Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amsterdam

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
Going Amsterdam to see Swedish house mafia Dec 7th. Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on prices for out there and experiences.

Comments

• Options
    I was there last weekend. I have aussie mates living there. Prices for what Mikey?
  • Options
    drinking and the cafes really. You have a good time?
  • Options
    White Widow.
  • Options
    Been there several times. Can't remember a thing.
  • Options
    For food you can't beat some of the Indonesian restraunts out there, food was that good it inspired me to go to Bali....3 times.
  • Options
    Haven't been for a while so can't comment on prices these days.

For food, as Hastings says, go Indonesian. You can get a 10 course (or something like that) Rijsttafel which is a medley of foods from the different indonesian islands.

Drinking - try Genever, a gin based liquer flavoured with fruits.

Experiences - depends on your tastes, but cultural would be:

Cycling tour of the old city and all it's canals (or just walk them they are very lovely)
    Canal cruise
    Rijksmuseum
    Van Gogh museum
    Ann Frank house
    Visit the old town of Maarken, or the more modern town of Volendam - outside the city

If you want something a bit livelier, load of bars and clubs and of course the red light district. Watch out for sticky ping pong balls dropping in your beer.....
  • Options
    http://www.iamsterdam.com/

^^^ This site is good, has lots of stuff on there. Can't advise on drink prices as I don't really drink out there :-D

Loads of Steak restaurants, varying standards and varying prices!

Get a tram card or walk about places.

Not sure where you are staying but there is life outside the Red Light zone! Rembrantsplein and Leidersplein are good for bars/food/smoke.

If you do plan to visit Anne Frank's House, either pre-book online or be prepared to queue for hours.

Haarlem is good for some time out of the city, it's about 15mins on the train.

Would recommend a canal cruise, hop on from near Centraal Station, around 8 euros for an hour of sitting back and chilling out :-)
  • Options
    been there 5 times. very expensive though. for a cheap night and unforgettable night go to a shop off dam square called alien visitors. they sell interesting vegetables for about 15 euro. you won't need anything else that night. just enjoy the journey, #smartshops
  • Options
    dave85 said:

been there 5 times. very expensive though. for a cheap night and unforgettable night go to a shop off dam square called alien visitors. they sell interesting vegetables for about 15 euro. you won't need anything else that night. just enjoy the journey, #smartshops

Dave for those of us who've led a sheltered life. What do you do with an interesting vegatable?
  • Options
    been quite a few times, the Jordaan area is quite quiet and central, you can also hire a houseboat http://www.houseboat-rental-amsterdam.com/ as a good alternative to the hostels/hotels, if there is a group of you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dave85 said:

Dave for those of us who've led a sheltered life. What do you do with an interesting vegatable?
    mushrooms of magical abilities.
  • Options

dave85 said:

If you're a rugby player, shove it up your mates arse.
  • Options
    Thankyou Daves, i'm glad i asked.
  • Options
    Was there in August, stayed out near Vondelpark. Rembrandt square is good for a couple of hours on an evening. Plenty of bars, Bush Doctor coffeeshop is worth a visit for the OG Kush. Utrechtstraat runs off it and that street is home to several decent restaurants such as Golden Temple if you fancy meat-free or there's a decent Mexican place where the Long Island Ice Tea is waaay too strong.
    Leidsplein is a good place to eat, drink and party as well.
    Take a walk along the Prinsengracht canal, quiet and peaceful.
    Not a cheap city, mind the cyclists and have a great time. You'll love it.
  • Options
    The ugly ones are cheaper.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

The ugly ones are cheaper.

And they work harder (if you know what I mean).
  • Options
    The search function is handy
  • Options
    As is Febo
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

White Widow.

SPot on. AINt been for years but that was always the best

• Options

drinking and the cafes really. You have a good time?

yep! Love it everytime I go. Went to an Ajax game, mate is a season ticket holder. The fella's have covered most of it all Mikey. Enjoy! The Heineken museum is great too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heading to Amsterdam tomorrow with the boys for the weekend. I'm Looking for some recommendations Bars,Restaurants maybe take in a show, its one chaps Bday.
    Cheers
  • Options
    If you come across a guy who looks like Dirk Kuyt's older brother looking to sell you a sex show for 50 Euros, turn him down. Mugged about 10 of us off last year when we got a 'show' that lasted no more than 10 minutes!
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up cafctom.
  • Options
    Horrible sleazy scummy place, full of lowlifes.

Or at least it was when we were there!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Heading to Amsterdam tomorrow with the boys for the weekend. I'm Looking for some recommendations Bars,Restaurants maybe take in a show, its one chaps Bday.
    Cheers

Liza plane, red light, Rembrandt square, dam square.

If you get shroomed up then ensure 1 person stays soberish, trust me.

Its expensive. Really expensive.

• Options
    Quality city.