Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This season

edited October 2012 in General Charlton
I just want to say that win, lose or draw I am already finding our first season back in the Championship fascinating. Who knows how the table will look come May but I think the boys will be OK. Plenty more twists to come!

In Powell we trust.

Fk

Comments

• Options
    With you on this ...very happy to be back and it's turning into a fascinating season ...not much between most teams as far as I can see ...I see no reason to believe we will go down
  • Options
    Agree with both of the above
  • Options
    We won't go down . Apart from a couple of home games we have not looked out of place at all.
  • Options

We won't go down . Apart from a couple of home games we have not looked out of place at all.

Don't expect us to go down but I think there will be a lot of squeaky buns in May
  • Options
    Seems anyone can beat anyone in this division, teams have good runs and then bad runs, any consistency and you could run away with the division.

Also any team that goes top then loses, i.e. Blackpool, Brighton, Cardiff and now Leicester.
  • Options
    We have beaten two of those teams. When Sir Chris works outr a system that is effective against the frustrators at home - then we'll shoot up this league.
  • Options

We have beaten two of those teams. When Sir Chris works outr a system that is effective against the frustrators at home - then we'll shoot up this league.

Think we will be fine.

I have not noticed any frustrators at home jus the wrong formation at times, we do not have pace in team for style we av played at home.
  • Options
    Im enjoying this season and very confident we are on target for a comfortable mid-table finish. (10th - 16th)
  • Options
    Just need a bit of luck and start turning draws into wins. I would be feeling more comfortable ebing about 5 points better off...
  • Options
    By frustrators I mean teams that play 5 in midfield and try to deprive us of time and space.........like we do away!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree with this. It seems that we have found an effective way to play away but we need a system that will break teams down at home. I dont think playing 5 in midfield, one being a holding player will be good enough at home. I think alot of teams will be happy to play out a draw on the hope they may nick a goal on the counter.

Im not entirely sure what the best system is too play at home but I think playing with 2 strikers is a good start.

I had a thought the other day that if we did go down this season I would be so gutted I think I would really struggle to renew my season ticket. I know im a sh*t fan.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    How many points normally sees you safe in this league - 50?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    50 usually, yes, to stay up.

There's a marked difference in quality compared to league 1, so much so that it is hard to identify 3 poor teams so far. Early days but I think resources will tell by May, and that could mean Millwall and Peterborough fighting it out with others. And Leicester, Bolton and Blackburn at the top end. Would add to the relegation fray any club that has major off field troubles, of course, like Pompey and Cov last year.

Overall really enjoying it and most encouraged that we have at least matched some of the favourites and played well even when we've not won.
    Of the teams we've played at home i was least impressed by Hull so far.
  • Options

There's a marked difference in quality compared to league 1, so much so that it is hard to identify 3 poor teams so far. Early days but I think resources will tell by May, and that could mean Millwall and Peterborough fighting it out with others. And Leicester, Bolton and Blackburn at the top end. Would add to the relegation fray any club that has major off field troubles, of course, like Pompey and Cov last year.

Overall really enjoying it and most encouraged that we have at least matched some of the favourites and played well even when we've not won.

Good post, I agree its an exciting league to be in, I know its a cliche but any team can beat any team in this league.
    I think once everyone realises that we have stepped up a league (I know its obvious) and that we do not now have the resources to buy who we want, then they will enjoy the football. I think we will string 3 or 4 wins together which will see us move up into mid table obscurity (sound familiar) and given the lack of cash, the injuries to key players and the diminished expectation due to those factors I for one, will be more than happy with that this season.
  • Options
    swords_alive said:

Good post, I agree its an exciting league to be in, I know its a cliche but any team can beat any team in this league.
    I think once everyone realises that we have stepped up a league (I know its obvious) and that we do not now have the resources to buy who we want, then they will enjoy the football. I think we will string 3 or 4 wins together which will see us move up into mid table obscurity (sound familiar) and given the lack of cash, the injuries to key players and the diminished expectation due to those factors I for one, will be more than happy with that this season.

Agree Greenie personally I wasn't too impressed with Blackburn either I thought they would be far better than they were against us and that was one game I think we definitely edged it. we just need to win a few at home to get things going a bit and then I thinkwe will be OK.
  • Options
    We need to start putting together a run, the way Posh have and that run has to be a run of wins. I can see both Bolton and Ipswich getting their stuff together and start to move up the table. CP was brave prior to Leeds and needs to find a formula at home and pretty quick. Boro and Cardiff are going to be tough, despite the top teams dropping points.

We cannot go the whole season playing 4-5-1, so we need to resolve the central midfield problem that has existed from day one. I think we will stay up, but I don't think its a cast iron guarantee
  • Options
    4-5-1 isn't a defensive formation as long as your two wide men are able to join up to a 4-3-3 when attacking.

green doesn't have the pace or fitness to join up top Then tuck back in to form a 5. Wilson is ideal for that role. Jackson same on the left. see him in more of a central role. Kerker perhaps.

shame he hasn't given wagstaff a go. think hemay well be lower league equivalent to Walcott.
  • Options
    Everything depends on how many players stay fit and what goes on at board level that will be the final say on this first season back in this division.At the moment the forwards are finding this division hard going.No winger as such,no one in the class of a Paddy Powell.Chris Powell is the right man for Charlton,but is this Charlton right for Chris Powell.Still think bottom six and no higher.