Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Time to Start Communicating More......

Comments

• Options
    Excellently executed piece from AFKA. All things I have been mulling over myself but not had time to get down on paper. Dan did it better than I could anyway.
  • Options
    Excellent well balanced piece, AFKA.

Sadly, 16 % of the posts above are "same old crap, I'm bored". OK if you are bored, fine. But why do you feel the need to make me read about the fact you're bored? I can't find a more polite way to say "Why should I or anyone else care?"
  • Options
    Well said AFKA. I guess the key point for me is that, the clumsily handled departure of long term staff aside, there is actually very little that the owners/Board have actually done wrong so far. It is the absence of communication and reassurance that adds fuel to the worries many of us have about what might be around the corner. If they don't care about that, it's a shame, but I don't think that they are going to change. I'm just hoping that new investment will bring a new Chairman and a new Chief Executive who will care more about the fans, even if TJ remains aloof.
  • Options

Sadly, 16 % of the posts above are "same old crap, I'm bored". OK if you are bored, fine. But why do you feel the need to make me read about the fact you're bored? I can't find a more polite way to say "Why should I or anyone else care?"

Why did you feel the need to post that? Answer that and you'll answer your own question.
  • Options
    so protheroe is on the same dough as the geordie smiler
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Why did you feel the need to post that? Answer that and you'll answer your own question.
    You have already presumed to know my answer.

I don't post in the "what starting 11 against Boro" thread because I don't think I've got any opinion that would help anyone. But there's no harm in the thread, it's what we all talk about in the pub. Some people in the pub would also talk about what AFKA writes here. Why would anyone else want to stop them?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    As Woody Allen might have said: " we're in a transitional phase... join the trust"
  • Options

Off_it said:

I don't post in the "what starting 11 against Boro" thread because I don't think I've got any opinion that would help anyone. But there's no harm in the thread, it's what we all talk about in the pub. Some people in the pub would also talk about what AFKA writes here. Why would anyone else want to stop them?
    I wasn't aware that anyone was trying to stop anyone saying anything. Some people were just giving their view. You might not like or agree with that view, but that's just tough really - last time I looked I didn't see anything saying we all had to agree about stuff.
  • Options
    AFKA Good post we need to pull together.Only afew people know what way we are heading and 99.9% of the people on CL have no idea of what is going on of which i am one.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

I wasn't aware that anyone was trying to stop anyone saying anything. Some people were just giving their view. You might not like or agree with that view, but that's just tough really - last time I looked I didn't see anything saying we all had to agree about stuff.
    Oh come on. If you are just "bored" with a topic, why would you even open a thread? There are loads I don't open, but I'm not judging their validity. And If you remain so bored, why do you read through the whole thread and then tell everybody that you are bored by it? I mean they can if they want, but I just don't get why.
    My best guess about why is that they find discussions about the idea that all isn't right behind the scenes, unsettling. Well so do I. But their response is to look away and hope the bad news goes away too. So they'd rather threads like this didn't exist.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    what pees me off Prague is Smudge does a good piece, Rick then posts something about Prothero'S wages and then it's here we go again same old posts, this has been done on the Varney, Kav,Rick leaving thread, Paul Elliott to ge chairman thread, etc etc. In the end you think for fcuk sake
    same old same old

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I think the two merge. AFKA wrote a very good article which oozes thought, care and insight. Rick's piece does feed into it, because AFKA's article refers to a Vice Chairman. Rick seems to suggest that Prothero is telling everyone that he is not an executive and therefore presumably not the Vice Chair that we thought he was. It emphasises AFKA's point that the lines of communication are down. It also leaves us wondering why he is there and for what task he is being paid large sums of our money. We don't know, we haven't been told, so rumour, speculation and yes annoyance and boredom fill the gaps that are left.
    Which leads to another of AFKA's point...... 'the Club desperately needs ................. to start utilising supporters as allies, and an asset, again, not viewing them as a potential enemy. It may be for differing reasons, but we should all want the same things.' I concur wholeheartedly.

