Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The British

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
Anyone been watching this on sky Atlantic ? enjoying it.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent really enjoyed it
  • Options
    i thought it was a load of twaddle
  • Options
    Watched it and can't believe it was called the British when it was almost exclusively about the English
  • Options
    I have.

I think it's been pretty good but we have such a fantastic history it needed more parts/episodes to it.
  • Options
    Not enough violence gh?
  • Options
    BBC ---"The Story of Wales"
    History Channel ---"The Scots at War"
    Channel 4----- " Made in Scotland"

and we get someone moaning about The British being all about the English---------------FFS
  • Options
    Archie Gemmil getting that goal in the world cup covers scotlands history gh
  • Options
    Nolly i thought it was all over the place ---some bits only just about got mentioned and as you say not enough burning and pillaging (sic) we after all descended from Vikings and Saxons etc (f++k William the Bastard and all the Normans)
  • Options

BBC ---"The Story of Wales"
    History Channel ---"The Scots at War"
    Channel 4----- " Made in Scotland"

and we get someone moaning about The British being all about the English---------------FFS

Do you understand that The British is the name of the show ?
  • Options
    i do now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another mind educated !
  • Options
    The puritans were a boring bunch
  • Options
    Oliver Cromwell------------the paddies love him.
  • Options
    Isn't this the programme that interviews the likes of Russell Brand about medieval history? Load of rubbish and I'm a history nut.
  • Options

Isn't this the programme that interviews the likes of Russell Brand about medieval history? Load of rubbish and I'm a history nut.

To be fair having a reasonable grasp of history was probably a severe disadvantage when watching this show
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    what many dont no GH is that many of his killings in Ireland were prodestants who were non puritan he hated them as much
  • Options
    he hated everyone Nolly------------kinda like the guy !
  • Options
    even though i have irish in me i think he was the greatest Englishman
  • Options
    It is a bit English heavy in fairness, well produced doc though.
  • Options
    nolly said:

even though i have irish in me i think he was the greatest Englishman

I'll beg to differ.
    Sir Francis Drake, sailed round the world with a few hundred men and took liberties wherever they went. Even today the bogeyman in Spanish childrens stories is `El Draco'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    glorified pirate baldy not in cromwells league
  • Options
    nolly said:

glorified pirate baldy not in cromwells league

Can I ask why you rate Cromwell so highly ?
  • Options
    got rid of the royals
  • Options
    Olly said:

It is a bit English heavy in fairness, well produced doc though.

We do make up 80+% of the population of the British Isles though. Have not seen the series yet, will save up and watch in one hit on a cold winters day, so cannot comment on the content any more than that.
  • Options
    nolly said:

got rid of the royals

With you on that !

However I think his reputation may have been undermined by the savagery and all that.
  • Options
    nolly said:

got rid of the royals

Which is something he desperately didn't want to do. The republic was not maintainable without a monarch.

• Options

nolly said:

got rid of the royals

Which is something he desperately didn't want to do. The republic was not maintainable without a monarch.

Contradiction in terms surely?

• Options
    Problem with the programme is the interviews with celebs. Helen Mirren giving her opinion on the ancient Britons and although I did not see this one a mate told it had Frank Lampard discussing viking raids on Essex.
  • Options
    nolly said:

got rid of the royals

Didn't he get rid of Christmas too?
  • Options
    edited October 2012

nolly said:

got rid of the royals

Which is why his son succeeded him.

No time for him, one of the best things about England has been the comparative lack of religious nutters in power. He was one of the exceptions.