Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CP on Nicky Bailey, Boro and home form

Comments

• Options
    "NICKY Bailey is set to make his first Valley appearance since opting for a 2010 play-off penalty miss when Middlesbrough arrive in SE7 this weekend."
  • Options
    Lol.
  • Options
    haha good one
  • Options
    "Instead of choosing to score the penalty he opted to put it over the bar for reasons known only to himself."
  • Options
    Hope he gets a good reception. Always gave his all for us.
  • Options
    All heart but not enough talent to carry the team like he wanted/we needed him to at times. Was obviously devastated when he missed that pen as he knew he'd be sold in the summer if we weren't promoted. Bad way to leave as I think he really liked it here
  • Options
    Will get a good reception from me.
  • Options
    certainly deserves a good reception
  • Options
    I will give him a good reception always gave his all.
  • Options
    Excellent player for us with two exceptions.

Penalty miss and the 4-0 defeat at Millwall. Spent his afternoon trying to protect Solly and messed up his own game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was also caught in possesion for the goal that made the miss possible, it's that that I remember most, taking on the player when he was the last man.
  • Options
    Would have him back in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    He'll get a clap from me too .

A rendition of " Oh Nicky Bailey " etc wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    So to confirm, Nicky Bailey is going to get the clap from Fanny.
  • Options
    lolol.
  • Options
    PMSL
  • Options
    I always thought he was very self motivated. He was quick to leave Barnet when Southend came knocking and he even refused to play for Southend when they stuck their heels in about his transfer to us.

His comments when we were relegated were, in my view, a little less than encouraging too. I don't have the actual quote to hand but it was something like I don't know what will happen but if I have to I will play for Charlton in League One. It left me feeling that he's had a good season with us (and we were relegated) but he had every intention of cashing in on that by getting a move for more money. Normally I wouldn't have had a problem with his comment, especially as footballers are not educated to degree level in PR, but his track record, especially his refusal to okay for Southend less than twelve months earlier, made me question his loyalty a little bit.

Incidentally, I was always in the camp that thought that he had some faults as a player and despite the goals he scored he was responsible for a few going in the other end. The worst one (as has been said above) was the Swindon goal that earned them the penalty shoot-out when he, literally, have the ball away when under no pressure at all.

I believe he has gone on to do well at Middlesbrough, but for me he was a player that looked slightly better than average in two of the worst seasons the club has suffered in the thirty years I've been following them.
  • Options
    I may be out of sync here but I aways thought Bailey overrated apart from the unbelivable goal he scored against Wolves, a game we went on to lose 3-1 most of memories of him are giving the ball away in dangerous positions, falling over holding his face like he had been hit by a howitzer and chirpping at the ref non-stop. I wasn't sorry when he left but I bear him no malice.

The word Journeyman springs to mind.
  • Options
    25 goals in 89 appearances for us and overrated?
  • Options
    Gingerist
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I worked with a guy who was/is a personal friend of Nicky Bailey & we often used to talk about Charlton because of this. When we first got relegated he told me that Middlesborough had approached Charlton & we were keen to do a deal. The ginger one said that he didn't want to go to M'boro & was happy to stay at Charlton. Of course if a better located club had come in he may well have gone & obviously he had a change of heart the following summer but to say that he jumped ship at the earliest possibilty is simply untrue.
  • Options

I may be out of sync here but I aways thought Bailey overrated apart from the unbelivable goal he scored against Wolves, a game we went on to lose 3-1 most of memories of him are giving the ball away in dangerous positions, falling over holding his face like he had been hit by a howitzer and chirpping at the ref non-stop. I wasn't sorry when he left but I bear him no malice.

The word Journeyman springs to mind.

No more of a journeyman than most other players at League One/Championship level.

He's had 5 clubs by the age of 28, not bad for someone who started off at Sutton and slowly but surely made decent steps up with each move he made. Good luck to him.

Would be very happy for him if he got the chance to play in the Premier League one day.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense could see just how distraught he was to miss that penalty. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen a Charlton player break down like that.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

...but to say that he jumped ship at the earliest possibilty is simply untrue.

I think he thought he would have gone had a closer club come in for him. I read that he didn't want to move away from his home in (from memory) Essex.

He, perhaps, thought that a closer club would come in for him and when it didn't 13 months later he took the money at Middlesborough.

I'm not necessarily critisising him, just pointing out that he had his faults as a player, and was as happy as any other footballer to leave when a 'better' offer came along.

It may be untrue to say that he would have left at all costs, but he did leave for a club bigger than we were at the time of his departure, but it was not really bigger than us when he arrived!
  • Options

I always thought he was very self motivated. He was quick to leave Barnet when Southend came knocking and he even refused to play for Southend when they stuck their heels in about his transfer to us.

His comments when we were relegated were, in my view, a little less than encouraging too. I don't have the actual quote to hand but it was something like I don't know what will happen but if I have to I will play for Charlton in League One. It left me feeling that he's had a good season with us (and we were relegated) but he had every intention of cashing in on that by getting a move for more money. Normally I wouldn't have had a problem with his comment, especially as footballers are not educated to degree level in PR, but his track record, especially his refusal to okay for Southend less than twelve months earlier, made me question his loyalty a little bit.

Incidentally, I was always in the camp that thought that he had some faults as a player and despite the goals he scored he was responsible for a few going in the other end. The worst one (as has been said above) was the Swindon goal that earned them the penalty shoot-out when he, literally, have the ball away when under no pressure at all.

I believe he has gone on to do well at Middlesbrough, but for me he was a player that looked slightly better than average in two of the worst seasons the club has suffered in the thirty years I've been following them.

I was just about to say all that :)

Top post.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    was never impressed by him
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I agree that he was overated when he played for us cost us many goals and was not a disiplined player positional wise,was one of the reasons we were relegated

Disagree put a good shift in for us IMO turned from hero in a lot of peoples eyes to villain because of that penalty miss which did us a favour in more ways than one, team management and playing staff wise longer term. Liked him and will only give him stick during the game if he deserves it like the other Boro players on show.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2012
    Swings and roundabouts with Nicky Bailey.

Kings Hill post says it all.

In the scheme of things, he did not prevent us from being relegated or to help us get us promoted.
  • Options
    The theatrics of Bailey used to annoy the crap out of me and ultimately cost us