Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Messi

Anyone who doubts he's the best player in the world should see the hat trick goal he's just scored. Best player I've ever seen.

Comments

• Options
    More importantly , why are the Barcelona players all dressed up as rocket ice lollies?
  • Options
    When you score 4 at home you expect to win ..
  • Options
    Best away kit ever
  • Options
    Caught the last half hour of this ..... wonderful goal to complete his hatrick but the best finish was the delicate lob by the barca defender for the og
  • Options
    who did they play ?
  • Options
    Yawn...
  • Options

Yawn...

Tired ?
  • Options

Yawn...

Tired ?
    Bored. No interest in Leroy's team, or it's players.
  • Options
    Amazing game, felt sorry for Depor-when Messi scored his third it was just like he decided he wanted to score another, so that's just what he did.

Surely by the end of his career he'll be regarded as the greatest of all time ?
  • Options
    If he conquers the international stage with Argentina, surely that's on his to do list...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't buy the argument that he needs to dominate a world cup to be considered a great. This is often an accusation levelled at him by people who think Pele or Maradona was the best player ever - but international football is completely different to when they were playing - witness the often dire defensive shite that prevailed in the last two world cups for evidence.
  • Options
    Another key difference for me is that realistically how many times would you have seen Pele or to an extent Maradona play (not just highlights but 90 mins of football) ? A few games every four years I'd imagine.

Every time Messi kicks a ball it's broadcast live around the world, we see every single game he plays and he is consistently amazing in most of them.
  • Options
    He could probably do a job in the middle of the park for us if he learned how to raise his game and link up with Pritch and Hollands effectively.

Not sure if he'd cut it in the Championship though as unproven at this level.

• Options

He could probably do a job in the middle of the park for us if he learned how to raise his game and link up with Pritch and Hollands effectively.

Not sure if he'd cut it in the Championship though as unproven at this level.

Fails the CL Height Test surely?
  • Options
    A lot of these pundits who harp on about "he needs to do it at international level" seem to have the meanings of 'best' and 'greatest' mixed up.

Pele and Maradona may have won more World Cups but then members of the Saudi Arabian squad have played in more major international tournaments than Ryan Giggs and George Best.

I never watched Pele or Maradona regularly, but I do find it incredibly hard to believe anybody would have been better, They would have to be super-human.

21 career hat-tricks by the age of 25. Frightening.
  • Options
    When are we signing him?
  • Options
    Pele spent most of his club career playing against local Sao Paulo sides. Brazil never had a national league until the last 2-3 years of his career there. Be a bit like Arsenal and Chelsea playing against Barnet and Dagenham every other week. Ok he won 3 world cups but in 62 he played one game and i think the 1970 side were good enough to have won it without him anyway.

I'd say Maradona's achievements in almost single handedly winning the 86 world cup for Argentina and then Serie A for Napoli, were better for me.

Messi will surpass both of these players without a doubt.

• Options
    The players he plays with every week is a big advantage to him. Not taking anything away he is the best player in the world, but I'm sure Argentina could do with him playing the way he does for Barca.
  • Options
    cafctom said: A lot of these pundits who harp on about "he needs to do it at international level" seem to have the meanings of 'best' and 'greatest' mixed up.

Pele and Maradona may have won more World Cups but then members of the Saudi Arabian squad have played in more major international tournaments than Ryan Giggs and George Best.

I never watched Pele or Maradona regularly, but I do find it incredibly hard to believe anybody would have been better, They would have to be super-human.

21 career hat-tricks by the age of 25. Frightening.

Couldn't agree more he is a magical player. Heard (I think Hansen and Shearer) pundits go on about doing the business for Argentina bollocks they are the same ones who try and convince us Wayne Rooney is world class!

Maradona was a true football genius but flawed personally and Pele never tested himself club wise at a higher level but for sure he was fantastic but somehow I think Messi will surpass them both.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

The players he plays with every week is a big advantage to him. Not taking anything away he is the best player in the world, but I'm sure Argentina could do with him playing the way he does for Barca.

It hat helped that the last two coaches haven't had a clue what they're doing. It's starting to look like Argentina are starting to find a way of accommodating the embarrassment of riches they have at their disposal although saying that there have been a couple of false dawns over the years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Messi's surpassed both by miles in my opinion as has ronaldo, think theyre the 2 best players ever.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

His national form has improved now they have a manger who knows what he's doing and made Messi captain. 16 goals in his last 21 internationals over the past 2 seasons.
  • Options

Messi's surpassed both by miles in my opinion as has ronaldo, think theyre the 2 best players ever.

This, plus Zidane.

• Options
    Sorry, I thought this thread was about our tactical coaching.
  • Options
    Amazing player, I watched him in the Spanish cup against Seville at the Nou Camp. Watching him live is different to watching him on the box you get to see all his runs and how he changes games with certain decisions.

Without a doubt the best player the world has ever seen in my opinion. Better then Zidane, Pele, Marradona and Ronaldo