• Options
    ok thanks
  • Options
    So then, ignoring the CL bickering, is anyone going to shed any light on what's going on with the training ground or not?
  • Options

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Oh come on. If you are just "bored" with a topic, why would you even open a thread? There are loads I don't open, but I'm not judging their validity. And If you remain so bored, why do you read through the whole thread and then tell everybody that you are bored by it? I mean they can if they want, but I just don't get why.
    My best guess about why is that they find discussions about the idea that all isn't right behind the scenes, unsettling. Well so do I. But their response is to look away and hope the bad news goes away too. So they'd rather threads like this didn't exist.

Change the record. It's almost as if you want something to happen like Powell leaving do you can go I told you say you should have listened
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Have no issue with someone posting what they think one of Charltons employees / consultants might be getting paid. In fact in the case of MP and within the current Charlton Athletic policy of say eff all to anyone about anything I find it rather interesting and helpful in my own deliberations as to what is happening at the club I invest so much time effort and money into. Prothero is if we are being informed correctly earning 150k for exactly what ? He's not running the club day to day and I doubt it is for overseeing a management restructure and culling of senior staff. Looks more like a retainer to me and IMHO I think the suggested 250k bonus will be related to bringing in serious investment. No problem with that either. I hope he proves very successful. Boring its not.

Yeah. Top piece Danny.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2012
    Good article by AKFA Bartram. Sums it up for me.

Prothero position at Charlton is unclear.

Also unclear about his previous role at Umbro. Prothero was marketing directing. Umbro was bought by Nike, who took over its major Premier league, international and shirt contracts and players , and then sold off for half the price they bought it for. Not a great experience for Umbro.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/farewell-to-umbro-end-of-an-era-for-three-lions-8205945.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203897404578076360671279662.html

Will Prothero be any good for Charlton ?
  • Options
    What is the positive strategic vision for the club (for both the Charlton supporter (customer) and in a business sense for those that are running the company ? Are the two things aligned ?
  • Options
    vff said:

What is the positive strategic vision for the club (for both the Charlton supporter (customer) and in a business sense for those that are running the company ? Are the two things aligned ?

That vff is the $64000 question.

• Options
    Well, when Paul Elliott becomes chairman, perhaps the communication channels might reopen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So then, ignoring the CL bickering, is anyone going to shed any light on what's going on with the training ground or not?

Really, don't remember anything about this before. Could the lack of communication simply be due to lawyers instructions to not compromise a position by talking about anything publicly?

• Options
    I think it's an excellent post by AFKABartram, other posts take us away from the central point. The question I would like answered (and only here can it be) is how do we make those responsible for the current situation listen? I think broadly, we all agree with the post so anything else is superfluous.
  • Options
    A strong well supported trust might be able to help with an apparent communication issue
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The board is under no obligation to communicate with us at all.We are customers, and our sentimental attachment to the club ultimately counts for nothing.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

The board is under no obligation to communicate with us at all.We are customers, and our sentimental attachment to the club ultimately counts for nothing.

Without our sentimental attachment there would literally be no club. That is a fact.

• Options

Redskin said:

Without our sentimental attachment there would literally be no club. That is a fact.

Of course. That's why despite being totally dissatisfied today, around 90% of the paying customers will pitch up for the Cardiff match

• Options
    Mike said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Change the record. It's almost as if you want something to happen like Powell leaving do you can go I told you say you should have listened
    There seems to be a lot of that going on Mike.
  • Options
    Absolute bollocks.
  • Options

Absolute bollocks.

Yep, there's a lot of that too.
  • Options
    Sorry to break this news, but CAFC are not owned by the fans but by the owners and shareholders.

The Chairman/CEO of today...or whoever buys the club in the future can do what whatever they want, including ignoring the paying punters and life-long fans. The same way that if we don't like how they run the club we can all go walk away today and go elsewhere for our weekly football fix and entertainment. Please stop the negative and unhelpful speculating on what you can only know very little about.

Look over the River Thames to Arsenal if you want to see how some club owners disregard their fans, we all know from our recent history in the 1980's that it could all be a lot worse worse. There are worse things going in football than poor PR management at Charlton AFC.