Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 TDi

Right should fingers crossed be buying a 2001 VW Golf on Monday been researching about them and they sound pretty good, the one I'm buying has 1 previous lady owner and done 80k its immaculate and drives lovely.

Reading online the dual flywheels that apparently go and cost £1000 to fix worries me. That's the only common fault I've found online..... Anyone own or owned one? Experiences?

Comments

• These cars are bullet proof got rid of mine 51 reg about 6 months ago with 170000 on the clock had it 5 yeears couple of wheel bearings was all plus a belt pully seizing once not bad in 5 years had 2 petrol ones before that as well both good as well s
    Should have no probs
    Also about 50-55 to the gall as well
  • These cars are bullet proof got rid of mine 51 reg about 6 months ago with 170000 on the clock had it 5 yeears couple of wheel bearings was all plus a belt pully seizing once not bad in 5 years had 2 petrol ones before that as well both good as well s
    Should have no probs
    Also about 50-55 to the gall as well

Good to hear! I've got a clio at the moment and it seems to did a new major problem every week I will never buy another French car!
  • My wife has one, the clutch went at about 100,000 miles. We hung on for as long as we could, but have had it replaced now. I don't think 100,000 miles is unreasonable, but the fact that they are made in such a way that requires the flywheel etc. at the same time is just one of those things.

Personally, I would recon on needing to spend £1k within about 20,000 miles and I would budget for it when you are buying the car.

In retrospect if we had the choice to do over we would have sold the car at 80,000 miles and bought a new one.
  • My wife has one, the clutch went at about 100,000 miles. We hung on for as long as we could, but have had it replaced now. I don't think 100,000 miles is unreasonable, but the fact that they are made in such a way that requires the flywheel etc. at the same time is just one of those things.

Personally, I would recon on needing to spend £1k within about 20,000 miles and I would budget for it when you are buying the car.

In retrospect if we had the choice to do over we would have sold the car at 80,000 miles and bought a new one.

I will be able to do it myself so nowhere near 1000 for me as, however still exspensive I know I am goin to fit the solid flywheel conversion if my DMF goes as the solids rarely go and our cheaper for the clutch and solid flywheel conversion it's 250/300 much cheaper! :-)

I will be able to do it myself so nowhere near 1000 for me as, however still exspensive I know I am goin to fit the solid flywheel conversion if my DMF goes as the solids rarely go and our cheaper for the clutch and solid flywheel conversion it's 250/300 much cheaper! :-)
    I wish I'd known you six months ago.
  • Good luck with it
    I bet its black?
  • I have a Golf and it is wonderful because I know nothing about cars, will only drive if there is absolutely no alternative and it gives me no headaches. Mine is blue.
  • Good luck with it
    I bet its black?

Spot on! Can't go wrong with black cars.

My wife has one, the clutch went at about 100,000 miles. We hung on for as long as we could, but have had it replaced now. I don't think 100,000 miles is unreasonable, but the fact that they are made in such a way that requires the flywheel etc. at the same time is just one of those things.

I wish I'd known you six months ago.
    Give me a month mine and I will know them inside out, if you ever need work done let me I'm only in Wrotham
  • Get a Series II Land Rover mate in swb, you won't regret it!

; )
  • Love mine, only had to have my alternator pulley changed in the year ive owned it. Bought it at 110k with its timing belt and water pump just changed. Now at 125k
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a 2000 TDCi (115bhp) version for the last few years and loved it. The engine died on me earlier this year and I sold it on, but I would definitely buy one again some day.

I've bought quite a few cheap old diesels over the years and just run them until death - it's still a pretty cheap way of motoring. Spending £1000 on a car will mean you're always liable to things going wrong, but if you've got the knowledge and tools to be working on it yourself, then you probably know more than most of us commenting here.

One thing I would thoroughly recommend is using the fully synthetic (and more expensive) engine oil. If you want to keep alive the idea that modern diesels are bullet proof and will do 200,000 miles, then forget about the cheap £50 services you see advertised.
  • Picked the car up this evening, loving it already everything works and is clean and it pulls very nicely a major improved than the battered clio I have now on eBay!
  • I've got a '99 T reg Audi 1.9 TDI... with 247,000 on the clock. It probably hasnt got long left but those 1.9 VAG diesels just go and go and go for a ridiculously long time
  • Older diesels like this Golf, and Medders' Audi for example are generally more reliable than what we have nowadays.

