Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accident at Charlton training ground yesterday

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell, hope the person is alright
  • Options
    that sounds horrific. get well soon, whoever you are.
  • Options
    Jeez. Yep get well soon.
  • Options
    I hate it when people leave a vehicle in gear.
  • Options
    'Serious injuries'...sheesh I hope they get every help and assistance from the club whatever the health and safety in's and out's.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, here's wishing whoever it is has a very speedy recovery. What I did notice though was that it was a "volunteer"; is the training ground not managed on a professional basis then?
  • Options
    At least the News Hopper isn't reporting that the person "opted" to get run over. That would just be plain silly!

Hope the person concerned is ok.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Must have been really bad to get the air ambulance involved.

Hope the person is ok and makes a full and speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Hope the person is ok and makes a full recovery, but trying to start an old tractor with a screw driver tells you something surely.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Sounds nasty and I wish them a speedy recover but why were they using a screwdriver?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't sound good. Whoever it is, I hope that the volunteer makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    It's likely the HSE will get involved in this and could have serious repercussions.

Big fines for this sort of incident.
  • Options
    Was he meant to be sticking his screwdriver in the old tractor ?
  • Options

Was he meant to be sticking his screwdriver in the old tractor ?

Well that's what I'm wondering, why would a 'volunteer' need a tractor?

• Options
    Addickted said:

It's likely the HSE will get involved in this and could have serious repercussions.

But how is it the clubs fault if he wants to try and start it with a screw driver, if they had given him the keys maybe, but starting it with a screw driver says he shouldn't of been doing it. It's like trying to steal it.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Addickted said:

But how is it the clubs fault if he wants to try and start it with a screw driver, if they had given him the keys maybe, but starting it with a screw driver says he shouldn't of been doing it. It's like trying to steal it.
    Perhaps it doesn't start any other way.
  • Options
    Maybe he was trying to fix it, hence the screwdriver.
  • Options
    Get Well soon to the injured person!
  • Options
    Oh god, conspiracies abound.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Addickted said:

I too hope that the person recovers completely and quickly.

In my experience, older tractors I have used had a gear lever that you moved to 's' to start it and newer ones have a safety switch connected to the clutch so that it has to be depressed before it will start.

If the tractor is faulty, the club will get fined heavily.
    If the volunteer was not given sufficient training and it has been recorded, the club will be fined heavily.
    If the volunteer had received the correct training and the tractor is well maintained, the club may still be fined for poor supervision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whoever the injured person is, I hope you get well soon and have a good recovery.
  • Options
    Growing up on a farm I remember, my Dad starting old tractors by connecting lugs on the starter motor or solenoid, by using a long screwdriver. Sounds like it may be a similar situation.
    Hope he recovers.
  • Options
    The maintenance strategy is pitiful.
    This is something that gets pushed down the pecking order when money is tight.
  • Options
    Anyone know how the chap is getting on
  • Options
    Have had an update on this as I know a few people asked me about it.

Thankfully the injuries sustained didn't turn out to be as serious as initially feared so he is fine and back at work.
  • Options
    That's good to hear, thanks NS.
  • Options
    Does that mean we can do some tractor puns now?
  • Options
    Make hay @WSS
  • Options
    As a young boy, Joe was completely obsessed with tractors.He had pictures of tractors all over his bedroom walls; he had tractor toys,tractor T-shirts, a tractor carpet, and duvet cover, the whole works. He ate, drank and slept tractors.

On his 17th birthday he was thrilled to get an invitation to go to a tractor factory nearby and test-drive a brand new tractor. His excitement was incredible as he told his family and friends. The great day came and he went to the factory for the test-drive.

Unfortunately something went terribly wrong with the tractor when Joe was driving it and it flipped over, trapping and breaking Joe's leg. He was so upset and tried to sue the tractor company for negligence. But the company would have none of it and told him there was no liability and he could get lost!

You can imagine he was rather put off with tractors after this and vowed to shed them from his life completely and forever. All the posters came down, the toys were given away - tractors were GONE.

Many years later, Joe went into a restaurant for lunch. Inside, the cigarette smoke was terrible but through it he saw a beautiful girl seated at a table on her own. Tears were streaming down her face. Joe asked her what was wrong and she said that the smoke was making her eyes sting and stream with tears.

With that, Joe looked around and then took a huge breath, sucking in all the smoke. He then walked outside into the car park and blew all the smoke out again.

He went back into the bar where the air was now clear and sweet and sat down next to the girl.

"That was amazing!" she said, "How did you do that?"

"No problem", said Joe "I'm an extractor fan"
  • Options
    genius