Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welcome To India

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
BBC documentary series, just watched Episode 2. Amazing insight, brilliantly done. We have it so easy.

Comments

• Options
    Great programme, if you know what I mean. Also quite moving to see the lives some people have to lead. A different world to the life we live in the UK!
  • Options
    Worked there a few years ago (2008), Bangalore, Chennai in the main....there is a very marked difference between the 'haves' and 'have nots'....there is no 'in-between'......yet they work so hard just for a bowl of rice to keep family fed...the poor in the UK, in the main, would be quite well off in some parts of India.
  • Options
    yes I worked there on and off over a 10 year period and agree with Red, but also the majority of haves could not care a less for the have nots. Also in the cities it seems that everyone speaks English but the stat is that in the country as a whole less than 10% speak English, it is such a large country and that also is hard to comprehend.
  • Options
    Watched it last week at me mates place, we loved it an all. Fella melts animal fat for a living!
  • Options
    Indeed it is an amazing insight.

Whenever I hear one of last years rioters use the " we're poor the goverment hate us " as an excuse for going on a rampage, maybe they should be shipped out to India for a week to try and get by over there.

• Options
    Jarman said:

Whenever I hear one of last years rioters use the " we're poor the goverment hate us " as an excuse for going on a rampage, maybe they should be shipped out to India for a week to try and get by over there.

LOL, are you a Tory MP?

• Options
    India is on my bucket list
  • Options
    mate the only list you will be having for a good few years is a "bucket and spade" list of a "mother care" list-- fast aproaching ---hope everything is good mate?
  • Options

mate the only list you will be having for a good few years is a "bucket and spade" list of a "mother care" list-- fast aproaching ---hope everything is good mate?

LOL, true, all good fellas thanks

• Options
    Jarman said:

Perhaps we could swap our poor, unemployed etc for onion bhargees, kormas, vindaloos..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those who don't know me, my wife is Indian, so we always enjoy these sorts of documentaries. The best one we've watched so far was "The story of India" presented by an English historian called Micheal Wood. There are boring bits but it's a fascinating look at India through the ages and their place in history.
  • Options

For those who don't know me, my wife is Indian,

so's mine, can yours cook 'cos mine can't.

• Options
    the train journeys through India which was on TV not long ago ways very good.
  • Options

She's not bad. I'm probably better. Mother in law's here at the moment though so I'm not even allowed to wash up never mind cook.
  • Options

Jarman said:

LOL, are you a Tory MP?

Do you feel weird when you use 'LOL' ?

• Options

She's not bad. I'm probably better. Mother in law's here at the moment though so I'm not even allowed to wash up never mind cook.
    sounds tough.
  • Options
    Went 4 times between 1990 and 1994 - spent 18 months there.

Its a fucking great place - the people are shit hot and there is never a dull moment. You come home with a real sense of both how lucky and unlcuky we are. Lucky in that there is awful awful poverty/deformity the like of which we never see. Unlucky in that we dont live in such a beautiful place and have such a good attitude to that poverty.
  • Options
    Twelve years ago went there with £2000 cash in my bag, camera, north face gear, took a local bus, got lost and wandered through villages where the most expensive visible possession was an old scooter, asking for directions. Never felt in any danger at all and met nothing but helpful interest.
  • Options
    watched both programmes - ist one showed a bloke getting up before dawn to dig up the muck from the drains and bag it all up - sold 4 or 5 bags of the "mud" for about £20 as they contained minute particles of gold ..............someone then carefully sifted out the gold from all the other bags of "mud" that he had bought and eventually smelted it down into a single bit of gold. So time consuming & b****y filty work.

As mentioned earlier, perhaps some of our so called poor could spend a cople of weeks doing that for their "hand-outs" - thety may think twice aboiut saying how bad thet have got it !! I taped both porogrammes & made my kids watch it to show how lucky they are - they were amazed how some families lived on beaches and all slept together in one room !!