Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley / the glades.

edited October 2012 in Not Sports Related
Went shopping yesterday and despite it only being a few weeks since my last visit there I notice loads more shops springing up.

Apple store already open and toys r us and sole trader about to. Plus office has moved . Makes you wonder if we in as big a recession as everyone thinks.

Comments

• Options
    I guess they are all well off companies run by well off people, they will now be even better off as they take advantage of low rents? Ain't no recession for the rich...
  • Options
    That's the thing. We are meant to be in a worldwide recession yet Apple are one of the biggest company's around despite their products being quite overpriced.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

That's the thing. We are meant to be in a worldwide recession yet Apple are one of the biggest company's around despite their products being quite overpriced.

We all know people who fall for the hype though mate?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Thing is I imagine a lot of people have still been putting things on credit and whilst it's easy to bash the banks (and rightly so to an extent) I've not really noticed many people really reigning in the spending in the last 4 or so years....everytime ive been to Bromley it's been rammed each week and everyone seems to have the latest iphone/ sky tv/ holidays etc and this includes people who would not be considered rich.

I never had a credit card til about 3 years ago and yet stupidly got one myself just because i wanted things NOW and didnt want to save and be sensible about it. Find it hard to bash the banks too much myself when I take advantage of things like that.

Missus and her mum got made redundant a couple of years back but got jobs within a month and I dont really know anyone personally who has really been massively effected in a manner that wasnt existent in the times of boom when people were made redundant then etc.

Maybe it's just because I only really see London and the South East but I've not seen the bread queues that were predicted down here really and if I hadnt watched the news or read the papers for the past few years I wouldnt have even known we were in a recession.

I think the things that are really hurting people are the prices of fuel, utilities and increases in food etc but down in this part of the world the spending on luxury items and non essentials seems to be in continuance.

Few weeks in the build up to Christmas the shops will be rammed with people fighting to buy crap they dont really need to indulge themselves probably a lot on credit before spending another year tutting at how the bankers have stiched us all up whilst simultaneously absolving themselves from any accountability whatsoever.
  • Options
    Shopping centres will also take on alot of short term leases around this time of year. See how many of them are still around in Feb
  • Options
    Well I should think the toys r us and apple will be. Far too big and kitted out stores not to.
  • Options
    What if the children want to run down those double-line floor patterns pretending to be a train? 
  • Options
    Ah, but what do you class a "child" and an "adult". 

National Rail say you are not a child once you are 16.

Age of consent is 16. Although age for sending explicit material is 18.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    What if the children want to run down those double-line floor patterns pretending to be a train? 
    Typical Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah, but what do you class a "child" and an "adult". 

National Rail say you are not a child once you are 16.

Age of consent is 16. Although age for sending explicit material is 18.

The article said 16.
  • Options
    I should think those that were involved in the injuries of 4 police persons, would take a lot of notice of a banning order.

• Options
    Friday 21st only. 

• Options
    edited July 2023
    There is absolute mayhem every time the "kids" break up at the end of term/half term and has been getting worse for a few years.
    They run around fighting each other, assaulting shop workers, riding bikes through the Glades and the security stand and watch because they are not allowed to handle them.
    We're talking about tens/a hundred or more,not a handful.
    I couldn't say with any certainty but I suggest a significant number may go to school in Bromley but live outside of central Bromley/the borough.
  • Options
    By all means kick out the trouble makers, but how can this be fair on the decent kids, who I assume make up the vast majority.  

If an element of trust is not afforded to them, a resentment will fester, leading to an even bigger problem down the road. 
    This.

You just can't ban everyone under 16 from entering a shopping mall.

Ridiculous. 

• Options
    By all means kick out the trouble makers, but how can this be fair on the decent kids, who I assume make up the vast majority.  

If an element of trust is not afforded to them, a resentment will fester, leading to an even bigger problem down the road. 
    This.

Ridiculous. 

They're not though
  • Options
    There is absolute mayhem every time the "kids" break up at the end of term/half term and has been getting worse for a few years.
    They run around fighting each other, assaulting shop workers, riding bikes through the Glades and the security stand and watch because they are not allowed to handle them.
    I couldn't say with any certainty but I suggest a significant number may go to school in Bromley but live outside of central Bromley/the borough.
    Loads on either the 227, 358 and 208 buses.
    Have been of the opinion for a while that Bromley is getting increasingly like Croydon.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

This.

Ridiculous. 

I repeat it's absolute mayhem and also quite often on other days as well.
    They should absolutely ban under 16's without a parent because the continual fighting etc, is an absolute disgrace.
    You would have to see it to believe it.
    Glades security and perhaps 30-50 police officers can't control them.
    Last time they were cycling and running up and down my road as well being chased by the police.
  • Options

This.

Ridiculous. 

Centre.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023

This.

Ridiculous. 

As well people can enter The Glades via Marks n Spencers plus H&M, are they going to have security on the doors there as well, probably not.
    Apart from this, it should be the police being by the doors, not security staff.
    I cannot see this working very well.

• Options
    Bromley went downhill when I moved out
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    clb74 said:
    What I have noticed is a lack of variety in shops and places opening and closing all the time. Where the Wagamamas is, was seen as an area of new restaurants, yet only wagamamas remains and rest of places are all empty sites. 

The opening of the Vue cinema was seen as a new great place with restaurants around it for people to go, yet that is always very empty and soulless around it.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    clb74 said:
    What I have noticed is a lack of variety in shops and places opening and closing all the time. Where the Wagamamas is, was seen as an area of new restaurants, yet only wagamamas remains and rest of places are all empty sites. 

The opening of the Vue cinema was seen as a new great place with restaurants around it for people to go, yet that is always very empty and soulless around it.
    There are 3 restaurants there, Wagamama, Marlowe's Burgers & Wing Shack Co.

• Options

This.

Ridiculous. 

As well people can enter The Glades via Marks n Spencers plus H&M, are they going to have security on the doors there as well, probably not.
    Apart from this, it should be the police being by the doors, not security staff.
    I cannot see this working very well.

Get the Just Stop oil lot down there for a slow walk at the same time 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    What's it come to when Old Bill are getting roughed up in shopping centres by kids?

Fucking hell!
    The sad inevitability of the way our law system has gone in the past couple of decades.

They see their parents/older siblings and friends getting involved in violence and crime and nothing happens to them, usually more serious stuff than common assault, so they believe they are untouchable too, and take the absolute piss.

I had a 14 year old kid last year on a train from Elmer's End to Lewisham try and mug me of my phone. He was thin and about 5'7", I am 6'2" and weigh nearly 15 stone, I laughed at the sheer audacity of the kid, but he was deadly serious. 
  • Options
    Loads on either the 227, 358 and 208 buses.
    Have been of the opinion for a while that Bromley is getting increasingly like Croydon.
    Nigel shops in both.
  • Options
    Friday 21st only. 

Good.