Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The train I was just on hit and killed a woman

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
On the 16:37 train from Tottenham Hale going home to Harlow when about half way into the journey we came to a grinding halt only to find out the train hit and killed a woman crossing a level crossing at a place called Wormley. We sat there for 2 hours and none of it really sunk in till I come home, Feel awful and devestated now. Just saw what the crossing looks like online and what a disgrace. Thoughts go out to the family.
Just found this video of Wormley crossing from last year and not suprised this has happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNuWZHzyOZY

Comments

• Options
    Similar thing has happened to me a few years ago. I felt similar to you - took me a while to come to terms with it - obviously it is so much worse for the driver of the train and the relatives of the person who has been hit.
  • Options
    very very sad BUT why do you consider that crossing a disgrace?
  • Options
    Video looks fine to me
  • Options
    Because any kid or anyone could run across it at ease. If there was a barrier like the one near the oak at Charlton the these incidents wouldnt occur in my opinion.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Nicholas, a stiff drink is well in order I think fella.

In no way a criticism but genuinely interested as to what do you find about the crossing a disgrace?

It's got barriers and flashing lights, which would surely be enough to stop most people from crossing. Obviously if there was a malfunction or something tonight then fair enough but think all the warning signs are there for all to see.
  • Options
    I just assumed all barriers are like the one in charlton where you physically have to climb over it to get onto the track.
  • Options
    How weird, this exact same thing happened to me at Tenyham last week
  • Options
    Your point on kids is a good one Nicholas and you're right, they should all be like that.

A bit different for adults though and that's what I was thinking of.

Anyway, get yourself a strong beverage down your neck and try not to dwell on it fella, must have been a horrible situation.
  • Options
    Chers mate, might have to get the whisky out.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeh good point Nicholas regarding the barriers. Presumably it could have been a suicide rather than somebody getting caught nipping across, in which case barriers probably wouldnt have made a great difference? Terrible regardless.

On a separate point, and aside from the obvious answer of "any Charlton fan", who for the love of god would go to the trouble of videoing and then posting on Youtube that clip of a railway level crossing for christs sake?! Why!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Happened to me once... Kid on a bike with his headphones on. Massive shock, and it takes some time to get over it. Feel for you mate
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Yeh good point Nicholas regarding the barriers. Presumably it could have been a suicide rather than somebody getting caught nipping across, in which case barriers probably wouldnt have made a great difference? Terrible regardless.

That's a good point.

Chin up Nicholas. Nothing you could have done about it fella. But it does kinda put things into perspective.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Same here, might have been stood next to you waiting for a bus at Sittingbourne!
  • Options
    If I'd just had a life changing moment that had genuinely moved me I'd certainly look to spunk it all over the Internet at the first possible opportunity. This story is not about you.
  • Options
    Calm down Mortimerican, he probably just wanted to voice it somewhere to get it out a bit, nothing wrong with that.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Same here, might have been stood next to you waiting for a bus at Sittingbourne!
    Do you mean at Faversham?

• Options

If I'd just had a life changing moment that had genuinely moved me I'd certainly look to spunk it all over the Internet at the first possible opportunity. This story is not about you.

Dont try and mug me off you plum. How the f*ck is this about me, I thought I would share something that happened on the way home from work which was quite upsetting.

• Options
    edited October 2012

He has had a terrible experience today and he felt like sharing. There is no need to be aggressive about it. This is a forum, we are all Charlton supporters. Sometimes this feels like the best possible place to share something. Don't jump down his throat for that.
  • Options

Bizarre and unnecessary imo.
  • Options

Idiot.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

You sir are exactly what's wrong with the internet, not Nicholas. People have their own way of dealing with things and if this is how he vents it, or feels that doing this he can get help from other people, surely it's a good thing? Dark times Nic, I'm sorry to hear the news.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

No, we all had to wait at Sittingbourne. Maybe we were the one after or something then, but that wasn't the way it seemed from the announcements.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

No, we all had to wait at Sittingbourne. Maybe we were the one after or something then, but that wasn't the way it seemed from the announcements.
    Oh right. We had to wait at Faversham for buses TO Sittingbourne
  • Options
    Having worked on the railway, and in signal boxes with level crossing, I think that you would be truly shocked at the number of people willing to jump the lights to get across. I worked on a line with every type of crossing you can get. Full Barriers, half barriers, no barriers at all, manually closed gates, foot crossings, private crossings...you name them, they were there.
    People are prepared to risk it to save a few minutes. How many of us run to get across Charlton Lane crossing even though a footbridge is right beside it? I have had people jump over the gates to save 30 seconds.
    You will NEVER get a 100% safe crossing as long as people need to be somewhere quickly!
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Bit much isn't it ? He was just letting off a bit, poor lad is clearly upset by this incident.
  • Options

banter
  • Options
    usually find what you say pretty much spot on and quite funny morts, but thats a bit strong.
  • Options
    Suppose we shouldn't comment on the Kish thread either as it's not our wife that's died. How bizarre!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

What, you got hit by a train?

• Options

JaShea99 said:

What, you got hit by a train?

I usually feel like I have been on a Sunday morning. All self inflicted though.