Most diesels have to have a DMF as a matter of principle. When they go wrong yes they cost about a grand.

Since 2009, EU legislation stipulated the installation of the Diesel Particulate Filter(DPF) to all new diesel cars. If the logbook for your diesel car has EURO V in the emissions category then your car has it.

Google what a DPF does please. These are such pigs of devices so its good that you got a car that does not have it.

Now manufacturers are pressured to build what appear to be more economic cars and people will go out of their way to buy a £20k-30k car just because it costs £0-30 to tax and gives 60-90 mpg. In the real world cars rarely give such returns.

in the past diesel cars had a reputation for dependability – they were slow but economical – then they became ever more refined and the engines went on seemingly for ever with basic, regular maintenance. High pressure engine systems, dual mass flywheels and diesel particulate filters have all improved their performance or cleanliness, but the technology has also made them much more expensive to fix when they go wrong. Modern diesels appear to be more problematic if servicing is not carried out exactly as specified, with the correct grade of oil, interval etc … and they don't like a diet of short journeys, which can often be a feature of modern life.

The trouble is that it is almost impossible for a the buyer of a used modern diesel to tell how it was serviced, or driven, prior to the purchase. Even if it comes from a main dealer, there are no guarantees servicing has been done correctly. Once outside the three-year warranty, manufacturers rarely help, leaving drivers to pick up the bill – which can be more than the car's value. Dual mass flywheel clutches at a grand, worn injector repairs at £400 each, failed high pressure pump heads at £500/£2,000, DPFs and Turbochargers @ £1,500+ they simply do not make for a good used car anymore.

I love diesel cars but they are getting so frighteningly complex that my next car will not be one.

• Not completely relevant to this thread, but I had a MKII Golf back in the 90's and must say, "It was the best damn car I ever owned"................................
  • There actually not sluggish like I thought it would be so far petrol is a lot worse than diesel
  • WIlmore i'm selling my SIlver VW Jetta, 08 reg with 48000 miles on, 2.0 TDI Sport, very nice motor.perfect nick as well. £7000 if anyone else interested. Read the parker review on them, its basically a golf but cheaper, and hold money better!
  • MCS said:

WIlmore i'm selling my SIlver VW Jetta, 08 reg with 48000 miles on, 2.0 TDI Sport, very nice motor.perfect nick as well. £7000 if anyone else interested. Read the parker review on them, its basically a golf but cheaper, and hold money better!

Sell it quick - that engine is a reliability timebomb

• I have a 55 1.9 Golf TDI. Its done 160,000 miles (previously a company car) and im going to have the DMF replaced as the clutch is making a big clunking sound. My mates a mechanic and said that DMF's are very expensive to replace (close to £1100 all in). HE asked whether i would be interested in getting it 'converted' back to a 3 part clutch. All went a bit over my head. Wondered if anyone has done something similar?
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ

Basically it's a flywheel in two concentric parts or two facing flywheels stuck together with flexible compound to damp down transmitted vibration from diesel engines, improve gearchange quality and protect transmissions from torque reaction at around 2,000rpm, particularly the change from first to second. A disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pork Pie, you mean DMF's are a disaster or converting is?
  • DMF, Chi. However make sure about this: Does the manufacturer of these kits make any claims/guarantees about vibration levels and/or engine life after installing one of these solid flywheels? The DMF is there for a reason.
  • ChiAddick said:

I have a 55 1.9 Golf TDI. Its done 160,000 miles (previously a company car) and im going to have the DMF replaced as the clutch is making a big clunking sound. My mates a mechanic and said that DMF's are very expensive to replace (close to £1100 all in). HE asked whether i would be interested in getting it 'converted' back to a 3 part clutch. All went a bit over my head. Wondered if anyone has done something similar?

Convert! Use a well known part manufactor such as valeo etc an make sure warranty is good :-) solids last a lot longer.
  • ChiAddick said:

I have a 55 1.9 Golf TDI. Its done 160,000 miles (previously a company car) and im going to have the DMF replaced as the clutch is making a big clunking sound. My mates a mechanic and said that DMF's are very expensive to replace (close to £1100 all in). HE asked whether i would be interested in getting it 'converted' back to a 3 part clutch. All went a bit over my head. Wondered if anyone has done something similar?

Convert! Use a well known part manufactor such as valeo etc an make sure warranty is good :-) solids last a lot longer.

Thank you WTR
  • On most old bangers the MHS can cause difficulties usually sorted by upgrading to CTFN