. not a bad laptop but it has poor quality speakers. not sure what your ones will be like.
    in the end i went out and bought plug in speakers for it, made a huge difference.
  • Options
    Yeah, just had Black Grape on and it did sound a bit tinny. Looks like I need to buy the full Microsoft Office, I thought these computers all came with it.....?