Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roadworks Contraflows- The Charltonlife Social Experiment!

I was on the M1 near sheffield this morning and in the Southbound carriageway, it had been reduced to only the hard shoulder open. It was another reminder of road etiquette, or not whichever is your own view. We've all seen it, or done it at times, but i was getting more and more frustrated as each car passed my shoulder in the outer lane right up until the lanes closed to one at the front. So here is the telling question to lifers. Do you get in line with the other lemmings, or are you a down the outside till last minute driver. No judgements made about anyone please!

.....I was sat waiting and was late for work.

Comments

• Options
    In loads of similar situations, not only on motorways, if we all applied the 'you go,I go, you go, I go' rule we would all make better progress most of the time.
    However most drivers seem to think 'I go, you let me', because they probably think 'I'll never see them again anyway, and anyway I'm worth it'!
  • Options
    I must admit I do it, but not to the very end normally join queue quite a way before it gets to the end where those who go push it right to the end join the line of traffic.
  • Options
    As soon as I get close to where it goes into one lane I'm straddling the centre to stop the idiots come flying up and barging in.
  • Options
    maybe_baby probably just carries on in the outside lane and ploughs through the traffic cones - hence the 50-odd tickets.
    ;o)
  • Options
    Ross said:

As soon as I get close to where it goes into one lane I'm straddling the centre to stop the idiots come flying up and barging in.

Whilst stuck in a 90 minute 800 metre crawl a few weeks ago on the M67 at Mottram in Manchester i saw a plice car do just that and to my amazement, quite a few, mainly vans, went up the verge around it. The police officer did nothing.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

maybe_baby probably just carries on in the outside lane and ploughs through the traffic cones - hence the 50-odd tickets.
    ;o)

Why get stuck on the outside lane, he's on the hard shoulder, "nobody puts baby in the corner." ;-)

• Options
    Ross said:

As Said. (and I go slightly slower to really p*ss off the idiots who are trying to cut in behind).
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I am the perfect gentleman and let everyone go in front, unless I'm late and then I drive like a self-important pig-headed prick. I think a lot of people are the same.

The trouble is, everyone (including me) seems to be in too much of a hurry these days.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    oops
  • Options
    Once I see the "lane closed" signs (800/600 yards out) I usually make sure i'm in the inside lanes - I think its the height of selfishness to carry on to the last minute and try and barge your way in - we've all see the signs so why are YOU more important.......I've tried straddling the lanes as mentioned but unless a few other drivers do the same then it generally doesn't work.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross said:

This
  • Options
    Stig said:

The trouble is, everyone (including me) seems to be in too much of a hurry these days.

Was thinking the very same the other day. Why is everyone in a hurry these days??

And hurry up with your answer. I ain't got all day!

• Options
    I queue because it makes you live longer. Or at least it seems it.
  • Options
    I had one yesterday outside the Designer Outlet in Ashford. All sat in one lane and a taxi driver comes flying up the side to get in at the last minute. Unfortunately it was a car in front of me, and I was screaming at the bloke in front to not let him in. Unfortunately he did. Bastard.
  • Options
    The lane is there to be used, if they wanted you to be in a nice single line earlier then the cones would start earlier. Dont get me started on the t**** who straddle the lanes so you cant get past
  • Options
    CWLC: P*ss off !!
    (See you Saturday ?)
  • Options
    As a normally cool customer, I tend to join the queue, but I do get p*&^%d off with people constantly cutting in. I assume extreme cases, where the driver pushes it right up to where he or she is nudging into the cones, that they are in a desperate hurry - I'd hate to think they're just a*holes.
  • Options
    It's just taken me nearly an hour to get out of the car park at the Great South (a huge playing field) precisely because far too many self important, ignorant twunts felt that it was okay to weave in and out of the rows of parked cars to get as close to the front of the exit queue as poss before cutting in.

Same result as your describing really and I'm defo in the get in lane early and queue like you would in the post office camp.

• Options
    Last minute barger inner here I'm afraid
  • Options
    If it's a dual carriageway then use both lanes and merge in turn. if everyone did that then both lanes would queue together. I will always use the clear lane and merge when it goes to one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

Was thinking the very same the other day. Why is everyone in a hurry these days??

And hurry up with your answer. I ain't got all day!

:-)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    My understanding is that one should minimise queues by using the available roadspace. Once at the hazard give way alternately as the two lanes filter to one.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/multilane-carriageways-133-to-143

Needless to say most people do not do this hence the need for this thread!

• Options
    motorists who push in should be jailed for life with no parole.

might sound harsh but they wouldn't do it again.