Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

1-0 to the plebs

Andrew Mitchell has resigned.

Comments

• Options
    Had little choice to be honest
  • Options
    o.g. A Mitchell..... Red card for foul and abusive Language
  • Options
    Good Ridance
  • Options
    Not been following this particularly closely but seems to be a total non-story to me. You may not like his poloitics (I know I certainly don't) but the guy had a high stress job, lost his temper and later aplogised which was accepted by the injured party. End of the issue in my opinion and pretty pathetic that people feel it's a) appropriate and b) seem to be taking relish in hounding a man out of his job over something so petty.
  • Options
    Has he?
  • Options

Not been following this particularly closely but seems to be a total non-story to me. .

Bang on.

Let's have a soap opera story to distract the plebs from what is really going on in the world.

Same with the racism stuff in football (to a degree) or whatever the "scandal" of the week is....distract the mug punters and maybe they'll not noticed how ripped off they are getting.

Makes my nuts shrivel with dispair and apathy.
  • Options

Not been following this particularly closely but seems to be a total non-story to me. You may not like his poloitics (I know I certainly don't) but the guy had a high stress job, lost his temper and later aplogised which was accepted by the injured party. End of the issue in my opinion and pretty pathetic that people feel it's a) appropriate and b) seem to be taking relish in hounding a man out of his job over something so petty.

He changed his story at least twice and was cycling out of Downing Street when he was asked to take a slightly different route - if he can't deal with that sort of stress then I don't think he should be in government.

• Options
    Pretty sure if I call a Police officer a F**king Pleb I'd get knicked sharpish.
  • Options
    Bye bye 'Thrasher'.
  • Options
    Made my day. Justice for the ordinary man. Why did it take weeks of hand-wringing and excuse-searching. My bet is he will be back within 12 months in another top job just like the string of others just to prove they all have their snouts in the trough together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He changed his story at least twice and was cycling out of Downing Street when he was asked to take a slightly different route - if he can't deal with that sort of stress then I don't think he should be in government.

Maybe, maybe not. Sufficient grounds for a witch hunt?
  • Options

Because he is in parliament that is why, if it was a labour MP the conservatives would have wanted him gone as well. Pretty sad really!
  • Options

Hardly a witch hunt, you try calling a policman a "fucking pleb" and let me know how you get on.

• Options

Hardly a witch hunt, you try calling a policman a "fucking pleb" and let me know how you get on.

Well I wouldn't be forced to resign from my job, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Also, i doubt anyone on here can claim they've never lost their temper at an inappropriate moment, over something petty and with an innocent bystander.

Of course, beacuse he's in the public eye though, he's not allowed to be human.
  • Options
    Hang the Tory f****r!
  • Options

Well I wouldn't be forced to resign from my job, that's for sure.
    You might if a criminal record impacted on your ability to do your job and you almost certainly would have to resign if you worked in government or a job that requires winning the trust and confidence of the public. But I'm sure you know best...

• Options
    Silly arse should have just said "Ok, it happened, it shouldn't have and I apologise unreservedly for what I said in the heat of the moment". That would have done it, but all the half-truths and cover up is what did for him.
  • Options
    Well the day criminal records start getting handed out for swearing we're all screwed.
  • Options

Also, i doubt anyone on here can claim they've never lost their temper at an inappropriate moment, over something petty and with an innocent bystander.

Of course, beacuse he's in the public eye though, he's not allowed to be human.

Sorry I have been pretty peed off with the police before but not sworn at them or called them plebs and arguably Mitchell has better breeding than me.

Goernment Ministers and officers of all political parties have to set an example of how to treat the rest of society. In Mitchels case he is the Tory policeman so how can he generate respect if he fails to show respect for authority
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i do recall an inebriated Charlton Charlie saying something similar to the biggest copper he could find up at Middlesborough once, fortunately I think CC's southern accent was lost on the effing pleb as no further action was taken....
  • Options
    What did it for me was his claim that he had had a hard day - when actually he had been at a long "working" lunch.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Silly arse should have just said "Ok, it happened, it shouldn't have and I apologise unreservedly for what I said in the heat of the moment". That would have done it, but all the half-truths and cover up is what did for him.

Agreed. The minute he starts chopping and changing his story he was toast and there's enough people in his own party that were gunning for him he was never going to ride it out really. He almost got there but just couldn't help himself during PMQT this week. Dave backs another loser eh?
  • Options
    Next up...George Osborne buys a second class rail ticket and takes a seat in a first class compartment. An aide claims that he "couldn't possibly sit in a standard compartment".
  • Options
    Thought this was another Wednesday thread
  • Options
    Omnishambles. Where's Malcolm Tucker?
  • Options
    I've completely changed my view on this the longer I've had to think about it.

My initial reaction was what an arrogant, condescending git and who the hell does he think he is!

But then I read the details and it is apparent that the copper was just being a jobsworth in insisting he went through a side gate with his bike rather than the main gate and if we are honest we all get irritated by people in all walks of life who forget who they are meant to be serving and abuse their little bit of power.

It will come as no surprise to me if we see a thread about jobsworth stewards going for soft targets after Saturday's game rather than the people they should pursue and in a sense it is the same thing.

I suppose something had to happen "pour encourager les autres" but I (almost) feel sympathy for him and I wouldn't have said that when it happened.

The bigger issue is that we are in danger of sleepwalking into a police state and this is just a small example of how the police can abuse their powers in my view.
  • Options

Hang the Tory f****r!

the voice of Labour reason.
  • Options

Made my day. Justice for the ordinary man. Why did it take weeks of hand-wringing and excuse-searching. My bet is he will be back within 12 months in another top job just like the string of others just to prove they all have their snouts in the trough together.

Took John Terry 361 days of hand-wringing & excuse-searching & he'll be back in a couple of weeks!!!

:-/
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Next up...George Osborne buys a second class rail ticket and takes a seat in a first class compartment. An aide claims that he "couldn't possibly sit in a standard compartment".

That to me is worse.

Buying a ticket, by definition, is a premeditated action. Mitchell, rightly or wrongly, was reacting spontaneously.

If the aide thinks Georgie Porgie needs a first class seat then why not buy him one in the first place?

Valley Gary is George Osborne! :-)