Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton trying to tempt Crystal Palace boss Freedman into taking over Reebok reins

Palarse will show what a two bob club they really are if Freedman moves to Bolton. Though not sure why he could be unemployed in the summer if he stays. Are they possibly going to fold?
Bolton were on Saturday night locked in talks with Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman over becoming the next boss at The Reebok Stadium.
Chairman Phil Gartside made an official approach for 38-year-old Freedman after his club’s home game against Bristol City as he seeks to replace another Scot, Owen Coyle, who was sacked a fortnight ago.
Freedman is the current Championship manager of the month after guiding Palace to an excellent start to the season but is out of contract in the summer and has not been offered a new deal by chairman Steve Parish.
Bolton have made Freedman their top choice after holding talks with a number of other candidates including former Wolves boss Mick McCarthy.
The former Scotland international is a Palace legend, having scored more than 100 goals for the club in two different spells at Selhurst Park.
But the offer of a long-term contract managing a club who were in the Premier League last season is tempting, given that staying at Palace could see him unemployed in the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2220772/Bolton-want-Dougie-Freedman-manager.html#ixzz29wVDoiKP

Comments

• if so, then what about CP to Palace and we can then get a new manager who knows how to attack.........
  • if so, then what about CP to Palace and we can then get a new manager who knows how to attack.........

Wow! wonder what sort of comment thats going to get! Where's me tin hat!
  • It's golfie looking for a reaction ignore and move on

By playing Ruben Bover. Yep.

I wondered where my Blue Touch Paper had gone....

• Who cares

100 + goals last season and you give him 10 games
  • edited October 2012
    100 + goals last season and you give him 10 games

I'll think you'll find it was 101 POINTS last season - I've no idea the no. of goals, I could check but can't be bothered - I would estimate about 70 or something, and probably less than the other 2 sides that got promoted last season and less than a few other League 1 teams. I would also wager that we were champions with fewest goals than most other teams over the last 10 or 15 years.

Then again I can't blame just CP - its a Charlton thing generally. I've been supporting CAFC for 35 years and never seen us trounced anyone. I did miss the 6-2 game v Southampton in 1976 and even last year when we were the "all conquering" League 1 champions we never hammered anyone.........I think we only scored 5 twice last season, once when we were 4-0 up at h/t !

• Golfie cares about Charlton I don't doubt that and is entitled to his opinion more than most due to the amount of hours he puts in going to games

But that was bollox
  • It's ironic that a few Palace fans in August wanted Freedman out after their poor start to the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good manager
  • So he's gone then. LOL
  • edited October 2012
    In response to the CP dig......dumbest generalisation ever! Sick of people going 'we're no good at this, we're no good at that, we can't do this and we can't do that.' In the words of Denis Leary....."Life sucks grab a helmet." Might as well give up living mate cos we ain't gonna be the next Barcelona for a good few millenia. But we will always be Charlton.
  • dizzee said:

Very good manager

Based on what?
  • I think it speaks volumes about what is going on at Palace, the first offer that came in for him he walked and to Bolton too who are in real trouble.
  • He saw this flag and thought F it I'm off!
  • edited October 2012

if so, then what about CP to Palace and we can then get a new manager who knows how to attack.........

Like Curbs? ;-p
  • edited October 2012
    Very strange piece of business by Bolton. DF has no real track record to suggest he's going to make it as a manager other than ten games this season. Can't blame him for jumping at the chance of bigger money though. Palace will be ok. Well run and stable club now with a decent amount of dosh heading their way in January when Zaha leaves.
  • Palace will be ok. Well run and stable club

Are they though? If they were then why would he be so eager to leave? Managers surely look to career rather than short term gain. He must know about Bolton's £120m debt, all he is going to do there is manage decline and that will have an impact on his ongoing ability to find work. I dont know if Palace are a well run club or not but, it points to something not quite right in the background (or DF is stupid).

On the upside for us then new man will get rid of Lennie and he can come back here as an advisor, it's all good!
  • edited October 2012
    He was just embarrassed by the whole Ultra thing. I would assume (as we all only can) that Palarse are in the same situation as most medium sized Championship clubs, pretty dire. Smacks of Doogie cashing in to me. Good luck to him anyway, you can't blame the fella ! Oi, Lennie, Curbs NO !!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2012
    For the record we scored 82 in the league last year.

Brighton scored 85 the season before and Norwich 89 the season before so hardly much of a difference.
  • Bolton will get parachute payments, Palarse are lucky to get 13,000 in at ShitHurst.

Bolton have a far bigger pool of talent + staff etc
    Palarse are lucky to get the tap fixed in the away fans toilets.

• edited October 2012
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dD1NuTpFR0
  • Creepy (but highly ethical and professional) Cawley tweeting that Bolton's approach for assistants Lawrence and Curtis has been rejected.

As was the first approach for Freedman of course.
  • Bolton and Palace still not reached agreement over compo for Lennie and Curtis (according to Mr highly professional on twitter)
  • matter of time before LL goes to Bolton
  • lolwray said:

matter of time before LL goes to Bolton

Not if he has a chance at the managers job at palace................
  • lolwray said:

matter of time before LL goes to Bolton

Not if he has a chance at the managers job at palace. Not got too many years left in the game, a chance at managing at championship level in an area close to home. I know what I'd choose........
  • Lennie gone but Curtis Fleming still around (for now) and will manage the team this Saturday along with Paddy McCarthorse and Jamie Fullerton.