Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For Every Jonjo Shelvey

Almost exactly three years ago Tamer Tuna scored for us against Barnet before being substituted by Jonjo. Naturally, Tamer (and his family and friends) would, at that time, have had the same aspirations and hopes as that of Jonjo.

Earlier this season I saw that Tamer was on trial at Cray Wanderers. Subsequently, he appears to have left them and played half a dozen games for Erith Town in the Kent League. I'm not sure he's even got a Club now.

In the week that Jonjo makes his England debut (and we quite rightly celebrate the fact) it is perhaps a sad fact that for every Jonjo there are a hundred Tamers. And because we all build up and embrace young talent that must be so incredibly hard for the likes of Tamer to take when things simply don't work out.

Comments

• was it ken from bexley knew of tamer ?
  • Shame, I thought he would have done well, but I suppose being let go by a big team could make or break you, I do some work with Ben Godfrey who was let go by us a few years ago and although he hasn't hit the heights of playing with a football league club, I think it's either Banstead or whyteleafe he's at now and has his own soccer training school which is quite popular and seems to be still actively enjoying his football and making a living from it.

Look at the Youth Cup line ups from January 1999 - although we lost (I think), at least playing for Charlton's youth team you had a decent chance of making a career....but for Palace how many made it ( I haven't looked it up!)
  • was it ken from bexley knew of tamer ?

Yes.
  • Oakster said:

...but for Palace how many made it ( I haven't looked it up!)

Only Richard Harris who was magnificent in A Man Called Horse.
  • Oakster said:

Look at the Youth Cup line ups from January 1999 - although we lost (I think), at least playing for Charlton's youth team you had a decent chance of making a career....but for Palace how many made it ( I haven't looked it up!)

kabba probably most famous of them

• Oakster said:

I'd say Steven Hunt is a fair bit more well known in all honesty.

• I'd say Steven Hunt is a fair bit more well known in all honesty.

Good spot, especially as they spelt his name wrong.
  • Stig said:

Oakster said:

...but for Palace how many made it ( I haven't looked it up!)

Only Richard Harris who was magnificent in A Man Called Horse.
    Mark Nicholas captained Hampshire CCC and commentates now....
  • But that was after he went to Brentford!
  • Sponsored links:

• Three future England internationals and three others who have made a good career out of football in that line up. That is a very impressive strike rate!
  • simon ford moved to scotland didnt he and had a good few years up there playing for fairly well knon teams, and jason brown has had a good few league clubs.
  • oh and izzet and macdonald still very useful league players
  • buckshee said:

Oakster said:

yer didnt realise it was him.
  • eldavide said:

Good spot, especially as they spelt his name wrong.

They spelt Judas wrong too
  • Oakster said:

Think there No.4 ended up winning gold in the cycling at the olympics. Who would have guessed it.

• Oakster said:

Think there No.4 ended up winning gold in the cycling at the olympics. Who would have guessed it.

chris
  • The number 16 for us back then is starting up front for England tonight as well BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • So three from that squad went on to play for England.

Not bad.
  • Addickted said:

So three from that squad went on to play for England.

Not bad.

Didn't Jason Brown play for Wales too?

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Addickted said:

So three from that squad went on to play for England.

Not bad.

Didn't Jason Brown play for Wales too?

He did indeed - on three occasions.

• We currently have 3 regular England Internationals in Defoe, Parker and Shelvey (remains to be seen but lets face it he will be) How many other clubs can say that at the moment, not even the supposed "academy of football" has managed it!
  • Olly said:

We currently have 3 regular England Internationals in Defoe, Parker and Shelvey (remains to be seen but lets face it he will be) How many other clubs can say that at the moment, not even the supposed "academy of football" has managed it!

Even more reason to join Valley Gold.
    Clearly the money we have put in produces the goods.

• Olly said:

We currently have 3 regular England Internationals in Defoe, Parker and Shelvey (remains to be seen but lets face it he will be) How many other clubs can say that at the moment, not even the supposed "academy of football" has managed it!

Hmm... well they have.. Glen Johnson, Michael Carrick, Frank Lampard,
  • Soon to be four with Jenkinson, who is (queue abuse) better than Solly.
  • Anyone know what Tosan Popo does know?
    From looking at twitter/facebook it seems he has too much time on his hands to be playing football at the moment.
  • Popo is constantly on Twitter not doing a lot.
  • Don't think Popo is playing.
  • He said on twitter a few weeks ago he is playing college football in Miami in January. Must have a scholarship.
  • charltonJ said:

He said on twitter a few weeks ago he is playing college football in Miami in January. Must have a scholarship.

Sounds like a very nice little gig!