Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Footballers and Drink-Driving

edited October 2012 in General Charlton
The numbers of footballers who get done for drink driving and speeding does seem to be very high. Peter Crouch is the latest high profile player to get done and rightly so. He has a shocking record of speeding and total disregard for the driving laws of this country. He doesn`t turn up in court and he also never discloses who is actually driving at the time.

Do these people actually believe that their status and income puts them above the law?

I know loads of other people do it but as a profession the numbers are very high.

Comments

• Think Crouch just likes the feel of the wind in his hair with his head out the sunroof
  • I think it's just because it is reported in the media that we know of more drink driving cases that involve footballers than any other profession.
  • When they get fined half a day's pay in the courts then it's no wonder they don't care.
  • The best statistic I could find is from Denmark but it is interesting. 7% of ALL male drivers under the age of 27 will get done for drink driving at some time or another.
    I doubt the statistic for professional footballers gets anywhere near that figure, so I'd say the number is very low not very high.
    And from the UK - 90% of all excess alcohol convictions are for male drivers. In a way, as footballers are about the only profession that can ever again afford the increased insurance premiums, it's quite something that there are not more. I suppose most are sensible enough just to call their chauffeur and get picked up if they've had a beverage or two.
    As for Peter Crouch - I'd get pissed if I had to travel into Stoke every day.
  • To clarify, Crouch has got his points for speeding rather than drink driving.
  • edited October 2012
    i would speed away from Stoke so Under stand Crouchies problem
  • Crouch should be sent down for life and put in a zoo
  • Newcastle United midfielder Joelinton has been banned from driving and fined £29,000 after admitting drink-driving.

Police arrested the Brazilian player after pulling over his Mercedes at 01:20 GMT on 12 January in Newcastle.

A breath test showed the 26-year-old had 43mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath, above the legal limit of 35mg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-64412529

• clive said:

Newcastle United midfielder Joelinton has been banned from driving and fined £29,000 after admitting drink-driving.

Police arrested the Brazilian player after pulling over his Mercedes at 01:20 GMT on 12 January in Newcastle.

A breath test showed the 26-year-old had 43mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath, above the legal limit of 35mg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-64412529

They should have held the court case in Cornwall